Is formula the next best alternative if baby still refuses to drink ebm?

bibiluvr

hi mummies,
i've tried all almost all methods posted in this forum as well as from resources online.. but my 9 month old bb still refuses to drink from bottle, or rather, expressed breast milk.. no matter if it's freshly expressed, given in bottle, via spoon feeding, sippy cup or straw..i dun mind latching her on but the problem is, I'll be returning to work in Sept, so i've only 1 month more to train her..

As my mil would be the one looking after her, she suggested me (many times liao) to give her formula and bf her when in the morning and when i'm at home.. but I REALLY wish to bf her exclusively, as in, no formula, until she's at least 1 yr old.. but do i have any choice???

soapsoap

hi mummies,
i've tried all almost all methods posted in this forum as well as from resources online.. but my 9 month old baby still refuses to drink from bottle, or rather, expressed breast milk.. no matter if it's freshly expressed, given in bottle, via spoon feeding, sippy cup or straw..i dont mind latching her on but the problem is, I'll be returning to work in Sept, so i've only 1 month more to train her..

As my mother in law would be the one looking after her, she suggested me (many times ) to give her formula and bf her when in the morning and when i'm at home.. but I REALLY wish to bf her exclusively, as in, no formula, until she's at least 1 yr old.. but do i have any choice???

do not give ur baby formula if not she will refuse EBM one, i also try alot of bottle in the end my gal want those cheap milk bottle from medical store and the teat i change to pigeon rubber one which only cost 2 for $3.50.

the first few time bottle feed try not to be feed by mummy, get daddy or ur MIL to feed if not baby will know mummy is there they will want to latch on.

don give in to formula, keep on trying cos i aslo facing the same problem as u and my gal now is onli 3 month old, now she is willing to take from bottle when she is in good mood or she is very hungry, and my baby have loss some weight because she don like bottle

dont worry, life is full of choices :) If you had made up yr mind to bf her exclusively then you will have to be determine & firm. it's goin to be tough cos 1 month to train her is rather short but doesn't mean you won't succeed.

Like what soapsoap had mentioned get other family members to feed her so she will learnt from that. If she refuses bottle fed despite numerous attempts, dont give in easily, she will definitely struggle & cry. you had to ignore her cues and let her be 'cold turkey' (it will takes up to few days to a wk) till she surrender and takes the bottle. No bottle mean No milk for her! If anyone wants to interfere with yr decision, politely tell them you r able to be deal with this in yr own way and goes to yr room. I know it's hard for mummy to see her baby crying helplessly but then again when the battle is won, it's all worth it! :red:

dont let anyone to doubt you for giving the best gift to yr baby. I wish you luck & success! :Dancing_wub:

bibiluvr

dont worry, life is full of choices :) If you had made up yr mind to bf her exclusively then you will have to be determine & firm. it's goin to be tough cos 1 month to train her is rather short but doesn't mean you won't succeed.

Like what soapsoap had mentioned get other family members to feed her so she will learnt from that. If she refuses bottle fed despite numerous attempts, dont give in easily, she will definitely struggle & cry. you had to ignore her cues and let her be 'cold turkey' (it will takes up to few days to a wk) till she surrender and takes the bottle. No bottle mean No milk for her! If anyone wants to interfere with yr decision, politely tell them you r able to be deal with this in yr own way and goes to yr room. I know it's hard for mummy to see her baby crying helplessly but then again when the battle is won, it's all worth it! :red:

dont let anyone to doubt you for giving the best gift to yr baby. I wish you luck & success! :Dancing_wub:
hopefully i can succeed.went to see her pd last week as my bb had fever. I asked the pd if there's any way of increasing her weight, (she finally reached 7kg at 9 months but due to the fever, dropped to 6.5 kg), she suggested formula... sigh...should i or should i not start???

JazN

Her weight drop may be due to her being sick. My daughter doesn't like bottle feeding at all whenever I'm away since she gets older. Thus my mum says feeding her is like a battleground & daughter screams like someone is ill-treating her. My mum managed to feed her via spoon but sometimes if daughter stubbornly refuse she'll wait till she's hungry then feed her.

Your daughter is not don't like EBM more likely she doesn't want any bottle feeding.

JessTan

Hi...
I understand how u feel..as my bb also reject the bottle when i try to train him within a month too! my bb is four months old now and i started using the bottle with EBM last month. .He bite and cry and refuse to take the bottle, but i just persist and put the teat in his mouth. .after 10 minutes of struggling he finally gave up and suck. .this happen almost every single feed but it just gets better each time.. of coz he prefers my breast, but now he can take in bottle feeding with EBM and am going to work tomorrow...will definately miss my time with him...so dear mummy, please persist and try, if ur bb cry its normal..he is not rejecting ur milk, but the bottle.. it is two different skill to drink from breast and from the bottle.. so not to be depressed, am sure ur bb can do it! :)

hi mummies,
i've tried all almost all methods posted in this forum as well as from resources online.. but my 9 month old baby still refuses to drink from bottle, or rather, expressed breast milk.. no matter if it's freshly expressed, given in bottle, via spoon feeding, sippy cup or straw..i dont mind latching her on but the problem is, I'll be returning to work in Sept, so i've only 1 month more to train her..

As my mother in law would be the one looking after her, she suggested me (many times ) to give her formula and bf her when in the morning and when i'm at home.. but I REALLY wish to bf her exclusively, as in, no formula, until she's at least 1 yr old.. but do i have any choice???

Mummy to Baby V

A 9 month old baby has a stronger mind to reject the bottle more stubbornly than a 3-4 months old.

I agree with the other mums that baby is rejecting bottle/cup/spoon not rejecting the milk. If so, baby will also refuse to drink formula milk from bottle/cup/spoon right?

In fact, many breastfed babies dislike the artificial taste of formula milk.

Have you tried syringe and open cup? Syringe-feeding is less prone to spillage.

Yes, let someone else do the feeding. When Mum is around, bb would be tempted to latch on. Hide in a room? Leave home for a short while?