Job Interview- to declare Single Motherhood?

JoyBliss

Hi mummies, should I declare my single motherhood during job interview?

While we should be honest to the prospective employers... but will by so doing reduce my "chance"? What are the rationale of admitting in the 1st place, other than honesty?

Ting

i dun think your status have anything to do with your competence n performance.
and no, u r not required to declare unless u wanna claim the Childcare leave.
for me, i nvr declare tt im a single mum, unless i think it is necessary.
just bcos u nvr say it out, doesnt mean u r not honest.
UNLESS, they ask u n u lie abt it, tts dishonesty.
but u hv no need to declare: hey im a single mum!

even when i go thru agency to find jobs, i just tell the agency i hv a daughter, thus i want my working place near her CC, wont say im single or married.

JoyBliss

I do agree it's not necessary to declare single motherhood, it is a choice. While status does not link to competence, but having a child does to performance i think? As a working mother, there are restrictions to certain ex10 in terms of working late or overseas travelling, much more if you are a single mother that handle A-Z by oneself. Time comittment or flexibility becomes an issue (hee... I'm speaking from experience)

I reckon when you declare you are single when filling up the application form, and verbally informed the agency/prospective employer about your child, it's an implicit reference to a single motherhood? It is a choice made for various reasons; childcare leave, proximity, refrain from overseas travelling, late reporting etc

Hence, while pro-actively, would it be a career sucide to admit having a child, or just keep mum about it during the interview for the sake of putting bread on the table?

Yep, agree that by not confessing you have a child when asked, this is a form of dishonesty. To be honest about your single motherhood, is merely an act of sincerety and truthfulness i think? But whether is it worthwhile to do so is the question perhaps :tlaugh:

I have a friend that discourage me from telling my prospective employeers because of the stigma, and work committment. But I thought this would have diff set of problems, when you need apply urgent leave to rush to childcare for e.g., or constantly take leave every fortnight (*touchwood choy!*), what excuse to give... (At least for my current boss, 'Personal matters' is not good enough for her)

Last edited:

Ting

yes, for me, i let the agency know bcos i want them to find a job that can cater to my needs. like u said, no (or little) OT, n location.
it is also easier for me so i dun hv to go to various interviews n end up it is not suitable for me.

For me, OT is still ok, cos i hv my family to help me fetch n look after my girl.
my previous job had tons of OT, sometimes til 9 pm.
actually not just bcos u hv a child means u will perform badly or keep taking urgent leave.
i hv an ex colliq, when she started the job, she also informed the coy that she has a very sickly father, so she might need to take urgent leave frequently shld anything happen at home.
the coy still employed her n also put some ppl on standby to cover her work.

so i think, end of the day, just do whatever u r comfortable with.

JoyBliss

Yep, it's great and impt to have family support here. OT is definitely a problem since I'm going to be the only person ferrying my kid to and fro. And the many hectic schedules everyday can be a stress to health as well. Ultimately, it affect performance, maybe not poor, but just not the optimal.

Your ex.colleg. joined a nice company. :) A mother I know shared that she didnt declare her motherhood cuz her employeer discriminate, think working mothers can't perform well and keep taking leaves. I can't imagine what she thinks of "single" motherhood... gosh!! Yes.. it happens in Singapore... kinda disapointing...

Hee... not sure what I will do eventually Ting. At least for now, I'm too tired to fight the numbers. Since you can't fight the crowd, join the crowd... though I'm not comfortable with hide here hide there... But... I still have time to think lar... Human is flexible beings, can change to assimilate. But I thought I check out on the public view or "trend" now :)

Ting

hmmm, then perhaps u dun hv to let ppl know u r a mother???
i hv a few frens who didnt declare they hv kids since they r single mums.
for my current job, during the interview they nvr asked if i hv kids anot. it's only subsequently then some colliqs found out. :)

JoyBliss

Oh! I see ... It's a good food for thought. Thanks Ting. Afterall, the option is open: Nobody has to know about the child if you don't want to, or in your timing when you decide to leave hints here and there or admit to having one upfront.

Hee, on the other hand, that's what that mother did too; keep everything under wraps... until the day there is no way to hide anymore as she's carrying her 2nd BB now... Whether she still have her job now, I shall not comment much here.

But I suppose 1 crucial point is she has ally that can help her cover up her absence as a mother? My gut feeling is if I do not have a stong support circle, (1) time to start building one (2) does this lack of support constitute a need to come clean with the employer that sometimes, they may need to compromise to my flexi. working hr?

Still cracking my head to find that balanced point in my heart... My head tells me Not to declare, my heart tells me to...

(P/S: Also, I feel sorry towards my child lar that i can't openly admit his presence... maybe that's the emotionally naive side of me.... sorry don't mind me...)

Ting

i understand.
u feel bad abt it right....
last time i felt tt way too when i nvr declare having a child.
yeah, its impt to hv a supportive circle, if not, anything happens, also very difficult.
for me, my family help me to tc of pin if she is on mc from sch.
each of us will take turns to take leave.
if not, i also headache!

JoyBliss

Thanks Ting for the sharing... it's a comfort to know I'm not alone in this "feeling bad"

hahaha... Better go bug Samuel when the agency can be set up! hahaha ~"Sam Sam Sam, where are you... "~~

Ting

wah, but infant n childcare is like quite a big project.
is no profit or like normal CCs but cheaper rates?

masayuki

wah, but infant n childcare is like quite a big project.
is no profit or like normal CCs but cheaper rates?
It will be non-profit, the project will be to give single mothers with an aptitude for child and infant care a job, at the same time, give other single mums a cheaper rate and a peace of mind that your child is being taken care of by mothers who understand how hard life is....

But if the proposal goes through, we would be governed by rules from MCYS as we would likely obtain seed funding from them.

JoyBliss

Great! And really great scale too! 2 wins: it is a job and other mom's get supported as well. Hope to learn the ropes on time management for single mothers :)

Meantime, to declare or not declare... simple pblm that hold significance

Ting

The centre manager will be paid ....
As per commercial rates, maybe a little lower only....
lol~ but im not professional.:tlaugh:

i ever thought of being cc teacher. but dun hv the cert for tt. took biz instead....

Justina

Hi mummies, should I declare my single motherhood during job interview?

While we should be honest to the prospective employers... but will by so doing reduce my "chance"? What are the rationale of admitting in the 1st place, other than honesty?
Hi Joybliss,

In my opinion, it is ok if you would like to note your status as 'Single Mother'. Have been shortlisting candidates for numerous positions before and that marital status doesn't really matter. What interviewers will look for is your competency in the position applied and you performance during the interview. But if you would like to skip that in your resume and only disclose if being asked is perfectly fine.

Good luck in job hunting :)