is epidural a must?

snowy28

hi all mummies

have you opted for the epidural during your pregnancy?
if you did not opt for it, can u tahan the pain?
cos i am thinking whether can i tahan the pain or not

I did not take epidural though i cried cos i cannot tahan the pain but i keep telling myself i am going to endure cos i m going to see my precious gem soon... and i got over it..

CarolOng

It's not a must.

I didn't take epi, jus took laughing gas & a jab in the thigh to help dilate faster.

To me, the pain was bearable.... veri veri bad stomach cramp.

yan2

Its an option. Wait till the actual day then you decided...if can not stand the pain then take epidural. Stay calm and relax.

When contraction comes, breath in and out..see the machine (forgot what is the name) , you can tell when contraction is coming...

I think it is something you have to keep an open mind about, decide on the day you might be ok with the pain you dont know untill you are there, with my first I was planning to have nothing I had it all, my second child I thought it would be the same but only ended up having gas, you just dont know untill the day, so dont stress over it,

Last edited:

BbpHir3

epi is not a must..
i only used "laughing gas" for my previous delivery.. lyk every pregnancy is difference, so is every delivery.. everyone got diff pain threshold.. so it actually depends on yourself, if u cannot take the pain, den u can opt for the epi.. it's not necessary for u to make a decision now.. meanwhile, u might wanna find out from your gynae if your baby is big/ small, in comparison with your hip bone.. it's to gauge the "duration" and the "smoothness" of the delivery.. this is wat i realise after some "research" with other mummies.. u might oso wanna find out the cost of having epi and the side effects that it might have~~

but is it true that epidural only will be administered before the cervix fully dilated?? so can't ask for it too late else they won't give and ask us to endure the pain right?

sugarcookie

Keep your options open. If you feel you need an epi, then just take it. Nothing wrong with having it.

I opted for epi right from the start.

sugarcookie

but is it true that epidural only will be administered before the cervix fully dilated?? so can't ask for it too late else they won't give and ask us to endure the pain right?
That's right. Think you can only request for epi before you hit 6cm...after that, not much point as you will be delivering soon and by the time the anaesthetist arrives, your baby will probably be already in your arms.

PinkDiamonds

I took epidural and it helped me to get through my labor very quickly. It also helped me relax to dilate. Within 6 hours I was done.

I was determined to go through it by enduring, but I was sharing the delivery room with 2 other mummies who were screaming and cursing away, VERY DISTRACTING. So instead I said, "give me the epidural" and I went to sleep. LOL.

They will give you the epidural dose so that it lasts right before you have to deliver, so that you can feel the contraction and can push. If too late they cannot give you anymore. My friend advice is, if by 3-4cm you feel you can put up with the pain, then just endure it through.

austrina

itz up 2 individual whether u hv high tolerance of pain or low...
4 my case i took epi 4 my 2 preg... think will oso go 4 epi 4 my upcomin 3rd 1... coz i SCARED OF PAIN :embarrassed: lolx...
itz realli up 2 u... if u can tahan e pain den u skip e epi if nt den go for it...

anything jus pray 2 GOD & he will take away ur pain... *smile*

Porukadotzu

yes its not a must, if you're having a healthy pregnancy and gynae give you green light for natural birth then why not?

at first i was scared of the pain but somehow i was also curious to know how tough am i to endure labour pain haha..:tlaugh: so i decide to take only the gas and shot at thigh and try to enjoy every second of contraction with scream and push and kept telling myself 'I've felt the worse before so this is NOTHING!" hihihi :001_302:.

But in the end after baby come out you won't feel a single pain anymore! only tears of joy :Dancing_wub:! you will feel you already win something...

so if you're also curious about your own strength then don't focus on the pain...you better focus on the baby afterwards.

Hi there,

epidural is not a must.
Though i have gd tolerance of pain for piercings,injections etc..
But i still take epidural, cus personally cannot tolerate that pain.
Took it at 1cm somemore, sounds like a loser. But most importantly, baby comes out safe and good.

jasobias

Easier to push when on epidural as the pain wont be holding u back.For my first 2 kids epidural didnt really work so when it was time to push i really held back n in the end kena use forceps n the other one vacuum.For my daughter i insisted on stronger dose n cldnt feel any pain so after pushing a few times only baby came out!!

annie

i too has low threshold for pain but i want to feel how labour is like (crazy? hehe) so i tell myself not to take it. in the end, never take it. no laughing gas, no shot in the thigh nothing! i totally dun feel pain cos i wasnt dilating lol. then gynae induce me after 7hrs of waiting for dilation.. then after induce immediately the pain comes! then i buay tahan the min pain comes n keep telling hubby to go tell doc i want to take epi! lol. but when doc came, he check my cervix n tell me 'dun need liao your bb is coming out!'. faint.. just after 20mins of induction i was wheeled to labour ward n after 3 pushes my girl is out. total only took me 40mins! meaning only pain for 40mins.. i wanted epi but then no time to take lol. how i wish all my delivery can be so fast! but its... PAIN! i thought i will cry but i didnt cos its too painful till i dunno how to cry lol. the nurse ask me to breathe in n out but i tell her i cant cos once pain comes i hold my breathe lol

snowy28

thanks all mummies
i have low threshold of pain too, but i think i will try to opt out for it as they say the side effects of the epidural is bad and i will try the laughing gas which i never heard of ehhe.........

is laughing gas ex???

cos if opt for the epidural on the actual day they say will be too late and ex also.........

some inject already also feel the pain thats why i am in a dilemma

snowy28

epi is not a must..
i only used "laughing gas" for my previous delivery.. lyk every pregnancy is difference, so is every delivery.. everyone got diff pain threshold.. so it actually depends on yourself, if you cannot take the pain, then you can opt for the epi.. it's not necessary for you to make a decision now.. meanwhile, you might wanna find out from your gynae if your baby is big/ small, in comparison with your hip bone.. it's to gauge the "duration" and the "smoothness" of the delivery.. this is what i realise after some "research" with other mummies.. you might also wanna find out the cost of having epi and the side effects that it might have~~
what is laughing gas??? is it sufficient enuff to forget the pain or no pain at all?