Is Pao Sheng or Barely water good for baby before vaccination?

Hi

DD ran a fever last Friday immediately after her 5-in-1 vaccination. ;(. I will like to ask whether can we give a 5 month old baby Pao Sheng or barely water before vaccination to cool the body?

DD will be having her 6-in-1 vaccination in 6 weeks time. I better get myself organised as it pains to see her running fever and keep vomitting. ;(

Also, it is a good time to start giving her barley water in normal days. I had followed PD's advice of not giving her water in order to prevent her from being lack of nourishment (PD said that extra water will dilute her FM). Now she does not like to drink water. Sigh! I just wish to have someone to advice. My mum dun even be bother with her granddaughter. As for MIL, she does not have much clue as she does not practice these in her kids. As for SIL, they have their mum to look after their kids and are not hand on on looking after kids.

So I am more or less left alone to handle with these situtation. Jus hope to get some advice from the forum.

Thank you.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
773 said:
Hi

DD ran a fever last Friday immediately after her 5-in-1 vaccination. ;(. I will like to ask whether can we give a 5 month old baby Pao Sheng or barely water before vaccination to cool the body?

DD will be having her 6-in-1 vaccination in 6 weeks time. I better get myself organised as it pains to see her running fever and keep vomitting. ;(

Also, it is a good time to start giving her barley water in normal days. I had followed PD's advice of not giving her water in order to prevent her from being lack of nourishment (PD said that extra water will dilute her FM). Now she does not like to drink water. Sigh! I just wish to have someone to advice. My mum dun even be bother with her granddaughter. As for MIL, she does not have much clue as she does not practice these in her kids. As for SIL, they have their mum to look after their kids and are not hand on on looking after kids.

So I am more or less left alone to handle with these situtation. Jus hope to get some advice from the forum.

Thank you.
It is normal to have a fever after taking 5-in-1 or 6-in-1 but it shouldn't last more than 30 hours ... you just have to sponge your daughter throughout the night, even with fever medicine given.

I started giving my boy barley on a weekly basis only after he was 6 months old ... & you need to make sure you use the 红毛 barley instead of the 唐山 barley, the latter possibly being too 凉 for their little body. Also, consuming more than once a week may produce counter-effects too.

As for American Ginseng, I only started giving my boy after he was 1 year old ... double-boiled with 300g of 肉头 & sprinkled with a handful of wolfberries. He loves it when mixed with his rice.

Without sounding too offensive, how come your own mum dun even bother? :bconfused: :bconfused:

Thank you.

Well, she feels that she wants to have fun now..enjoying herself with ECA and going oversea. Moreover, I am not her favourite and cant pay her market rate. She keeps insisting that she is old and cannot be stress and tired. ;)

Anyway, I am glad that I took the challenge and look after my baby since first day. It is tough but rewarding.... :red:

Adeline

Hi,

Dont worry, you aint alone.

My mil had pass away long before I met her. FIL dont bother. My sil still single, my both parent got highblood, cant help. I'm doing it alone too.

Now that i had resign to take care of my little one myself. Luckily, i insist in employing a maid to help me. I, myself, started to gain back my weight before pregency, n getting enough sleep. And good news, my bb also gaining enough weight too. She was born 97percentile, and had drop to 3percentile. Now manage to climb to 50 percentile. N looking healthier and more mischeif. Hee..

So my point is, if can, get a maid to help. The rest is up to you. Anything not sure, ask pple ard you. Your neighbours, friends or mummies in the forum.

Good luck and stay strong and force.

Cheers:Dancing_wub:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
773 said:
Anyway, I am glad that I took the challenge and look after my baby since first day. It is tough but rewarding.... :red:
Adeline said:
So my point is, if can, get a maid to help. The rest is up to you. Anything not sure, ask pple ard you. Your neighbours, friends or mummies in the forum....:Dancing_wub:
Same situation here ... :brolleyes: :brolleyes:

Mum was not in the best of health, after taking care of my sis' kids for the last 7 years ... so she's only taken on a consultative role.
MIL was real keen, but couldn't bear to end her 25-yr business ... which would also terminate the rice-bowls of her elderly staff.

