Is bm oily

catherlyn

Recently I find that after dear daughter finish drinking there will b a layer of yellow coating on top on my leftover ebm in the bottle. The bottle also look oily is this normal? Is there anything wrong with my bm?

camom

BM is oily due to the fats content.

When you store bm in the fridge or freezer, you will find a thick opaque layer on top (fats) and the watery milk below. Bcos bm is not pasteurised, it looks like this. Just need to lightly shake the bottle or container to mix it up before you feed.

uddermummy

The oil in bm is good oil, DHA actually, that is crucial for bb's eye and brain development. This DHA is also included in many FM.

And this oil in bm doesn't cause any stomach upset etc, just in case some pple try to scare you off.

To increase the amt of dha in your milk, you have to make sure that you have a healthy diet and try to eat fish at least 3 times a week.

cocraze

Sorry use this thread to sidetrack on a related question. I understand that EBM tends to have fats so will have layer of oil. Anyone noticed whether it causes the teats and other silicon (non plastic) parts of the breast pump to be oily too?

I noticed a slight layer of oil feeling on the teats and the silicon attachments on my Avent pump. Wonder how mummies wash it off? Is it ok to rinse with water first then later wash with baby bottle detergent with the whole lot of Bottle washing after some time?

Or advisable to wash with detergent asap so that the oil/fats doesn't stick to silicon for longer than necessary and deteriorate the quality?

Does brushing with a bottle brush help at all? I used it but brush+plain water doesn't get it off as well as using baby detergent.

camom

Sorry use this thread to sidetrack on a related question. I understand that EBM tends to have fats so will have layer of oil. Anyone noticed whether it causes the teats and other silicon (non plastic) parts of the breast pump to be oily too?

I noticed a slight layer of oil feeling on the teats and the silicon attachments on my Avent pump. Wonder how mummies wash it off? Is it ok to rinse with water first then later wash with baby bottle detergent with the whole lot of Bottle washing after some time?

Or advisable to wash with detergent asap so that the oil/fats doesn't stick to silicon for longer than necessary and deteriorate the quality?

Does brushing with a bottle brush help at all? I used it but brush+plain water doesn't get it off as well as using baby detergent.
Of course, the oil sticks to everywhere it touches. I would think it's ok to rinse then wash later but pls make sure you clean it well and thoroughly.

Don't think it deteriorates the quality but I cld be wrong. My pump parts are still working fine after more than 1 year of usage without replacement. I don't wash after every session, I will wash at the end of the day only and leave the whole thing in the fridge during sessions.

Mummy to Baby V

Using WARM water, mild baby dish detergent and bottle brush or soft sponge can help clean the bottles properly.

After every pump session, it is important to clean the pump parts thoroughly and sterilise before use (for young babies) because leftover milk particles could turn rancid quickly.

Happy breastfeeding! :)