Leaking Breastmilk

Edwinie

I've got the problem of leaking breastmilk. Within half a day, my breast pad is fully soaked with milk even though I latch my baby or pump milk out at regular intervals.
When I latch my baby on one side, the other side will leak about 10ml (i collected using breast shell and measured it). I wanted to pump the other side too but the positioning of my baby in cradle hold and trying to hold a pump is very awkward. my baby's body is in the way of the pump.
and throughout the day, it will leak a little bit. I wanted to collect it using the breast shell but i don't think the milk will be as fresh.
it's way too uncomfortable to use a soaked breastpad. I'm limiting my usage of breastpad as it's expensive...
Anyone has the same problem? How do you tackle it? My heart aches for the wasted milk. :07:

thepinkdot

wasted milk? ur body will produce more.. so don't worry about it. i've got the same problem too.. its called oversupply.

i've gone thru 2 boxes of 60 pcs of disposable breastpads and my baby is only 7 wks old! i'm going to consider reusable breastpads as they will be much more economical in the long run..

the other option is.. reduce your supply. after latching on.. do not pump out the remaining breast milk. during pumping session, do not pump totally empty. the oversupply issue will be slightly more manageable then.

Edwinie

thanks for your advise!
I think i'm going to invest in washable breast pads too. everytime when i wake up my pad is soaked... =(

gumbokins

Or maybe use the breast shells? That way you can collect the milk too.

At home I couldn't be bothered with breastpads and bras. Just let it all drip. Milk bath!

foreveris

use the breast shell to collect the milk.. the breast shell can be sterilised hence should be safe for consumption for your bb..
after the initial months, once your supply is regulated.. it will stop leaking..

Edwinie

Or maybe use the breast shells? That way you can collect the milk too.

At home I couldn't be bothered with breastpads and bras. Just let it all drip. Milk bath!
the very first day when milk came in, i didn't wear bra and it just kept leaking until my shirt has to huge wet patches at the breast area. i know airing the breast is good and prevents sore nipples. so i didn't wear any bra. but it is very embarrassing as my father in law and brother in law lives with me.. so i wore nursing bra after that..