Is once weekly enrichment program enough for 2 years old?

Jenn7766

I am a working mother and have a 18 months old toddler. I have enrolled my girl in the Julia Gabriel Centre's (JGC) bilingual play club for 2 hours on Sundays (starting in 6 months time). May I know if this will be sufficient for her development till 3 years old or will I need to enrol her on a 2 hours playgroup daily? In the meantime, I am playing flash cards, drawing, colouring, reading and playing activity games with her such as bowling, beating the drums, tamborine etc.

My focus for her development from 2-3 years old will be speech, language and numeric literary, fine motor skills, social interaction and integration skills as well as other interests such as arts and crafts or music. These skills, hopefully, will prepare her better and reduce her separation anxiety when she enters nursery/kindgergarten. Ultimately, I will be sending her to a full day childcare when she gets older (after 3 years) old. I will like to seek parents' opinons on this matter.

Additionally, would appreciate if parents can advise if there are any playgroups in Jurong west (preferably near City Harvest church or St 81) that are 2-3 times weekly for 2 hour each. Ideally, this is my most preferred option on top of the 2hrs enrichment class weekly at JGC.

TIA.

Ekari

Hey there, I think that would be quite intensive for a 2 years old already. You might even have some problem trying to get your child comfortable without you being there. Many find that 2 hours is quite long for 2 years old to have their parents away from them. You might want to try it out first before enrolling in more of those programs. Might actually do more harm than good.

Jenn7766

Thanks for your advice and i agree fully with you. After consideration, i decided that the once weekly enrichment classes are enough for her and i will not embark on the daily school program until she is 3 years old.

Hey there, I think that would be quite intensive for a 2 years old already. You might even have some problem trying to get your child comfortable without you being there. Many find that 2 hours is quite long for 2 years old to have their parents away from them. You might want to try it out first before enrolling in more of those programs. Might actually do more harm than good.

lasery2k

ya...agree with 2 hrs is too long for a 18mths old...my boy attended weekend class for 1.5hrs since 18mths. now he's 26mths and i still put him at weekend class for 1.5hrs..but from parent assisted i swap him to non parent assisted to prepare him for pre-N next year. he's still in the crying stage where seperation anxiety sets in..still training him to go independently..

Next year he would be turning 3yrs old and i will let him go daily 3hrs pre-N.

Ekari

ya...agree with 2 hrs is too long for a 18mths old...my boy attended weekend class for 1.5hrs since 18mths. now he's 26mths and i still put him at weekend class for 1.5hrs..but from parent assisted i swap him to non parent assisted to prepare him for pre-N next year. he's still in the crying stage where seperation anxiety sets in..still training him to go independently..

Next year he would be turning 3yrs old and i will let him go daily 3hrs pre-N.
yeah, that separation anxiety really is a problem, and being parent ... seeing them cry really makes your heart go soft. So how did it turns out for you and your child? Child adaptation without parents differ for everyone. Do you still need to be by his side now?

lasery2k

Now better liao. Bring the father into the picture n psycho him. After tt follows wif mummy bribe him with goodies. Then everytime will brainwash him go sch gt friends. Teacher will hug hug u. Gt goodie bags n u gd boy mummy bring u go popo hse play with didi. Or go zoo n night safari.

lasery2k

So recently he still will tell mi dont want to go sch. When on the way go sch he will emo. After tt reach sch the tears still drop but still go in still. The most wail 5mins like tt will stop n cont with class. So far gt improvement frm cry whole session to cry half lesson n ownself stand at the door keep quite. Now is cry 5mins after tt follows the lesson n come out happily.

Ekari

Hah, so it's all good then. Seems a normal routine for him until he get all used to it. Even my 5 years old got separation anxiety at first ... first preschool, then grandmas then school.

lasery2k

Ya. . But he will still emo wheneva sat comes. Think its because he gt a week break inbetween. The heart still haven die of him having to go sch weekly. He still hanging on to the hope of one day donit to go sch if i cont to cry. Lolx