Is it a must to take prenatal vitamins?

dwarfs8

Hihi, i'm ttc now. Had miscarriage in apr and just recovered frm piles and fissure, now trying again. Asked my gynae if i shld take prenatal vitamins, he said i can, but will cause me to have constipation problems again cos of the iron and calcium... He said to just try gain vitamins and minerals from food, and the only vitamin WHICH I REALLY need is only folic acid (he kept emphasizing on that). haha.

So my question is if i DON"T take prenatal vitamins, will my baby be less healthy? even worse still, i have a fren who told me that moms who take prenatal vitamins have babies who are smarter!!

pls advice.

Last edited:

JazN

gynae will usually prescribe prenatal vitamins. yes it's true that these vitamins can come from food but i believe you'll then need to ask gynae how much of food should be taken to ensure you've all the required nutrients and minerals for you to conceive again, probably draw out a meal intake plan?

gynae usually ask moms to take fish oil which will make the unborn baby smarter, etc. There are various other reasons that may make the baby unhealthy not just bcos not taking pre-natal. I guess your gynae will be in a good position to inform & advise what to take & help you in your conception journey.

dwarfs8

gynae will usually prescribe prenatal vitamins. yes it's true that these vitamins can come from food but i believe you'll then need to ask gynae how much of food should be taken to ensure you've all the required nutrients and minerals for you to conceive again, probably draw out a meal intake plan?

gynae usually ask moms to take fish oil which will make the unborn baby smarter, etc. There are various other reasons that may make the baby unhealthy not just bcos not taking pre-natal. I guess your gynae will be in a good position to inform & advise what to take & help you in your conception journey.
my gynae believes in being natural... Ya, i should ask him how much food i shld take is sufficient. One problem though, i'm a small eater... how about fish oil/DHA supplements? An essential? I read articles frm internet, mostly said yes...

mommysnake

Take folic acid prior to ttc..as for prenatal vitamins, its optional cos its a supplement.It is best to check with ur gynae wat dosage to take if you intend to take them.

Hmmm..I havent heard of taking prenatal vitamins produce smarter kids,lol(i hope so) but i know these vitamins are quite 'heaty', if u are taking them everyday, do drink more water to prevent constipation.

I took prenatal vitamin (new obimin) prescribed by my gynae from 2nd tri onwards and im still taking them nowas im nursing my baby.:)

mommysnake

I took 5mg too (prescribed by gynae) before and during pregnancy..if u are not sure abt the dosage on taking any prenatal vitamins or supplements, pls check with ur gynae just to play safe..good luck! :)

xiaodaisy

Hihi, i'm ttc now. Had miscarriage in apr and just recovered frm piles and fissure, now trying again. Asked my gynae if i shld take prenatal vitamins, he said i can, but will cause me to have constipation problems again cos of the iron and calcium... He said to just try gain vitamins and minerals from food, and the only vitamin WHICH I REALLY need is only folic acid (he kept emphasizing on that). haha.

So my question is if i DON"T take prenatal vitamins, will my baby be less healthy? even worse still, i have a fren who told me that moms who take prenatal vitamins have babies who are smarter!!

pls advice.
wen u dont take prenatal vitamins dont mean babies will be less healthy and not smarter den babies who took prenatal vitamins ..

i'm a mother who dont take any pills at all for my #1 & #2 boys , so its just a mentally thinking of people's mind.. =)

mengmeng

Hi heard from my friend that we need to drink more milk to provide calcium for our body.

Is it true? Because i don't drink milk at all.

Thank in advance

dwarfs8

Hi heard from my friend that we need to drink more milk to provide calcium for our body.

Is it true? Because i don't drink milk at all.

Thank in advance
if you search through the internet about this, you will find that it's true that preggy moms need more calcium and iron then the normal person, as it's needed for the growing babies.

However, you don't have to drink milk to get calcium. I can't drink milk too as i'm rather lactose intolerant. I'll bloat if i drink. So i get calcium from calcium fortified soya milk, they have some iron in it too. I take my calcium frm sardines as well. You can eat calcium fortified cereals, tofu, spinach, almonds, brocolli, beans, salmon too. Last but not least, you can get calcium from prenatal supplements. :)

Last edited:

kumkum01

Good post !!!! Thanks for sharing useful information here... i believe you'll then need to ask gynae how much of food should be taken to ensure you've all the required nutrients and minerals for you to conceive again, probably draw out a meal intake plan?
gynae usually ask moms to take fish oil which will make the unborn baby smarter, etc. There are various other reasons that may make the baby unhealthy not just bcos not taking pre-natal. I guess your gynae will be in a good position to inform & advise what to take & help you in your conception journey.......:err::err: