Is it ok to buy insurance for my unborn baby?

rainbowgirl

Can i check if it is normal to start enquiring about insurance for newborns or a baby that is still in the tummy? And normally what type of insurance you all will choose for this bundle of joy? I am looking at great eastern as they are offering an sg50 promotion where jubilee babies not only receive a gift pack but also a year of free health coverage

IFAadvisor

I did a copy and paste from my thread.. Hope you don't mind.

Pre-Natal Insurance?

I felt that the pre-natal insurance is quite a marketing tool to target the love of parents for their unborn child..

If you really look at what is insurance..

It is an arrangement by which a company or the state undertakes to provide a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a specified premium.

The core plan is a investment linked policy, which starts with covering mum for Death, TPD, CI (maybe $2400 annually)
Then only you can get a pre natal rider (what you really want).. at $3xx+, seems beautiful.. but the catch is that their risk is limited to $5,000
They preach child will be covered, but if you really read the benefits, it will guarantee cover the child in event of Death, TPD (excluding congenital conditions), same goes for the CI portion.
At the end , you end up funding a investment linked plan that takes a lot from your premium paid through premium allocation and due to cost, it cannot provide coverage for your child's lifetime.
In closing, just add the first year premium of $2400+ $3xx, and with the intention to cover pre-natal risk, but insurer only provides $5,000. I share with clients to take the risk.

The mother should relook at their coverage when they are expecting, since pregnancy has risks. takes care of herself and spouse.
When child is born, quickly get the medical and proper life insurance coverage.

You can PM for more information what to plan for.

Rebar

I bought prufirst gift when I was only 18weeks pregnant with 2nd child. I heard about this plan during first pregnancy. Did not think it was impt then until my first child was born with some congenital issue. Although not life threatening but requires long term follow up. So for 2nd baby I not going to take the chance. Better to secure something for baby first. Those interested to find out more about the plan, can PM me for my agent's contact number. She is nice and patient.

laurajoy

Hi mummies!

I bought my felxi maternity care from great eastern bcoz they are the only company that provides me & unborn since week 13. i feel early coverage is better since im getting it thoughout my pregnancy :D

JK1688

Maternity insurance is very affordable for "unborn baby".

It actually acts as an safety net for both the mummy and baby, so I doubt any parent-to-be will skim on such expenses.

If interested in Great Eastern maternity plan, feel free to contact me.

Cheers