Is baby carrier recommended for infants?

corinne22

My hubby wants to buy a baby carrier (those that looks like haversacks) as he thinks it is easy to carry and convenient as well.

But my friend told me that baby carriers are not recommended until baby gets a little older (ie. above 6mths at least or even older). Reason being infants bones are very fragile and are not strong... So it is not comfortable and not advisable for infants.

My friend even quoted me that her daughther rested on the carrier and resulted to a "dent" on her cheekbone.

I'm confused if I should get one for my coming baby.

For those mummies who have experience with this, could you please advise? Also, please let me know what brand you using so that I can take note too?

Thanks so much all!

apollo

My hubby wants to buy a baby carrier (those that looks like haversacks) as he thinks it is easy to carry and convenient as well.

But my friend told me that baby carriers are not recommended until baby gets a little older (ie. above 6mths at least or even older). Reason being infants bones are very fragile and are not strong... So it is not comfortable and not advisable for infants.

My friend even quoted me that her daughther rested on the carrier and resulted to a "dent" on her cheekbone.

For those mummies who have experience with this, could you please advise? Also, please let me know what brand you using so that I can take note too?

Thanks so much all!
Depends on which type of baby carrier u r using. IMO, a good baby carrier is very impt, invest on a good one.

Many mummies recommend Baby Bjorn. I have seen babies as young as ard 2mth old (judging from their size) using it.

For ds, I actually bought a MIM sling but i dont really know how to use. I started using those mei tai carrier when he was 4mth+ onwards. Cause is more convenient and easy to use for me. But of course, usually we only use it for short trip, like when we're going out to run some errands, usually within 1-2 hrs. We used that until ds was ard 9 mth old and we bought a Manduca baby carrier. It can be used from 3mth old onwards.

I can tell you Manduca is very worth buying. We feel no stress on the our shoulder. After 1yo, can use to 'piggy-back' the child.

Before you decide on any carrier, always bring along your baby to the retail shop to try it out.

corinne22

Thanks apollo! Hmmm... Will go and read up on Manduca before making any purchase.

Hopefully X'mas sale is around the corner and I shall look out for it! :)

P4nic

apollo

where u buy Manduca carrier in singapore? How much u bought it?
Seems not bad to me.. can use from newborn till 20KG.

apollo

apollo

where you buy Manduca carrier in singapore? How much you bought it?
Seems not bad to me.. can use from newborn till 20KG.
P4nic,

i bought from a shop at Square 2. They sells many types of slings and carriers. Initailly i wanna get Beco cos it is pretty but aft trying, the SA reco me Manduca, as ds is very big size.

Here is their web Baby Slings & Carriers - Contact Us. it is better to bring ur baby down (aft ur baby is 3-4mths old) and try out different types of carriers b4 buying, the staffs are very friendly and helpful, will reco u the 'right' carrier that suits ur baby. hehe..

P4nic

i wanna get one that newborn baby can use also.. my hubby prefers to use such carriers~

apollo

i wanna get one that newborn baby can use also.. my hubby prefers to use such carriers~
for NB bb, i personally feel that a sling will be better, cos their neck are still fragile.. from what i was told, Manduca is suitable from 3mth old onwards =)

Jovy

With my baby I used sling from birth to 2 months old. After that I used baby bjorn coz he is so strong he can actually hold his neck and lift his head up. Very convenient to have it so easy and easier to move around. He loves the carrier he fell asleep on it each time i carry him with it. I honestly think he loves it better than sitting on his pram all the time. A bit of waste for me as I even bought to prams. how old is your baby nway??

Baby carriers are very good for newborns to toddlers. I got my sling from a friend when my baby gal was abt 3 weeks and used it until she's 1. I'm expecting my second baby now and will wait until he's born before I go shopping for a new carrier.

The baby sling and carrier shop (Novena square 2) is great to shop at as the lady there is really friendly and gives good advise based on your budget and requirements. She suggest that I should have my baby first before buying the carrier as I will have a good feel of the carrier with my baby in it.

littleone

Thanks so much all!
for newborns the beco butterfly is great it comes with a insert for them, can hold up to 20 kilos I use it with my infant son and 2 year old girl, ergo also has a infant insert but have to buy seperate,

I dont reccomend the bjorn beacuse baby is just hanging by the crotch I prefer them to be in the seated position, thats just my personal opion! but agree pop into the carrier shop at novena, and try before you buy as they can get very expensive!

apollo

Baby carriers are very good for newborns to toddlers. I got my sling from a friend when my baby gal was about 3 weeks and used it until she's 1. I'm expecting my second baby now and will wait until he's born before I go shopping for a new carrier.

The baby sling and carrier shop (Novena square 2) is great to shop at as the lady there is really friendly and gives good advise based on your budget and requirements. She suggest that I should have my baby first before buying the carrier as I will have a good feel of the carrier with my baby in it.
yes the lady was very friendly, not pushy. she told us to consider 1st afterall the carrier is not cheap. and she told us to take our time to try and choose the suitable carrier for ds. =)

paperger85

It is recommended that we use a sling up to baby is 4 months old before we use a carrier. I bought a BabyBjorn initially but sold it off as my baby is very heavy and the BabyBjorn balances their weight on their crotch area and it was uncomfortable for my girl.

I bought a Manduca carrier later on and have not looked back since then.

corinne22

for newborns the beco butterfly is great it comes with a insert for them, can hold up to 20 kilos I use it with my infant son and 2 year old girl, ergo also has a infant insert but have to buy seperate,

I dont reccomend the bjorn beacuse baby is just hanging by the crotch I prefer them to be in the seated position, thats just my personal opion! but agree pop into the carrier shop at novena, and try before you buy as they can get very expensive!
Thanks for the advice! Where can I find beco butterfly? Roughly how much it costs? Can it be sling, front & back carried?