KK Hospital - Pro-natural? Friendly midwives?

ilovelife

Dear experienced mummies out there,

This is my first time being pregg and I am very interested to deliver in a hospital which encourages natural birth...

Would be lovely if you would help me with these...:

1. KK midwives in delivery room - are they with positive attitudes? Supportive?

2. The post-delivery services in your room - are the nurses friendly?

3. Lastly... pro-natural birth? Cos I would really love to go natural on my first birth...

Thank you in advance!
:Dancing_wub:

rioikinz

Hi ilovelife,

Here's my experience:

1. KK midwives in delivery room - are they with positive attitudes? Supportive?

Depends on who is attending to you. They are pro epidural which i refuse to use. Until a staff nurse came along to assist me and she was real good and professional and respected our decision.

Nothing fantastic even in A1 ward. Anyway was discharged the following day for natural birth.

3. Lastly... pro-natural birth? Cos I would really love to go natural on my first birth...

My doctor just take natural birth as default as he did not persuade me nor talk to me about c-section as everything is normal. Think it largely depends on the doctor himself cos i heard some doctor prefers c-section and also depends on your condition during the regular check up, your doctor should be able to advise you what's best along the way.

Enjoy this unforgettable journey. I enjoyed the natural birth experience and hope u too!!!

Last edited:

babytazz

I was admitted there coz water bag leaking and I still have 2+mths to go b4 EDD. My exp:

Not sure about midwives, but the nurses in the delivery ward are very nice. I wasn't offered the option of epidural, only used gas. Probably because we had informed before.

Post delivery - the nurses in the wards are so-so.. Some good some not good. Staff nurse are basically better than enrolled nurses.

Gynaes usually go for natural birth more than C-section unless there's complications. But some gynaes do try for natural birth and encourages them when patients ask for c-section.

adelynn

1: My experience with KK midwives were wonderful. I had threatened early labour at week 26 and was admitted then, very re-assuring especially when i was a first time mummy to be. when i was re-admitted for delivery, they quickly recognized me and was equally re-assuring and supportive before my active labour, helping me work thru my contractions and then the pushing.

2: the nurses were friendly and personally to me, the utmost important is very pro-breastfeeding and helpful when i needed help with latch on. every feed the nurses would help me latch on and teach me the various 'styles' of holding the baby during breastfeeding until i find something which was comfortable for me and baby. they also offered alot of baby care knowledge.

3: i think pro natural or not depends largely on your gynae. my gyane sat down with me and we discussed about our preferred birth method, the various types of pain relief etc.

Renzie

I'm a subsidised patient in KKH.

1. Overall, I have a good experience with the midwives in the delivery room. I was induced and hence contractions occured quite fast. As my dilation was very unexpected, they managed to be at my side in time even though it was a very busy day for them. The nurse/midwives even made milo for me after labour as I was extremely thirsty and the nurse said that I should not be drinking plain water as its too "cooling".

2. I was admitted into ward B2+. So far the nurses I met were very friendly and helpful to my enquires..and also came to my aid when baby kept crying non-stop..but then my bed practically right next to the nurses station.

3. So far, the nurses just told me my options for pain-killer. No1 talked to me about C-sect. In fact, during delivery, the midwives had threatened to use forced labour if I don't start pushing, hence I guessed its their last resort, if things don't go smoothly. I gave birth naturally, no forceps/vaccum and what not.

had opted for gas during labour, didn't take epidural either.

xicloudix

1) Midwifes are friendly and helpful... some would take the initiative to talk to ease ur tension, some juz check and go... (i was in the delivery suite for 1 whole day, so saw quite a few different midwife). Induce case.... but they was quite bz, normally come and check and go... even till the point i am ready to push no one was around and as a first time mum, didn't know what to do... until a doc makes his round and i can't tahan the pain, i told him, then he say "then push lor" n he walk off zzzzzzz,..... shortly a midwife came in and help me... she was quite nice...

however I like a particular midwife which left a deep impression... she was so happy sort, singing while doing work, so helpful, no need me open mouth request she know where is my discomfort and needs... really makes my day.... ease quite a bit of my nervousness...

2) B2+, nurse quite good, keep checking on me... 1st urine can't even go down the bed... they even help me (so pai seh)...

I was at first admiited to the ward first to wait for my turn to induce... saw a staff nurse which is the ONE and only ONE that knows my baby is big juz by touching my stomach and agree that i should induce... she is really experience!... The delivery suite can't even tell my baby was big... still wan me to delay another day to induce so that in the next morning i can go scan my baby first before i go induce... which i refuse coz sense something not right.... (lucky i didn't wait coz when my baby was out, his cord was tight around his neck, lucky manage to save him, if i wait another day, he might be gone)

Overall, nurse quite friendly and polite...

3) yes they are pro natural... even till the long labour hrs that I am still not dilating enough, my baby has poo inside... was too anxious and worried, requested them might as well open me up and bring my baby out...they still told me to wait another few hrs see how first coz its best to natural....

godloved

Hi, here's my input:
1) I went for an emergency c-sect as baby had a big head, not sure about the mid wives but the nurses were very friendly. I was terrified of the needles and I had to do set plug, go through a spinal and also to insert the catheter, but they were reassuring and chatted with me to distract me, so I must say it was a good experience.

2) Post delivery wise I was in a A1 ward and I must say it really depends on who are on shift, most of those I met during my stay were nice and professional. They were also pro breastfeeding, because I was very insistent to total breastfeed, baby was rooming in with me mostly, but they will still come in and check once in a while, which I appreciated (that they did not have the can''t be bothered since baby is with me, kind of attitude, so credit to them). Kept reminding me to record my breastfeeding times as well. Lactation consultant came in to check on progress even though I was already doing well.

3) I would like to think they are pro natural, but again, I think depends on your situation and gynae. My gynae already warned me about a c-sect during my last checkup before I popped and asked me to consider as my baby's head was big for my frame. So on the day my waterbag broke and she came in and told me she estimate the process to be 12 hours if I insist on natural, but reminded me that because baby has a big head if in the end my pelvic too small still must c-sect after the 12 hours of pain, then gave me time to decide what I wanted, but I am pretty sure she would have went with me if I had chose natural, just that I didn't. :)

angelwendy

1. KK midwives in delivery room - are they with positive attitudes?
Supportive?

Actually it depends on who is on duty when u deliver... for me.. i'm lucky because my midwife is very good... & supportive... my labour is quite long ( 16 Hours ) & she is still very nice to me... unlike another one who just came in my room.. is a old lady... from the way she talk.. is quite rude...

Yes... i'm staying B1 ward... the nurse is all very helpful & friendly....

Yes... i take 1 hours 30 mins to push my baby out & they never ask me to go c sect... but my gynae did told me if i still cannot push might opt for c sect... but in the end.. i still natural birth... in this case... it really gotta depends on ur baby... because if there is complications then they might ask u go for c sect... but the most important is both of u r safe...