Insurance coverage for your children

KJ mummy

Dear mummies

Any mummy here with special need children has been rejected by CPF board to be covered under the Medisave?

As we know, Medisave is the basic insurance coverage given to all Singapore new born babies by government -CPF Board. My son was rejected to be covered under Medisave as soon as they found out that he has a neuro condition. He was initially covered under the Medisave when they sent me a letter to approve until I (well, naivley, stupidly, honestly..whatever you call me) declared my son's health condition with the medical report at their request. 2 days after they received my declaration form, CPF board sent me a letter to inform that they have to cancel his coverage!! I was so angry.

I have tried to insure my son with the private insurance companies thereafter but none of them is willing to insure him due to his neuro condition. Does it mean that our special need children will never get to be insured by any insurance company and even by our own government??

I must say that I am very disappointed with our government in this area because they should know how heavy the financial burden is for family with special need children in terms of their medical expenses and yet they rejected the basic medical help they can give to us.

Anyone can share your experiences?

KJ mummy

Dear mummies

Any mummy here with special need children has been rejected by CPF board to be covered under the Medisave?

As we know, Medisave is the basic insurance coverage given to all Singapore new born babies by government -CPF Board. My son was rejected to be covered under Medisave as soon as they found out that he has a neuro condition. He was initially covered under the Medisave when they sent me a letter to approve until I (well, naivley, stupidly, honestly..whatever you call me) declared my son's health condition with the medical report at their request. 2 days after they received my declaration form, CPF board sent me a letter to inform that they have to cancel his coverage!! I was so angry.

I have tried to insure my son with the private insurance companies thereafter but none of them is willing to insure him due to his neuro condition. Does it mean that our special need children will never get to be insured by any insurance company and even by our own government??

I must say that I am very disappointed with our government in this area because they should know how heavy the financial burden is for family with special need children in terms of their medical expenses and yet they rejected the basic medical help they can give to us.

Sorry...I meant MediShield coverage.

Mummy to Baby V

I can understand how you feel... son being rejected by basic MediShield coverage.
The document at http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/Home/Hybrid/themes/CPF/Uploads/Healthcare/General Information on MSH.pdf mentions that MediShield cover is provided on the basis of good health at the point of application, this is the same as private insurance. Also, there is an exclusion on congenital conditions, which is also common in most insurance plans.

You are right to have declared your son's condition. If this information was withheld, the cover would have been approved, you'd be paying premiums for years, until there is a claim, the Dr would mention the pre-existing condition on the Claim Form, and the claim would be declined and cover cancelled. That would be a bigger disappointment.

At least now, you can try sourcing for alternative cover for your boy, although it is difficult.

As insurance is risk-pooling for all insureds, there must be a proper system of allowed applicants, to ensure that the system can work. If the system is too lax, it would go into deficit, fail and in the end, no one gets proper coverage, whether special needs or not. Or the premium may be too high for most people to absorb.

With special needs children, parents may have to seek alternative assistance programmes, I think there is a financial assistance department at government hospitals to help patients in this area. For affordable healthcare in the long-term, you may have to consider Class C or B2 ward at government hospitals for the maximum subsidy allowed to Singaporeans.

Also, save some money every month to build a medical fund for your child to handle future needs.

You would need to ensure you and your spouse are sufficiently-covered by insurance so that your son would have enough funds to meet his expenses should you not be around.

Also, ensure proper nomination for your CPF moneys, do up a Will to specify proper instructions on who to take care of your child if you and your spouse are not around.

Seek help from a qualified financial adviser (someone who can do holistic financial planning, not just focused on selling you products).

KJ mummy

Hi Mummy to Baby Very

Thank you for your reply and it is definitely a piece of good advice! I guess you must be an insurance adviser :001_302:

I agree that the parents should have sufficient coverage for themselves if our special need children are not able to get insured. One of my concerns is what if one of the parents is not able to work because she needs to stay at home to look after the child. This would mean that there is only 1 single income for the family and I believe the priority would be given to pay for the medical expenses for the child instead of paying for insurance premiums.

My son has been hospitalised in Kandang Kerbau Hospital twice since his diagnosis and the medical bills were deducted from my Medisave. We chose the class B2 and C ward where we got subsidy from the government. I am wondering what happens if one day I can no longer work and need to stay at home to take care of him. My Medisave will be depleted eventually if I were to stop working.

My son was not diagnosed with neuro condition at birth. In fact, he was given a clean report at the point of discharged from the hospital. It was only when he was about 2 months old then the docs found out through MRI scan that his brain is not normal. So, does it mean that I should not be considered as withholding information about my son's health if I have declared his health before the diagnosis?

xiaochuan

Hi KJ Mummy

From what i was told, too young also cannot be insured. The insurance companies do not accept. As far as my research goes, there are no insurance plans for special needs children.

I agree with Mummy to Baby Very. Financial planning is very critical. U may like to check out this company called IPAC. They are professional financial planners. They do not sell insurance products. Only do financial planning.

epicurean

KJ mummy,

I had the same experience with CPF Medishield as you. They initially approved coverage for Seb and we were relieved & were happily rejoicing. Then they informed us that they were reviewing Seb's case (we also declared his condition which wasn't congenital but it happened at birth) and requested for his medical report from doc. Their final decision is not to cover him for anything related to epilepsy & GERD. Defeats the purpose of the coverage coz those are his primary issues after all.

We also tried many insurance companies ... all rejected our application. Most positive reply was "Apply again in 3 years' time and we'll review his case". It was discouraging & depressing.

Angelmum

Dear mummies

I had the same experience with CPF Medishield as you.

I bought Prudential for DD when she was 1mth old. When she was diagnosed with Angelman just b4 turning 1yr old, I checked with Prudential and was told they would allow me to carry on with the policy cos I was honest, I declared whatever I knew n I didnt cheat when I purchased the policy.

I decided to terminate because I prefer to hv money in my own bank for rainy days rather than stuck with insurance for 25 yrs. I hv Medishield but unsure whether DD has .... need to check.

It is not easy to get financial assistance because Govt doesnt want to exercise flexibility or additional assistance to special needs child/family. All financial assistance (sch, hospitals), household income must be below $1500. Those with household income $2000 will be rejected or be embarassed. I've not heard of successful cases of being awarded 50% off medical bill for those with household income $2000.... WE R ALONE to survive! Living in Sg is no $$ no talk!

Mummy to Baby V

KJ Mummy:
I was educated on total financial planning; am not a practitioner.

Read the section on "MediShield for Newborns & Youths" at CPF Board - Ask Us - Explore FAQ

Since your child's condition was diagnosed at 2 months old, the timing of the declaration is very important:
- When did you receive the MediShield mailer?
- When was the condition diagnosed?
- Did you indicate the diagnosis date on the reply mailer?

Example where an appeal to CPF Board may be possible:
- Baby born on 1 Oct 2009
- MediShield mailer sent out by CPF Board on 1 Nov 2009
- Cover auto-commences on 1 Dec 2009
- Baby diagnosed with medical condition on 5 Dec 2009
- Baby's condition may be covered!

If you think an appeal is possible, try contacting the manager in charge of MediShield directly. Contact Us
healthcare@cpf.gov.sg

Or get your MP to help with the appeal during Meet-the-People session?

---
When there is a special needs child in the family, financial planning is critical to ensure proper allocation of financial resources. Personally, I think that insurance planning forms the foundation of a strong family finance.

If budget is tight, I'd opt for low-cost term insurance instead of whole life insurance or endowment plans. Term insurance is actually very cheap: a 30-year parent can be insured for about S$100,000 at only S$10/month. Many people are unaware of this because the insurance industry is used to pushing for whole life and endowment insurance.

Dependants Protection Scheme (DPS) is a cheap term insurance paid through CPF Ordinary Account. Make sure this is in-force.

MediShield is also paid through CPF Medisave, so make sure this is in-force for the whole family too.

Home Protection Scheme (HPS) is also paid through CPF savings, it ensures that the remaining home loan is handled when the owner passes away. At least the remaining spouse and children have a roof over their heads. This needs to be in-force too. Those who have a bank loan or transferred their HDB home loan to a private bank loan may not be covered with this. So make sure this is covered by taking up a private MRTA (Mortgage-Reducing Term Assurance).

Personal Accident insurance is also very cheap and insurers may cover special needs children.

Personally, I focus my family's insurance planning on the critical areas. Only if spare budget allows, then we go for plans with cash value (whole life, endowments, ILPs).

Clarify the above with another qualified professional. All the best! :)

jean1986

If budget is tight, I'd opt for low-cost term insurance instead of whole life insurance or endowment plans. Term insurance is actually very cheap: a 30-year parent can be insured for about S$100,000 at only S$10/month.

As a financial adviser myself, I agree term insurance is very cheap and affordable for most and if one cannot afford to take up a life plan, should consider a term insurance. my friend who is 36 yr old is covered for 100K for a mere $50. At least if anything happens to him, his FOUR kids still have some money. Just that for term insurance there's no cash value and you won't be able to take any money back.

Those who have a bank loan or transferred their HDB home loan to a private bank loan may not be covered with this. So make sure this is covered by taking up a private MRTA (Mortgage-Reducing Term Assurance).

MRTA is actually a cheap insurance something like the term as well. But not many see the importance of it.

Personal Accident insurance is also very cheap and insurers may cover special needs children.

Most Personal Accident plans now are very affordable and comprehensive and you can even claim when you're not hospitalised unlike the shield plans. Everyone should have it.

Personally, I focus my family's insurance planning on the critical areas. Only if spare budget allows, then we go for plans with cash value (whole life, endowments, ILPs).

I totally agree with you. For people without budget, hospitalisation and accident plans are a must still. Now that I'm going to deliver soon and tight on budget, I still cover myself with hospitalisation and accident plan as I'm afraid hubby will not have enough if anything happens.

sxiao83

Hello,

I am a health professional, and am also quite familiar with the terms of insurance. I can understand how you feel, but do remember that the people who read your insurance proposals are usually not medical professionals. However, they are trained to weigh the risks associated with those conditions.

With that in mind, what you need to do is to provide reassurance. You have to ask the doctor a few questions:
1) Will the condition be permanent? Is there a chance for improvement?
2) How will the condition impair my child's physical ability, or risk of developing into something more serious?

If the condition is unlikely to lead to physically impairment (e.g. unable to walk), or deteriorate into a more serious condition, then you are likely to have higher chances of getting coverage. If there is a chance for the condition to improve as your child grows older, it would be even better.

Talk to the doctor you are applying for insurance, he/she should understand. The important thing is to explain the condition in such a way that does not FRIGHTEN the insurance company. If there is a lay term to explain the condition, use the lay term. For example, many children will have Acute Bronchitis. It is extremely normal. Lay people will call it flu and cough with phelgm, and that doesn't sound to scary. You know what i mean?

Hope that helps!

sxiao83

I just saw a post on cancelling coverage by Angelmum. If there is still a chance to revive that policy, please really do so. Insurance coverage is really very important, otherwise Obama won't be having such a tough time with the Republicans.

Try to diversify insurance plans. Buy from various companies, because different insurers have different way of evaluating your claims. Buy at least 1 Whole-Life limited pay plan (like TM Asia or NTUC Vivolife), and boost the coverage with ILP (AXA iflexi) or Term plan (HSBC/Aviva/NTUC). Buy a hospital & surgical plan, a personal accident plan(AIA flexiplus), and a female illness (AIG Venus)/ or early payout plan (TM Cancercare). About 30-40% of women who have cancers have breast cancer.