In the end, we (being both working parents) decided to engage a maid for this job ... after scrutinising every child-care centre located within my vicinity & found them to be wanting, especially when it's very young babies we are talking about.

Now that we have 2 (with my older one ready to attend pre-school), I've elected to have a career transition (with a hefty pay-cut) ... so that I can have more time at my own disposal, to see to the boys' needs.

Bottom-line is ... it's tough but I dun regret a single moment of it. :wink: :wink:

snowie28

Hi there, me too had brought my 3mths old boy for his 1st 5-in-1 vaccination yesterday. He too develop fever at night and i gave him paracetamol.

I check the website for information and was saying "after a vaccine, a mild fever is actually a good sign – evidence that the shot is stimulating your child's immune system." But what is the tempreture like when it refering to mild fever? Cos his tempreture is like 38.4, is it consider mild or way too high for a 3mths old baby? :wong19:

Also will it be too early to let hiim have barley before injection? Any other solutions?

Last edited:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowie28 said:
Hi there, me too had brought my 3mths old boy for his 1st 5-in-1 vaccination yesterday. He too develop fever at night and i gave him paracetamol.

I check the website for information and was saying "after a vaccine, a mild fever is actually a good sign – evidence that the shot is stimulating your child's immune system." But what is the tempreture like when it refering to mild fever? Cos his tempreture is like 38.4, is it consider mild or way too high for a 3mths old baby? :wong19:

Also will it be too early to let hiim have barley before injection? Any other solutions?
You should try to keep his temperature at 38C or lower ... which is the definition of mild fever, for babies below 6 months old.
As for barley ... see what I've written above.
Alternative is to sponge him regularly ... within the following 36 hours after the jab.
:wink: :wink:

snowie28

You should try to keep his temperature at 38C or lower ... which is the definition of mild fever, for babies below 6 months old.
As for barley ... see what I've written above.
Alternative is to sponge him regularly ... within the following 36 hours after the jab.
:wink: :wink:
Thanks mummy for the guidline, at least nw i know what is the definition towards mild fever.

As for barley, u mentioned u gave ur boy on weekly basis when he was 6mths old. But is it ok to let my boy hav it even thou he is 3mths old? Pardon me for asking so detail:shyxxx:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowie28 said:
Thanks mummy for the guidline, at least nw i know what is the definition towards mild fever.

As for barley, u mentioned u gave ur boy on weekly basis when he was 6mths old. But is it ok to let my boy hav it even thou he is 3mths old? Pardon me for asking so detail:shyxxx:
Ermmm ... first of all, I'm a papa. :beek: :beek:

My grandpa used to run a Chinese medical hall ... until nobody in our generation was interested in continuing the business.
Despite this background, I still didn't dare to take the risk of feeding my boys such "cooling drinks" until they were at least 6 months old ... basically, I have my reservations on what kind of stress these drinks may cause to both the stomach & the liver, which otherwise has been only exposed to milk & nothing else.

I still think you should just sponge him ... meaning wipe him (from head to toe) every 30/60/90 minutes, using a towel wet with tap water at room temperature. At the same time, dun dress him up in thick perjamas ... even if it's his usual dress code for sleep.

If by the 2nd day after the jab, his fever has still not subside ... dun hesitate to go see the doctors again. Enjoy ... :wink: :wink:

snowie28

Ermmm ... first of all, I'm a papa. :beek: :beek:

My grandpa used to run a Chinese medical hall ... until nobody in our generation was interested in continuing the business.
Despite this background, I still didn't dare to take the risk of feeding my boys such "cooling drinks" until they were at least 6 months old ... basically, I have my reservations on what kind of stress these drinks may cause to both the stomach & the liver, which otherwise has been only exposed to milk & nothing else.

I still think you should just sponge him ... meaning wipe him (from head to toe) every 30/60/90 minutes, using a towel wet with tap water at room temperature. At the same time, dun dress him up in thick perjamas ... even if it's his usual dress code for sleep.

