Is confinement necessary??

seraph

Right confinement is good proactive solutions, but traditional confinement kills

when deliver my 1st kid, I got lots of free advices from downstair aunties:
- no shower,
- not drink normal water, just Longan & red date tea;
- black sesame for everything;
- chicken all the way;
- bed rest for 30 days ...

Those ideas work well for old days in china, when:
- it has winter, catching cold could be killing in ancient time;
- people used to drink cold water, they dont't have convenience of gas;
- most people are underfed;
- Ladies used to do lots of heavy house work, no vacuum, no tab water ...

But now, those concepts just make no sense for current environment in Singapore: Here is so hot, so humid, people are so much over fed... those aunties carried those old concepts from China to this hot Singapore, in fact, most concept need double consider.

- No shower? sure will die of own bad smell, I shower in the 2nd day after C-section...
- just take Longan & red date tea: certain amount is good for replenish blood, but overtake will reversely effect, just like over dose of Vitamin C -- luckily I knew medicines and herbs;
- Black sesame: so heating item, so oily, how can people just take this? people will surely have constipation with this, and new mommy and baby may get rashes as well;
- old Gingers: come on, it definitely been over done here! Ginger is good, but most people in Singapore do not need it! because in this hot country, our body got too much heat and "Yin" deficiency (due to lack of sleep or late sleep), over eating ginger is just worsening the health!
- Chicken: old chicken is to wean the milk, due to the high dose of female hermond in those flesh, plus, so oily, it blocks milk glands -- that aunty specially asked me to eat those chicken -- no wonder her daughter in laws got no milk to feed baby -- wean in the 1st day!

luckily my mommy was here, she is professor in home country, she also knows lots of confinement concepts, but she just told me several tips:
- no house work: because internal organs are not fully recovered and the belly muscle is still loose, forcibly lift some heavy things may result in uterus collapsed. sounds logic to me, so followed, anyway got maids do everthing.
- No cold water: if get stomach upset will impact on baby; so I take warm water, soups, and juice.
- No bare feet on floor: After lose lots of blood in delivery, the blood level is low and blood circulation is not as good as before, so it is easy to catch cold... I did not follow as lazy, but later my feet start to ache as if standing on needles bed whenever I stand on floor, so I start to wear slippers. I later figure out it was due to I was lack of calcium -- I did not take any Ca tablet, no milk, no cheese in pregnancy and breast feeding time, so I was heavily lack of Calcium and got the feet pain, so finally I followed mommy's suggestion, but for the other reason.

my mommy cooked all confinement food for me, more balanced nutritions and soft food, more green veggies for folic acid, but all normal food ingredients, just avoided flavoring, less chilly, less salt, as these items may burden baby's fragile system. I had no problem in having those food, and I daily have fruits -- I had no problem in toilet issues.

my mother spent too much effort in my nutrition plan: I had very low blood pressure in pregnancy (about 47 by 70), but I have to breast feed baby (all my kids were allergy to formula milk), and my blood count and pressure dropped more after breast feeding for a month: I suffered weak hearing and blur vision... after my 1st confinement, we all thanked God!

For my 2nd delivery -- my mother read many books and consulted many old doctors before my delivery, she turned to be a real expert, and in fact after my 2nd delivery, my health is much better than before, thanks to her care.

So, confinement or not, just depend on your situation, no general answer. Some people do need, while some may not. just depends on your own life style.

seraph

forgot one thing: as Apollo mentioned, rest is very imprt, I slept over 10 hours daily -- hubby call me a pig -- maybe that was how I still could manage full breast feed my babies when I got so much problems in my own health.

i think confinement is necessary as it helps to build back your body strength.

it's easy to do confinement these days. can hire a confinement lady to help out with the confinement food and taking care of the baby.

if not just get your mil to help if they can. cook simple dishes, add or drink waist tonic and eat healthy food.

some people will usually not shower during the first few days of the confinement period or even throughout the whole period. no washing of hair also.

Hi mummies,

I'am also looking for an agency that will provide me confinement nanny..
me and my baby is now 2 weeks now after giving birth to her. Please inform me if you know one! thanks.

mrsxu

I did my confinement for 3 weeks. Was quite hormonal towards end of 2nd week that hubby and I decided to end it by end of 3 weeks. We just weren't comfortable with a stranger taking over the household and with all the restrictions. Felt loss of privacy and freedom as I'm used to managing my own time and schedule, and dont't like someone checking me out all the time (even when I'm doing personal stuff like internet shopping, home massage and BFing)

During confinement, had to follow the rules
- can only drink warm red date herbal drink
- must sit down to eat and drink, cannot stand
- must wash face and hands with cool boiled water
- must use da fong ai to wipe body or bath. Wipe body daily, bath once a week. Start to wash hair after 10 days, thereafter once a week, but must blow dry immediately
- must wear slippers, cannot barefoot
- eat food cooked with ginger and sesame (told CL that my body heaty type, so she tried adding less)
- drink tonic soup before bedtime 2nd week onwards
- cannot help baby clean poo or bath coz cannot touch tap water. (I felt ok after 1 week of rest and really keen to hands-on)

Things allowed
- Selected veg (rich in iron type)
- Selected fruits, mainly apple and dragonfruit 2nd week onwards
- oscillating fan during BF coz I was sweating nonstop. Sleep air-con at night.

I do believe that the confinement restrictions (loss of freedom, the heat) + CL (loss of privacy, different culture background) added to the blues such that I became ultra-sensitive and weepy. To me, confinement is even tougher than pregnancy and delivery! And if I have known (nobody told me), would possibly opt not to have CL or just daytime help, and follow the practices selectively.

i am so glad to have read this posting....i also super weepy, CL is good but i just cannot tahan not doing hsework n seeing my kit being taken over.....i feel like ending my confinement earlier too but i scare i carn cope with baby.

diorly

I do 'modern confinement' so im allowed to bath, wash hair everyday, on aircon.. my confinement nanny is cool with it, asking me to oblige to a few rules. Bath only with the herbal shower, must blow dry after washing hair, aircon cannot blow directly towards my head or body, and then cooking wise she is very good. I enjoyed the ginger dishes and lemongrass dishes too. Sweat out a lot. I used to be scare of cold, i always must wear sweater in office one. But after doing the confinement, i am not scared of cold already. my hands always feel warm. Last time go watch movie, i MUST wear sweater, now i can dont wear one. :)

So doing a good confinement is very important. For ppl who have migraine, if u do well in ur confinement, u will not have migraine anymore! It really helps to boost up ur health!

It may be ex to engage a CL but then I think it'll take the load off taking care of a newborn and adjusting to a new lifestyle. And to just rest before you get back to work etc.

And no need mum or MIL to interfere etc coz may get friction, heheh...