Is there really a need to use stocks to prepare babies food?

autumn82

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether is it really necessary to use stocks to cook porridge for DS. Currently, I just use plain water to cook the porridge. When it is almost done, I'll add in the ingredients to cook and remove from stove to blend & feed.

What's the reason behind using stocks to cook porridge other than better taste? Is there still nutritional value in the stock after simmering for that long? :we2unsure:

siongnelly

actually, it will be better just put the fresh ingredients to cook baby food, like vegetables, fish, chicken for pork....

lisa_ng

mayb those nutrients will be store in the stock.

like when you boil herbal soup or when u boil with black chicken, you drink the soup to absorb the nutrients rather than eating the herbs or some may not eat the black chicken.

not sure if it sounds right.

for myself, i thought stock more for taste.
moreover i do not want to waste the fish bones so i use them to make stock. :001_302:

autumn82

actually, it will be better just put the fresh ingredients to cook baby food, like vegetables, fish, chicken for pork....
I was thinking so as well, that's y am doing so now.. But MIL kept on telling me to not let him eat pork fear of indigestion, instead cook wif pork ribs for the taste...

autumn82

mayb those nutrients will be store in the stock.

like when you boil herbal soup or when u boil with black chicken, you drink the soup to absorb the nutrients rather than eating the herbs or some may not eat the black chicken.

not sure if it sounds right.

for myself, i thought stock more for taste.
moreover i do not want to waste the fish bones so i use them to make stock. :001_302:
Yea, abt the herbal soup thing.. LOL. Contridicting lor in a sense. Or becoz got herbs in it, that's y drink soup more nutritious? LOL.

At least u dun want to waste and for taste.. :)

CDL

Stock from bones is nutritious as it contains remnants from the marrow in the bones. Besides being nutritious, marrow is also high in cholestrol and fat - both of which are fine for babies to take as it helps in their growth and development.

I think however that just as baby's first foods are rice and vegetable-based, meat and stock from meat should be introduced gradually and when the baby is older as the digestive system has to work harder to process meat and meat-based food.