Is it normal for 6wks to nurse for 5mins??

bluedaphne

My 6wks old bb is currently only nursing for 5mins (max. 10mins), is it normal?
her feeding schedule is every 2-3hr...

and if i offer her my right breast, she will normally nurse 5mins, and nurse for another 5mins when i offer my left breast.
but if i offer her my left breast first, she nurses for 5mins and refuse to nurse anymore even i offer her my right breast...
will this greatly reduce my right breast supply?? is it normal?

pls help..

ast0212

It is normal for some babies to be very efficient at the breast especially with a good milk flow. Babies can nurse anywhere between 5 minutes to 1 hour or even longer and it is all normal (mine was a half-hour nurser. 1 hour during growth spurts). If she is content after drinking - she's had her fill. If she hasn't had enough she will let you know :)

Continue to feed on demand for however long your baby wants and you will maintain a good supply :001_302:

bluedaphne

hi,

thks for the reply.
yupz she looks contented after every feeding. :001_302:

thks again for the assurance!! cheers

When my boy was few weeks old, he only latch on for 5 mins too. He cries for milk every 1.5 hr and I'll just feed on demand.. The more he latches and drink, the more milk I'll produce.. So why not? :) he's 8 months old now and still wanna suckle every 2 hours and I'm still enjoying the bonding!

maichiang

its very much normal...mi boi used to latch on for very short time too! like abt 5-10mins n he would doze off..i used to worry so much tt i would keep offering him..now he's a healthy hefty boi n he still latches on for a short time only..enjoy bf!!=D

bluedaphne

thanks pillowhugger01 and maichiang..

ya was not vr sure if she is getting enough breastmilk. but feel much better now after your assurance and encouragement!!

just feed her on demand ~~~ :001_302:

lyra

My 1 week plus baby drinks for 5-10min and dozes off too. But he kept sleeping and I have to wake him up every 3 hourly for feeds. Should I be very worried? I thought if baby drinks for only a short period, he won't get the hind milk?

its very much normal...mi boi used to latch on for very short time too! like abt 5-10mins n he would doze off..i used to worry so much tt i would keep offering him..now he's a healthy hefty boi n he still latches on for a short time only..enjoy bf!!=D

bluedaphne

My 1 week plus baby drinks for 5-10min and dozes off too. But he kept sleeping and I have to wake him up every 3 hourly for feeds. Should I be very worried? I thought if baby drinks for only a short period, he won't get the hind milk?
Went for my dd's 3mth jab, was told by the nurse @ polyclinic to at least nurse her for 20MINS... but how to do tat when dd really wont latch more than 5 or 10mins.. sigh!! the nurse said her weight and height not so good (less than 25%tile).
she is now 5.6kg
super depressing.....

ast0212

Went for my dd's 3mth jab, was told by the nurse @ polyclinic to at least nurse her for 20MINS... but how to do tat when dd really wont latch more than 5 or 10mins.. sigh!! the nurse said her weight and height not so good (less than 25%tile).
she is now 5.6kg
super depressing.....
3 months and 5.6kg? That is excellent and nothing to worry about! My son was about 4.5kg at 3 months!

I usually don't listen to about 90% of what these nurses say... a lot of the time they give outdated or unfounded information. Best to do your own research :)

Anywhere on the charts is healthy! It can't be considered good or bad unless there is a 90%ile baby who drops significantly to like 25% or lower then there is something to look into, but if your baby has been steadily growing on a curve - there's nothing to worry about. My son was on the 3%ile for a couple of months and he is a really healthy boy, just small.

Don't let these nurses let you worry for all sorts of reasons, they're very good at doing that!

You're doing a great job! Believe in yourself that you are a good mother :)

bluedaphne

thx dear ast0212...

its demoralizing when they said ur bb is nt gaining enough weight.. she was 5kg last mth, i read for bf baby should be gaining 150gr every wk?
meaning, my bb should be around 5.6kg this mth, which is quite accurate right??
and she said ur bb is short..only gain 0.5cm since last mth..

wondering if i pump instead of direct latch. coz its really difficult to latch her for a good 10mins.
she is super kpo nwadays.. looking here and there while nursing. Sigh......

Jmumi

dont't give in too bottle first. Try breast compression when you latch on yur baby. Press & hold firmly on the breast and push toward the areola. This is encourage baby to drink more. Also let her stay on one breast as long as possible, dun change side unless she unlatch & cry for more milk. This is to ensure she gets the hindmilk which contains more fats.

ast0212

thx dear ast0212...

its demoralizing when they said ur bb is nt gaining enough weight.. she was 5kg last mth, i read for bf baby should be gaining 150gr every wk?
meaning, my bb should be around 5.6kg this mth, which is quite accurate right??
and she said ur bb is short..only gain 0.5cm since last mth..

wondering if i pump instead of direct latch. coz its really difficult to latch her for a good 10mins.
she is super kpo nwadays.. looking here and there while nursing. Sigh......
There really isn't a 'should' for babies. Take it as a guideline for textbook babies but not what your baby is supposed to do as every baby is different :) That's why I find most books and health practitioners add more unnecessary pressure on parents just using the word 'should'. Ignore it.

Breastfed babies tend to gain weight rather slowly and not evenly, which is why breastfeeding mothers are encouraged to look at their babies' weight over a period of time like monthly or every couple of weeks rather than weekly. Some months they will gain more, and others they will slow down...it's all normal. Same with height, some babies shoot up quickly while others are quite slow...it's genetic as well - if both parents or even grandparents are short in stature and petite in weight they can't really expect a tall gigantic baby.

With latching on the older some babies get, the more efficient they become at the breast. Not all but some :) The best way to measure if they are getting enough is by output because what goes in must come out! So if your baby is peeing and pooing lots, you're both doing well!! I wouldn't force her to latch longer than she wants...babies are the best at deciding when they've had enough, not the nurse.. how would the nurse feel that your baby is full?? Bottles don't exactly help either but that's completely up to you :) From personal experience drinking more milk didn't make bub put on more weight or height. At one time I was breastfeeding my baby every 40 minutes after a feed to try to increase his weight! It was crazy and I felt I was boobs glued to the sofa! It didn't make him put on more weight....so after a while I realised my baby is just small and there's nothing wrong with that despite what the doctor said.

It is totally normal they become easily distracted around 3-4 months because they realise there is more to the world than mummy and baby. Try to latch on in a quiet place if possible, otherwise you can offer milk more often. But really, if baby is happy and healthy (not getting sick all the time) then it's all good :)

bluedaphne

yaaa... she pee and poo alot, so i guess she really has enough. otherwise not much input how to have output horrr?

when i am going out, normally i pump and bottle feed her outside, she drinks super slow.. so i am wondering, is she really getting enough BM in 5mins of latching?

but overall, she is a happy and healthy baby. she looks chubby to many of us (friends and relatives) :)