Is it true?

maichiang

Hello mummies..i'm a 6 week old boy's mommy..i am currently latching baby on as frequently as possible and pumping 4hrly..supply seems to be increasing..

was jz wondering if supply increases to the amt tt i want and i decide to stop pumping,will it decrease the supply? as in i juz latch baby on and do ocassional pumping? cz i heard from a couple of people tt pumping can actually cause decrease in supply faster as compared to having only your baby latched on. And also that once you start pumping,your milk supply days/mnths are numbered!=S

pumping seems to be changing my nipple..baby seems to be 'hating' my nipples now..he will alwayz fuss before taking my nipples..plus am using avent manual pump too..so tiring to keep pumping for total of 40-50mins 4hrly..

5 week is still too early for ur supply to stabilise. On ard 8 week ur supply will stable as in ur body know how much milk and frequency to produce milk.

As for pumping, I don't think will drop ur supply back if u stop pumping coz it a way of removing the milk. The more u remove the milk from ur breast, the more u produce.

As for manual pump, tat the down side of it. Tk so long and hand so tired. I got an xtra electric pump if u interested let me know. I left my email here u can contact me if u need any help. Coz I understand how it feel when u got so many question to ask but don't know how.

alsh0103@hotmail.com

maichiang

5 week is still too early for ur supply to stabilise. On ard 8 week ur supply will stable as in ur body know how much milk and frequency to produce milk.

As for pumping, I don't think will drop ur supply back if u stop pumping coz it a way of removing the milk. The more u remove the milk from ur breast, the more u produce.

As for manual pump, tat the down side of it. Tk so long and hand so tired. I got an xtra electric pump if u interested let me know. I left my email here u can contact me if u need any help. Coz I understand how it feel when u got so many question to ask but don't know how.

alsh0103@hotmail.com
thnks so much! sure to mail you if i haf any Qs=D

ast0212

I guess pumping will decrease supply if you are exclusively pumping and you are pumping less frequently? If you are latching on and pumping as well, you're removing a lot of milk, so more milk will be made! :D

If your baby is rejecting your breast, it could be either breast rejection or nipple confusion. Some babies go through phases of not wanting to drink at times even though they're hungry but they get over it quickly too. Nipple confusion usually occurs when a bottle or dummy has been introduced early (less than 3 months). My son went through this as well, he would kick and cry and pull back not wanting drink more after a let down because even though he had EBM once a week, he preferred not having to work for milkies. It is so much easier to drink from a bottle. I stopped giving him EBM and it got better.

If you are latching on directly you don't need to express milk until your supply has stabilised - let your baby determine how much milk you need to make :) If you need to increase your supply, the best way is to offer the breast as frequently as possible. Offer top up feeds 40 mins after a feed, or even snack feeding is ok as well because it stimulates the breasts into making more milk.:001_302:

I guess pumping will decrease supply if you are exclusively pumping and you are pumping less frequently? If you are latching on and pumping as well, you're removing a lot of milk, so more milk will be made! :D

If your baby is rejecting your breast, it could be either breast rejection or nipple confusion. Some babies go through phases of not wanting to drink at times even though they're hungry but they get over it quickly too. Nipple confusion usually occurs when a bottle or dummy has been introduced early (less than 3 months). My son went through this as well, he would kick and cry and pull back not wanting drink more after a let down because even though he had EBM once a week, he preferred not having to work for milkies. It is so much easier to drink from a bottle. I stopped giving him EBM and it got better.

If you are latching on directly you don't need to express milk until your supply has stabilised - let your baby determine how much milk you need to make :) If you need to increase your supply, the best way is to offer the breast as frequently as possible. Offer top up feeds 40 mins after a feed, or even snack feeding is ok as well because it stimulates the breasts into making more milk.:001_302:
Hi ast, how did you get over your son's problem? Just stop giving Ebm? When he kicks n cried n didnt want to suckle the breast, what to do?my daughter (6wks) is having the similar problem as you described above "kick and cry and pull back" even when there is a let down. She is like this for more than a wk.she only drinks when she is half asleep, sometimes she only takes one side of breast. I am so worried that she is not getting enough milk.

Hi ast, how did you get over your son's problem? Just stop giving Ebm? When he kicks n cried n didnt want to suckle the breast, what to do?my daughter (6wks) is having the similar problem as you described above "kick and cry and pull back" even when there is a let down. She is like this for more than a wk.she only drinks when she is half asleep, sometimes she only takes one side of breast. I am so worried that she is not getting enough milk.
Well, my baby is six weeks old and she behaves like your daughter too. I have to latch her on several times because she pulls back. She struggles sometimes when I try to latch her on again. I keep trying until I make sure she has a full feed. Sometimes, she'd cry her lungs and I latch her own because I thought she is starving. When she is latched on, she sucks only one breast for about 15 min before falling asleep. She started behaving like that also about a week ago.

I think it is just a phase the our babies are going through. I am no worrying too much about it.

If ur baby is pooing regularly and is gaining weight, u don't have to worry about her not recieving enough nutrition. I weigh my baby every week. She has gain one kg since birth and has grown 10cm. What about yours?

I think it is just a phase that babies are passing through, like growth spurt.

ast0212

I did stop all EBM and latched him on directly and when he started latching off and crying I would settle him and try again and eventually he would stop and drink up. It started around 8 weeks I think and it ended around 4 months when I found that stopping EBM helped my son. He's had only 2 EBM at 8 months (he's turning 1 in two days) and he was ok with breastfeeding after.

