Introducing solids n water

mrs_eg

Hi,

I will be introducing solids to my daughter very soon. I have read that it is advisable to refrain from giving water to baby before 6mths (or before introducing solids) so I have been adhering to that.

However, I'd like to ask... When we start introducing solids to babies by 1tablespoon, 2tbsp and so on... How much water shld we introduce? Too much water will still harm their immature kidney which is trying to get used to water as well rite??? Anyone knw if there is a guideline???

Appreciate ur help here! :)

apollo

when i 1st introducing water to ds, i give bit by bit. let him drink abit aft the semi-solid food and throught out the day. i think total intake of water was ard 30-60ml per day when he started having water den slowly increase..

mrs_eg

when i 1st introducing water to ds, i give bit by bit. let him drink abit aft the semi-solid food and throught out the day. i think total intake of water was ard 30-60ml per day when he started having water den slowly increase..
Oh thanx apollo!

Btw... Will drinking water prevents constipation??

apollo

i think yes (for babies who started semi-solid). cos during the 1st 6mth, they have been drinking milk and milk is alrdy water but once they started semi-solid, have to intro water alrdy if not might get constipation easily. when we 1st intro ds semi-solid, his stool was abit hard until he get used to semi-solid and drank more water. =)

mrs_eg

i think yes (for babies who started semi-solid). cos during the 1st 6mth, they have been drinking milk and milk is alrdy water but once they started semi-solid, have to intro water alrdy if not might get constipation easily. when we 1st intro ds semi-solid, his stool was abit hard until he get used to semi-solid and drank more water. =)
I see i see... Thanx!
Hope I hav the intuition to draw the line among water, solids, n milk... If not giving too much water may impede the intake of milk, which is more vital !!

Mummy to Baby V

I read from a babycare book that offering water at 6 months old through cup is more for cup training.
Recommended is max 1oz for a start, to prevent affecting milk intake. Usually, I only offer a few sips.
Can offer EBM through cup too.

My boy is now 2 years old and he drinks vegetable soup stock with his meals. Then sip a little bit of water in day. I find soup much more nutritious than plain water. He pees a lot so this is a good sign of hydration.

When baby has tried several vegetables such as carrot, potato and celery, you can start making soup stock to cook porridge too. More nutritious and tastier than using water to cook.

Breastmilk contains lots of water and prevents constipation, so as long as baby is still taking lots on breastmilk, should be fine.

Also, offer steamed pears to ease bowels. Gradually, introduce papaya, peach, plum, prunes which are all great for preventing constipation. For my boy, prunes work best. I get refrigerated vacuum-packed organic ones from health store or organic section in grocery store.

Last edited: