Is Sterilizer impt?

yann13

Hi all, need yr help/ opinion on sterilizer, do u think its essential to have a sterilizer ? If so, wat brand do u recommend? Just started to prepare checklist.. Suddenly felt like alot need to buy~

elin

Hi yes bb sterilizer is impt unless you choose the option of boiling to sterilize instead of the usual steamer / sterilizing tablets route.

If you are interested, I have a brand new PHILIPS Avent Digital Steriliser (keeps contents sterile for 24hrs) for sale. (u can check the receipt for proof of purchase / authenticity)

Going @ $150 / UP: $199 Retail price

You may wish to check out more info on the pdt at: Philips - Digital Steam Sterilizer 220-240V - SCF276/41 - Sterilizers - Preparing for feeding - Mother and child care

Cheers! :)

Flame Angel

Not really if u want to save some dollars .. I didnt buy for my first kid, I used the old method of boiling the bottles for 5 mins .. But recently very tired that I forgot to switch off and I burnt five bottles accidentally .. Regretted a lot .. Now using a timer to switch off, bought the timer from daiso for $2 .. Not bad u see

clearjade

I guess depends on how you plan to feed baby. I bought a sterilizer but since I'm breastfeeding by direct latching on, dont't need to sterilize bottles or other equipment so have not't really used the sterilizer much (did use it a few times to sterilize breastpump to build up milk supply in first few days). I also read that by 6mths dont't really need to sterilize baby's things anymore (?)

Luckily bought Mothercare brand which is pretty cheap, around $50 and keeps items sterilized up to 6hrs.

MsKoh1973

actually, I don't think its tat impt, so long as u wash the bottles straight after use, if not time, still rinse it so that the milk solids won't stick on to it. First month I steralised, then find it v troublesome, so 2-3 month, I boiled big pot of hot water, off fire, throw everything inside. Then after 3rd month, I just rinse with drinking water of normal temperature. At first she lao sai abit, maybe due to change of handling, then after few days, back to normal. My girl now 6 yo already.

Actually steralised under high heat, there is also a possibility that there maybe chemical change to the bottles, who noes leh???? So all depends.

Jheyyy

YES ! V IMPORTANT !
& you MUST sterilize after EVERY feed.

I didn't do so in the past just to save some money & caused my girl to have diarrhea & vomitting :(
The baby doctor told me it's a must to sterilize after every feed.
So in the end i got a sterilizer & be more hardworking to sterilize after every feed.
Sometimes when she didnt cry for milk for hours, i'll sterilize the bottles all over again just to play safe.

gumbokins

It's not a must, because like the rest hv mentioned you can just boil but it's quite messy and the first time I did it was was not careful and scalded myself -_-

No need to buy an expensive one coz you don't use it for very long, to be honest, I hv only sterilised my son's (now 4 mths) bottles twice since he was born. I direct latch most of the time but some days v tired so give him FM. I will wash with soap and air dry when done, once in a while dip in dilute bleach solution to disinfect along with my kids' other toys.

Carisella

for myself, i bought it due to safety of baby.. i don't want baby to suffer diarrhea or vomiting.. And i'm lazy to sterilizer via boiling method :D

MsKoh1973

alternatively, u can use the hot water fr the flask to rinse the bottle, just "lok lok", I used to do tat after I stop steralising.