Is it true that your 1st child will get jealous when u are pregnant with 2nd?

polopolo

Hi everyone,

Is it really true that your 1st child gets jealous during ur 2nd pregnancy that he/she will anyhow throw tantrums out of no particular reason?

Can anyone share your experiences with me? Cos I am preggie now, my son seems so out of control, thats not his usual self. And there wasn't anything happening at childcare ctr or at home that will make him feel stressed.... Really cannot figure out... He likes to hit me and my hubby nowadays... Help!!

Sweetoothz

hey polopolo,

i'm a first time mom but i can share w u what is happening to my 1 year old nephew. his mom which is my sister-in-law is pregnant w their 2nd one too n lately my nephew has been clingy and seems to be wanting attention from all of us. he will turn to me or hubby or my mom to carry him even at home. the minute no one entertains him, he will start crying n screaming! he wants, more like demands attention 24/7 except when he's sleeping...

engel

Could b that my #1 was too young at a year old when my tummy was obvious; she wasn't extra clingy or needed more attention. We gave her her usual kisses and hugs .. And include her in rubbing my tummy and kissing her 'mei mei'..
When my #2 was borned when she was at 15mths, ppl around us fawned over the younger. But while others were cuddling the younger, we would b hugging the elder to not make her feel left out..

Now at 18 mths, she still doesn't have an issue with jealousy ...infact she looks out for her mei mei, would kiss her on her forehead and find toys to sooth her when she cries...

Maybe I just got lucky ...:) but maybe giving both of them enough attention and showing that we still love them both helps...

polopolo

Hi Sweetoothz & engel,

Thanks for sharing your experiences... Me n hubby have been giving my son our 100% attention le, duno how to give more, I guess he must have realised there is another baby cos I cun carry him anymore... Alright, I'll pay even more attention to him... Thanks!!

cn211279

I'm also pregnant with my 2nd child. My tummy is not very obvious yet but to prevent jealousy from taking place, I have been telling him that he is going to have a didi/meimei soon. I borrow books from the library to share with him what a sibling is all about.
He is not happy about it. He always tell me that he don't like didi/meimei... but I persist anyways. After some time, he seems to have reconciled with the idea that there is a sibling coming along, he still don't like it but at least now when I tell him about my growing tummy, he says he also has a growing tummy with meimei inside. :)
BTW my son is 3 years. The reason why I keep telling/reminding him about the coming sibling is that I understand that my son needs pre-warning.
Example, when he goes to the playground, I will tell him that we will go home in 5 mins time. He doesn't like it and often will reply NO. But when it is time to go, he will leave without making a fuss. But if I don't pre warn him, he will throw a terrible tantrum when it is time to leave.
Try to see what works with your child and there's no harm in pampering him more as well to show him that your love for him will not be affected by the 2nd child.

ast0212

I'm pregnant with my 2nd and my 19 month old son can't stop kissing and patting my growing belly! He knows her name and tries to share things with her like a cup of water....which of course ends up on me.

As for behavioural changes, I do notice changes in my son but I don't think it is due to a 2nd baby coming, it seems more like developmental changes - him wanting to assert his independence, throwing tantrums etc..normal toddler stuff.

xiaodaisy

alot of 1st child do as they worry the love for them will be lesser , however if u let them know that other den another baby will come on e way and nthing will change the love for them , guess they will be better =)

my eldest boy is 1+ wen i had my 2nd boy , he's understanding at tat point of time and didnt always pester me to carry , or flare temper on me ..

currently having my 3rd baby , the 2 boys are very ok maybe due to age and they can understand just that i have a cousin tat is extremely jealous of the baby as she worry that in our family , she wont be the only girl anymore as i'm expecting a baby girl =)

and nothing i can do to change her mind as she super dislike the moment she see my tummy lol

Jenni

Hi,

It true, I was pregnant with my 3rd one now... When i still donno that i was pregnant, my second ger keep on stick to me... Even slp also wan mummy everything only wan mummy...

Very tiring... :bsad::bsad: