Is it a must to start solids?

zenmoonflower

I would start later with yogurt and cheese if I were you, because these two dairy products have cultures - babies' stomachs might not be able to take it?

meiteoh

I would start later with yogurt and cheese if I were you, because these two dairy products have cultures - babies' stomachs might not be able to take it?
Actually, these cultures are good bacteria that helps aid digestion and build the immune system. They are more commonly known as probiotics.

zenmoonflower

I see...good to know that. I tried my 9 month old on cheddar cheese once, but I noticed that, afterwards, he had some red spots/small patches on his face. Not sure if it was due to the cheese, so I've decided to hold off for a while before introducing dairy to him.

meiteoh

I see...good to know that. I tried my 9 month old on cheddar cheese once, but I noticed that, afterwards, he had some red spots/small patches on his face. Not sure if it was due to the cheese, so I've decided to hold off for a while before introducing dairy to him.
What type of cheese did you introduced - in blocks or those cheese slices?

meiteoh

What about those sliced cheese like Kraft singles?
Not necessarily have to be Swiss or cheddar. Any kind of block cheese like Edam, Gouda and the likes are suitable for babies as well. Read the ingredients list - good cheese should only contain milk, culture and rennat plus salt (salt is a part of the cheesemaking process). Note that in Singapore, almost all cheeses here are made from pasteurised milk so no worries about that. You might want to avoid blue cheese - these are often packed in wedges.

Cream cheese is also a good option and is less saltier than block cheese. But I'd avoid those with herbs as you don't know what kind of herbs they use and it could just be flavouring! You can make your own if you like by just buying plain cream cheese and adding in whatever fresh herbs you want.

Avoid sliced cheeses like Kraft singles as they are not really cheese but leftover cheese melted down with milk and then later flavouring, colour and more salt is added. These are at least 50% saltier than block cheeses.

Last edited: