Jaundice and EBM

Ashbaby

My DS got jaundice and is consider under the normal range, we try to sun him everyday depending whether the Sun comes out or not. What food should I avoid? How long does jaundice tk to recover?

camom

Breastfeeding jaundice can last up to 2-3 mths.

I was told to cut down on ginger during confinement cos apparently, ginger can contribute to jaundice. But when I checked with my gynae, he told me there's no relation between ginger and jaundice. To play safe, I didn't take that much.

diymummy

My baby was jaundiced for 1 mth. My PD told me to avoid ginger in my confinement food so I cut down on it.

Sun him whenever you can in the morning or evening when the rays are not too strong. You can also rent the photothraphy beds home. I think TMC has such services.

Also try to feed your baby more milk. My PD told me to hydrate my baby well when he was jaundiced.

chiro

as my son's jaundice did not go away after a month, pd suggested him to be off breastmilk for 3 days and he got no more jaundice. I do not take much ginger. Pd said breastmilk contains more fat and the young liver of my son does not process properly

JazN

BFg babies will cause the jaundice to increase but nevertheless jaundice will go away. Mine took 2 weeks. I was told all asian babies will have jaundice.

Despite our belief sunning baby does not cause the jaundice to go away. It's still fine to bring baby out for fresh air, no direct sunlight though.

Continue bf and keeping baby hydrated.

camom

BFg babies will cause the jaundice to increase but nevertheless jaundice will go away. Mine took 2 weeks. I was told all asian babies will have jaundice.

Despite our belief sunning baby does not cause the jaundice to go away. It's still fine to bring baby out for fresh air, no direct sunlight though.

Not true, the incidence is higher for Asian babies but not all will be jaundiced. My elder gal did not have jaundice at all.

nurman02

yes, hydrate ur baby... its important... when my baby has jaundice, i feed her warm water mixed with a little bit of sugar melon liquid (pre-boiled)... it lasted for abt 2 weeks...

my baby had jaundice for 2 mths. the levels kept dropping, but very slowly. i never stopped bf-ing. but i did cut down on ginger. pd told me to cut ginger. i also took minimal herbs.

nellu

i'm asian but both my kids did not have jaundice and I breastfeed both of them.....

where did you get this info from?

meiteoh

I wouldn't say that ALL asian babies will have jaundice; just that genetically, Asians are more likely to have jaundice as babies. Scientific study and input from docs. :)

Mummy to Baby V

There are various types of jaundice. About 70% of Asian babies get jaundice.
Most jaundice cases are not breastmilk jaundice. Instead, breastmilk helps baby get rid of meconium and the yellowish stuff (signature colour of breastfed baby poo), helping get rid of jaundice.

Water is NOT needed for newborns; breastmilk is.
The more yellowish poo, the better.

My boy had high level jaundice at Day 9 and was hospitalized for phototherapy. We read up a lot and our paed supported breastfeeding all the way. The level went down after a day and the confinement lady brought the boy out to sun in early morning. I am not much of a believer of the sunning method. I thought it was the breastmilk that helped.

JazN

From the pd @ queenstown polyclinic when i brought my daughter for jaundice checks. hmmmmmmmm.....

Thks mummies for your inputs. Now i know how 'knowledgeable' the pd is over there

i'm asian but both my kids did not have jaundice and I breastfeed both of them.....

where did you get this info from?

Last edited:

allycat

My son's just turned 1 mth and his jaundice level is still considered high, so sad... I'm still BFg, but will need to see the pedi again nexy week. Hopefully he'll be better by then.