For my son I believe I introduced the bottle too early. It could be different for your daughter. You can try different techniques and see what works. Some people found that walking and feeding at the same time helps. It seems to be a common behaviour from what I've read and as Mehmehsheep mentioned, baby is fine if they are getting lots of wet nappies and gaining some weight over time. I weighed my baby at 6 weeks and again at 3 months and he did gain weight so at least he was getting the milk.

Don't give up :)

maichiang

My boy has started doing that!!! i heard that sometimes for some reasons,babies will refuses to drink milk..it could either be the BM or FM..i thought my boy was rejecting my milk,so depressing lah..mommy is going through so much trouble to make milk then baby dun want to drink..but am relieved seeing your posts..

infact,i was thinking of exclusively pumping..but i like my baby latching on,i feel so much closer to him..btw i used to pump 4hrly for a week..haf stopped doing it 4 hrly cz really cant take it..esp at night time and using the manual pump for so long..shld haf bought electrical..haix..so now i do when its engorged or the baby wont drink..

Now one of the problems is that I don't know if I shd pump or not, if baby did not drink. She gets fussy when I have letdown, I read somewhere this could be due to too strong milk flow, pumping is one of the causes for it. So I thought I shd stop pumping. I used to pump 2-3 times per day on top of full latch on. On the other hand, I scare that if I don't pump and baby doenst suckle long enough, my milk supply will drop. She seems doing better at those mid night feeds, pees at least 6 times per day, does this mean she is getting enough milk? At 1mth check up, she gained 1 kg from birth weight. But she only behaved like that after her full month, She is six weeks old now, don't know her weight now.

Well, my baby is six weeks old and she behaves like your daughter too. I have to latch her on several times because she pulls back. She struggles sometimes when I try to latch her on again. I keep trying until I make sure she has a full feed. Sometimes, she'd cry her lungs and I latch her own because I thought she is starving. When she is latched on, she sucks only one breast for about 15 min before falling asleep. She started behaving like that also about a week aagain
I think it is just a phase the our babies are going through. I am no worrying too much about it.

If ur baby is pooing regularly and is gaining weight, u don't have to worry about her not recieving enough nutrition. I weigh my baby every week. She has gain one kg since birth and has grown 10cm. What about yours?

I think it is just a phase that babies are passing through, like growth spurt.
Do you use special scale to weigh ur baby?

ast0212

Now one of the problems is that I don't know if I shd pump or not, if baby did not drink. She gets fussy when I have letdown, I read somewhere this could be due to too strong milk flow, pumping is one of the causes for it. So I thought I shd stop pumping. I used to pump 2-3 times per day on top of full latch on. On the other hand, I scare that if I don't pump and baby doenst suckle long enough, my milk supply will drop. She seems doing better at those mid night feeds, pees at least 6 times per day, does this mean she is getting enough milk? At 1mth check up, she gained 1 kg from birth weight. But she only behaved like that after her full month, She is six weeks old now, don't know her weight now.

My son was the same, during the night feeds he was so calm as compared to the day feeds.

If your daughter has 5 or more wet nappies a day, she is getting enough :)
Not too sure if pumping increases flow. I wish it did! I think I have a slow flow. This article may help in understanding fast flow/oversupply, hope it helps:

Australian Breastfeeding Association - Too much milk

And one on Breast Refusal:

Australian Breastfeeding Association - Breast Refusal

It does get better. Both mum and baby learn to breastfeed so after a while you'll both get the hang of it :)

maichiang

Same as yours..full latch on during day but baby dun drink at night..he's onli 7 weeks..so i express once at night..used to do it 4hrly..but cant take the troll of using manual pump 4hrly..

i am also afraid that my supply will drop if i dun express..n he too had gained 1kg frm birth weight..guess our babies are getting enough=D

Same as yours..full latch on during day but baby dun drink at night..he's onli 7 weeks..so i express once at night..used to do it 4hrly..but cant take the troll of using manual pump 4hrly..

i am also afraid that my supply will drop if i dun express..n he too had gained 1kg frm birth weight..guess our babies are getting enough=D
now i don't pump at all. Consulted breastfeed support group, they said no need to pump. Pump only if you want to have extra milk, otherwise supply=demand, no need to do anything. As for the night feed, my paediatration said "no need to wait baby up for feed" at 1 month check up, so i guess if baby doesn't drink at night, we just leave it, no need to do anything.

does you baby still poo everyday? my baby has no poo for 3 days, she is also 7 weeks (born on 17 Feb)

maichiang

now i don't pump at all. Consulted breastfeed support group, they said no need to pump. Pump only if you want to have extra milk, otherwise supply=demand, no need to do anything. As for the night feed, my paediatration said "no need to wait baby up for feed" at 1 month check up, so i guess if baby doesn't drink at night, we just leave it, no need to do anything.

does you baby still poo everyday? my baby has no poo for 3 days, she is also 7 weeks (born on 17 Feb)
mine doesnt poo daily..once in 2 days..at the most is once a day..tts all..3 days? mine didnt poo for 3 days as well..bt den on the 4th day he poo-ed..mi baby was born on the 14th feb..so whilst i was recovering at home..you were pushing out your baby=D

mine doesnt poo daily..once in 2 days..at the most is once a day..tts all..3 days? mine didnt poo for 3 days as well..bt den on the 4th day he poo-ed..mi baby was born on the 14th feb..so whilst i was recovering at home..you were pushing out your baby=D
today is the 4th day, still no poo! sigh!

yumitan

hmm if dont pump supply will drop? my baby is quite fussy at the breast during the day as well, so i dont force him if he dont wanna drink.. if i force him, afraid that he will hate the breast soon :(