I've seen many sad stories.. so I'm definitely a firm believer of insurance.

jean1986

The important thing is to explain the condition in such a way that does not FRIGHTEN the insurance company. If there is a lay term to explain the condition, use the lay term. For example, many children will have Acute Bronchitis. It is extremely normal. Lay people will call it flu and cough with phelgm, and that doesn't sound to scary. You know what i mean?

Hope that helps!
yes i agree. even though i'm a financial advisor myself but I have loading for my own insurance as I'm a Hep B Carrier.Born with it, can't do anything about it and usually doesnt pose any problems, but insurance company usually quite "frightened".

Mummy to Baby V

Oh yes, and we need to ensure that our hubbies are well-covered by term insurance. The last thing I want is to have my husband pass away while I need to stay home and look after the children with insufficient money.

Sell the house? What if it is under a huge loan that needs to be paid off? Where to live then?

Simple example:
$2000 / month x 12 months = $24,000 / year
20 years till children are independent = $480,000!!!
If there isn't $480,000 in the bank or in the piggy bank, it means hubby needs insurance and LOTS OF it. Lotsa of insurance can be affordable too, S$500,000 term insurance is probably about S$50/month. :)

If budget is tight, don't be tempted to get plans with cash value, the cash value is actually supported by extra premiums.

Wives: make sure hubbies are well-covered.
Especially important for Stay-At-Home-Mums and families with special needs children.

KJ mummy

KJ Mummy:
I was educated on total financial planning; am not a practitioner.

Read the section on "MediShield for Newborns & Youths" at CPF Board - Ask Us - Explore FAQ

Since your child's condition was diagnosed at 2 months old, the timing of the declaration is very important:
- When did you receive the MediShield mailer?
- When was the condition diagnosed?
- Did you indicate the diagnosis date on the reply mailer?

Example where an appeal to CPF Board may be possible:
- Baby born on 1 Oct 2009
- MediShield mailer sent out by CPF Board on 1 Nov 2009
- Cover auto-commences on 1 Dec 2009
- Baby diagnosed with medical condition on 5 Dec 2009
- Baby's condition may be covered!

If you think an appeal is possible, try contacting the manager in charge of MediShield directly. Contact Us
healthcare@cpf.gov.sg

Or get your MP to help with the appeal during Meet-the-People session?

---
When there is a special needs child in the family, financial planning is critical to ensure proper allocation of financial resources. Personally, I think that insurance planning forms the foundation of a strong family finance.

If budget is tight, I'd opt for low-cost term insurance instead of whole life insurance or endowment plans. Term insurance is actually very cheap: a 30-year parent can be insured for about S$100,000 at only S$10/month. Many people are unaware of this because the insurance industry is used to pushing for whole life and endowment insurance.

Dependants Protection Scheme (DPS) is a cheap term insurance paid through CPF Ordinary Account. Make sure this is in-force.

MediShield is also paid through CPF Medisave, so make sure this is in-force for the whole family too.

Home Protection Scheme (HPS) is also paid through CPF savings, it ensures that the remaining home loan is handled when the owner passes away. At least the remaining spouse and children have a roof over their heads. This needs to be in-force too. Those who have a bank loan or transferred their HDB home loan to a private bank loan may not be covered with this. So make sure this is covered by taking up a private MRTA (Mortgage-Reducing Term Assurance).

Clarify the above with another qualified professional. All the best! :)
Hi Mummy to Baby Very

Thanks for your further information

You are right. I think in my case I do fall under the example where I can qualify for an appeal. I received the CPF Medishield mailer before my son was diagnosed with the neuro condition. In fact, they have already approved the coverage and only informed me that they have to cancel due to my son's diagnosis after I have sent them the medical report. I dont know if CPF will allow my appeal but i think I will give it a try.

My son is now in the hospital due to bronchities. Actually I am writing this in the hospital when he is now asleep. This hospitalisation is the longest stay ever ....almost coming to 2 weeks already. :embarrassed: Wonder how much will his medical bills come up to for this stay and how will my Medisave be deducted...

KJ mummy

If budget is tight, I'd opt for low-cost term insurance instead of whole life insurance or endowment plans. Term insurance is actually very cheap: a 30-year parent can be insured for about S$100,000 at only S$10/month.

As a financial adviser myself, I agree term insurance is very cheap and affordable for most and if one cannot afford to take up a life plan, should consider a term insurance. my friend who is 36 yr old is covered for 100K for a mere $50. At least if anything happens to him, his FOUR kids still have some money. Just that for term insurance there's no cash value and you won't be able to take any money back.

Those who have a bank loan or transferred their HDB home loan to a private bank loan may not be covered with this. So make sure this is covered by taking up a private MRTA (Mortgage-Reducing Term Assurance).

MRTA is actually a cheap insurance something like the term as well. But not many see the importance of it.

Most Personal Accident plans now are very affordable and comprehensive and you can even claim when you're not hospitalised unlike the shield plans. Everyone should have it.

I totally agree with you. For people without budget, hospitalisation and accident plans are a must still. Now that I'm going to deliver soon and tight on budget, I still cover myself with hospitalisation and accident plan as I'm afraid hubby will not have enough if anything happens.
Hi Jean1986

Can you recommend what are some good term insurance that we can consider and which are the insurance companies that have good term insurance ?

xiaochuan

Hi KJ Mummy

If you are in KKH, why dont u see the medical social workers for downgrade to Class C. Then going fwd, all your bills will fall under the subsidized category.

The drawback, you will never get to see the senior consultants again.

We had Dr Janice Wong, then Dr CT Choong.. but after downgrade, we only saw the junior docs in the neuro team.

KJ mummy

Hi KJ Mummy

If you are in Kandang Kerbau Hospital, why dont you see the medical social workers for downgrade to Class C. Then going fwd, all your bills will fall under the subsidized category.

The drawback, you will never get to see the senior consultants again.

We had Dr Janice Wong, then Dr CT Choong.. but after downgrade, we only saw the junior docs in the neuro team.
Hi Xiaochuan

We are already on subsidised ward. My son is seeing Dr Simon Ling..dont know if he is one of the team docs but for sure is he is not a consultant there..probably a registrar at most. He is good though..very open to our feedbacks on the medications..not the type that expects us to listen to him all the time becos he is the doc ! Very caring towards my son too.

My son only saw CT Choong once when he was diagnosed to have the Infantile Spasms and CT Choong was called in to discuss the medication to give. Afterthat, no more of her..well becos we are on subsidised rate.

We are also seeing Janice Wong/Keith Goh on a private basis for the stem cell infusion.

Angelmum

Hi Xiaochuan

We are already on subsidised ward. My son is seeing Dr Simon Ling..
We are also seeing Janice Wong/Keith Goh on a private basis for the stem cell infusion.

Dr Janice Wong leaving KKH. Used to see Dr Ling but after KKH had this Child Medical Centre, we were given ANY Dr who's on duty. Tell myself, I'm just there 3 - 4 times/yr + no new issues so decided not to complain (use feedback form) Both Drs are nice. They gave me the impression, they know my girl's problem.

teenie

recently there are some feedback on papers n tv
that bbs born with special needs shld be given covered by govt insurance

hopefully they will implement soon
and hope more families with kids not covered by insurance can voiceout

may i know any platform we can voice out besides writing in to the papers?

JoStan

Hi KJ mummy,

Just to check you mentioned about stem cells infusion, Are you referring to stem cells injection for special needs children.

I ask because my son has been to china for stem cells therapy for a few times. I didn't know they have that in Singapore now?

I have managed to buy insurance for my son with global developmental delay and epilepsy but they exclude all injuries that could be cause by epilepsy