If by the 2nd day after the jab, his fever has still not subside ... dun hesitate to go see the doctors again. Enjoy ... :wink: :wink:
Sorry for mistaken u as mummy..haa:shyxxx:As u are too knowledgable for a daddy. Most daddies juz dun care/know too much of the details (nt dat i noe of) Ur wife must be very blessed to hav such gd daddy.

Thanks for your advise. Will monitor of his tempreture and if needed to see doc. :tlaugh:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowie28 said:
Sorry for mistaken u as mummy..haa:shyxxx:As u are too knowledgable for a daddy. Most daddies juz dun care/know too much of the details (nt dat i noe of) Ur wife must be very blessed to hav such gd daddy.

Thanks for your advise. Will monitor of his tempreture and if needed to see doc. :tlaugh:
I know exactly what you mean ... I get those unbelievable looks every single time I bring my son (since he was a month old) to the nursing rooms to change his diaper, sometimes I even get the "how I wish" look.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

But seriously, I do all I do becoz I love my sons more than myself ... simple as that.

Adeline

Babies normal temperate is 38degree max.. Why consider as mild fever?

snowie28

VroomVroomboys u r such a great daddy. Ur kids n ur wife are very blessed to have u around. :Dancing_wub:

Hi Adeline, babies normal tempreture is 38C max? Is that so? Cos normal ppl (adult/kids) normal tempreture is at 37.5C. My bb boy develop fever after he got his vaccination. Today is the 2nd day, hope it gets better. Luckily he is feeding well :tlaugh:

Adeline

Hi Adeline, babies normal tempreture is 38C max? Is that so? Cos normal ppl (adult/kids) normal tempreture is at 37.5C. My bb boy develop fever after he got his vaccination. Today is the 2nd day, hope it gets better. Luckily he is feeding well :tlaugh:
That's what doctor told me. My gal had fever the last round, i quickly give the medication which give, and sponge her down. All in all, her fever is for about 3 hours.

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
Adeline said:
That's what doctor told me. My gal had fever the last round, i quickly give the medication which give, and sponge her down. All in all, her fever is for about 3 hours.
It all depends on how old your baby is ...
When they are still within the first 6 months, anything more than 37.2C is considered a fever ... & before it escalates beyond 38C, it's known as a mild fever.

If you had been a doctor, seeing more than enough feverish babies day in day out ... when coming face to face with a more "kancheong" parent, wouldn't it be easier to just tell the parent that anything below 38C is considered normal?

Doctors are human too ... so, not all of them are that enthusiastic in their job, despite being paid more than you or I to do their job.
Just this week, my wife had a blocked duct in her breast leading to infection ... & thus, pus in the BM.
As she decided to go to the doctor only after she was done with her work, our regular family doctor has already closed for the day ... when consulting another doctor in our neighbourhood, she asked what she can do. Guess what, the doctor said "you can give up breastfeeding" ... my wife just instinctively responded with "go to hell"!!
:rofl: :rofl:

autumn82

When they are still within the first 6 months, anything more than 37.2C is considered a fever ... & before it escalates beyond 38C, it's known as a mild fever.

If you had been a doctor, seeing more than enough feverish babies day in day out ... when coming face to face with a more "kancheong" parent, wouldn't it be easier to just tell the parent that anything below 38C is considered normal?

Doctors are human too ... so, not all of them are that enthusiastic in their job, despite being paid more than you or I to do their job.
Just this week, my wife had a blocked duct in her breast leading to infection ... & thus, pus in the BM.
As she decided to go to the doctor only after she was done with her work, our regular family doctor has already closed for the day ... when consulting another doctor in our neighbourhood, she asked what she can do. Guess what, the doctor said "you can give up breastfeeding" ... my wife just instinctively responded with "go to hell"!!
WAHSEI! Which doc did ur wife @@? OMG..:tlaugh:

snowie28

Woah ur wife power sia!:we2biglaugh:

VroomVroomBoys

Alpha Male
snowie28 said:
:tlaugh: i wonder what did the doc respond when ur wife quoted. Did he give any advise/solutions from there?
He just turned speechless & prescribed her some anti-biotics lor.
:1err: :1err: