Kid Surname possible to change after divorce?

siling87

Hi all,

I am currently at my last stage- waiting for Interim judgement of divorce- Final.

The court had granted me with the sole custody of my boy.

Had spoken with my lawyer. I can change the surname as long as I have the sole custody.

willows

Hi all,

I am currently at my last stage- waiting for Interim judgement of divorce- Final.

Had spoken with my lawyer. I can change the surname as long as I have the sole custody.
Congrats. Can share how do you obtain sole custody?

Btw, how long is your whole divorce procedure? I am still waiting for the hearing date for ancillary matters.

yasmin

Hi all,

Im currently facing same issues with ex bf. Im trying to fight for sole custody. Reason being, ex bf is a foreigner expat. Im muslim and he is christian. I do not want baby to grow up lost and confused. I will be getting married to my muslim fiance soon. I need to know how you manage to get sole custody of your baby?

malibu

Hi,
Really possible to change the surname for my kid if I have the sole custody?
As long the Family Court has granted you sole custody, you can approach any law firm to get a deed poll to have your child's surname changed. Relevant document from court is required.

As for yasmin, since you are to be married to your muslim fiance, I suggest an adoption would be a better process unless you wish to gain sole custody before your marriage. Pointers have been given above by other single mummies as in how you could go about gaining sole custody.

In case of any doubt refer to this link: The Subordinate Courts of Singapore - FAQs: Adoption

It is the same link to Sub-Court's FAQ on adoption.

Cheers,

Jameson - husband of malibu.

jadeite

My husband was adopted by his stepfather after his parents divorced. His dad disappeared when he was 3 and no sight of him ever again so no permission given by biological dad to change surname. So ya it's possible not to get permission.

Catherine Yap

Hi there,

In past 6 months, I got sole custody in the final judgement certificate.
I would like to change my son surname without his consent, is it go straight to ICA or need to do deed poll, since my ex-husband had already no contact and visit me and kid.
Soon I will be married to my future husband, Do I still need to do procedure adoption letter?