Is it ok to let my 9-month-old try durian?

zenmoonflower

This question's been on my mind these couple of days. Not sure if I should let my 9 month old son try durian, because it's heaty and very sweet. But, my husband and I like to eat durian, so it would seem a capital crime if our son doesn't. And it's an acquired taste, right? Plus, now is the time to let him try all sorts of different foods for the different tastes and textures. So, I think a little bit would be ok? What do you all think? Yay or nay?

xicloudix

when my boy was around 8 mth, we bought durian and he in his walker walk over... we let him try... and he went crazy!! asking for more!!! and at that point of time, even until now, he refuse all semi solids.... and yet he want durian.. we was like.. wow durian have such a big power for him to open mouth... haha .... we let him have another few try and stop him.... i think taste taste is ok ba...

bUt of coz, durian is no good... too sweet

apollo

I personally did not introduce durian to my son when he was only 9 mth old, like what you said, cos it is too sweet. His 1st try on durian was ard 15 or 16 mths old. =)

meiteoh

That sounds reasonable. Maybe I'll let mine try only when he's 2 years old.
Eva is 19 mths old and she has yet to try durian - not because it's sweet (there are other sweet fruits out there and we are talking about fructose which is fruit sugar and definitely healthier than sucrose (table sugar)) but because I hardly eat durian. :p

Amulet

my DD first try durian when she was around 7months old.. just abit for her to try.. she seems fine with it, but doesn't really like it.. haha

xicloudix

So now he won't eat any other semi solids besides durian? Oh dear.
no lah.. even before that he already dun like semi solids he loves his milk milk.... what i meant is, even until now although he dun like semi solids (strange boy haha) BUT if see durian he wan eat haha....

Ting

i think it is fine as long as it isnt a daily or frequent affair. :) pin loves durian!

zenmoonflower

when my boy was around 8 mth, we bought durian and he in his walker walk over... we let him try... and he went crazy!! asking for more!!! and at that point of time, even until now, he refuse all semi solids.... and yet he want durian.. we was like.. wow durian have such a big power for him to open mouth... haha .... we let him have another few try and stop him.... i think taste taste is ok ba...

bUt of coz, durian is no good... too sweet
Yeah, I was thinking of letting him have a taste. But I won't specially go out and buy durian just for him to eat. Let's say we pass somewhere selling durian (not very likely, since I only know one place to buy durians: Geylang. And I won't bring him there), then I might buy.

xicloudix, if at 8 months old, he only wanted to drink milk, and not take semi-solids, did that mean your son put on weight very slowly? Cuz milk only isn't adequate nutrition for kids once they pass 6 months of age. How old is your son now?

My boy was already showing an interest in what we 'grownups' eat very early on. He'd watch us, he'd drool, he'd wanna put things in his mouth. So we started him on rice cereal mixed with milk. Then later, slowly more and more - I've let him try cucumber (only once), papaya, banana, avocado, apple, pear, jackfruit (just once, too), potato, cheddar cheese, chicken, egg yolk, broccoli, beef...He doesn't like anything with beef in it. Maybe the taste is too strong for him.

Are strawberries, oranges and grapes ok for my son now? And what vegetables would you all recommend I let my son try? I'm not giving him much in the way of green leafy vegetables, only 'sweeter' veggies like carrots and sweet potato. But I do want to start giving him more green veggies, so I'd like some recommendations and suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:

meiteoh

Are strawberries, oranges and grapes ok for my son now? And what vegetables would you all recommend I let my son try? I'm not giving him much in the way of green leafy vegetables, only 'sweeter' veggies like carrots and sweet potato. But I do want to start giving him more green veggies, so I'd like some recommendations and suggestions. Thanks!
Avoid berries likes strawberries - notorious for allergies and citrus fruits like oranges because of its high acid content. Best to wait till 12 mths.

For green veggies, you can give things like kailan, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, long beans, zucchini and peas.