Loads of thing that I want for I can't afford

mummy85

Wow. It seems like a risk there. Wat if they dun extend my contract or nt gonna convert to full time. Den i b jobless. So yea. I guess i'll find a full time job while im holding a job. But even if there is a com wif vacancy for office hr , they would 1 mandarin speaking. No matter i wont gif up.

siling87

You can find those job which required minimal to no experience like admin, receptionist in offices... Can even consider to take up temp for at least 6 months so that there are more time to juggle with work and PT studies. And if you are lucky, you can also hoped for temp to perm positions after the contract is over depending on the company's staffing situation.

Mummy85,

Keefu is right. If u are really struggling dan find another alternative way. It hard working full time plus study esp when you are not working office hour. U will be very tired. At the end, you are just losing at both ends as your can't balance both ends. I am doing it now and to be honest... I really think that I can't make it anymore. No energy to study....:001_302:

keefu

Wow. It seems like a risk there. what if they dont extend my contract or not gonna convert to full time. then i b jobless. So yea. I guess i'll find a full time job while im holding a job. But even if there is a com with vacancy for office hr , they would 1 mandarin speaking. No matter i wont give up.
Ehhh there is actually no risk at all if you are determined to stay in office job for long because if the interviewers know you planned to upgrade yourself for the relevant job it will be easier for you to move on to next job even if the contract job ended at least you got experience and more confident to apply for permanent job...

Why will you think now companies needs mandarin speaking employees?

keefu

Mummy85,

Keefu is right. If you are really struggling dan find another alternative way. It hard working full time plus study esp when you are not working office hour. you will be very tired. At the end, you are just losing at both ends as your can't balance both ends. I am doing it now and to be honest... I really think that I can't make it anymore. No energy to study....:001_302:
Yeah before I was married just 2-3 days of or studying (I was nt even studying for diploma) when i used to work in office can tire me out and feeling hungry by end of the day. Can't imagine the energy left to take care of your child upon reaching home!

mummy85

Why will you think now companies needs mandarin speaking employees?
Because i've call up those companies who state e requirememt like n lvl or no experience required n dat sort of thing, wen gif em a call 2 enquire more or recomfirm again e requirment they will sure say oh we actually nd mandarin speaking. onli one time i get interview for part time admin job. I even try to convince em dat despite my bad employment history n to show my employer dat im willing to learn n work hard is thru my honesty punctuality n thru work performances. Still dat doesnt get em to give me a chance.

keefu

Because i've call up those companies who state e requirememt like n lvl or no experience required n dat sort of thing, wen give em a call 2 enquire more or recomfirm again e requirment they will sure say oh we actually need mandarin speaking. onli one time i get interview for part time admin job. I even try to convince em dat despite my bad employment history n to show my employer dat im willing to learn n work hard is thru my honesty punctuality n thru work performances. Still dat doesnt get em to give me a chance.
Are you a chinese? Probably their decisions are affected by the employment history...? Or do you have friends whose company needs assistance as well? Good luck in finding yeah...

mummy85

No, im nt chinese. Mi malay. I speak chinese fairly. I did ask my frens working in office n they r looking out for me.

keefu

No, im not chinese. Mi malay. I speak chinese fairly. I did ask my friends working in office n they r looking out for me.
That's an advantage that you're able to speak some mandarin. Meanwhile don't give up looking for it, good luck!!!

Hungribunni

I was 20 when I got pregnant out of wedlock and could not finish my diploma (in Media studies). I was 21 when my son entered this world. =)

I worked as a Production Assistant and Assistant Producer before moving on to becoming a freelance writer and graphic designer/ digital imagining artist. I've worked full time but still enjoyed the freelance aspect more as I could work and spend time with my son.

I lived with my parents and tolerated my mum's occassional barbed remarks. It got really bad esp when I put my foot down and said I did not want to marry my son's biological father. But we pulled through all the emotional upheavals regardless.

In 2003, I met my husband. He is a real wonderful guy who loves my son like his own. We dated for 5 years before we married in 2008. He adopted my son last year.

We live in a flat belonging to my folks who bought their own condo unit some time back and rented this flat out. They took it back from the tenants and gave us permission to live there. We take the public transport, we don't really indulge in luxury items and are expecting number 2 in Feb. And honestly, we are very happy although we lead a relatively simple life. We have been really blessed by some of our friends and family members who dote on our son a lot. We live on a single salary as we have decided that I should take care of the household issues. We do not have a helper and I do all the housework.

So we don't really own our own home, nor do we own a car. We don't send our kids to fancy enrichment classes and I pretty much tutor my son who is going on to P3 next year on my own. Instead of enrichment classes, I do art and craft & projects with him. All these whilst juggling housework & the occassional freelance work that I take on (lesser now as I am preggers).

Sometimes the simple joys in life are free. Before my hubby entered my life, the time spent with my boy (I breastfed him for 3 years) really made my day. Love really gives one the strength to pull through many ordeals and trials. And your child's hugs and kisses will prob mean more.

When I was single and working full time, I had a pay cheque that was good (despite not finishing my course, I still could draw $1.9k salary then... later on I drew about $3k salary in a diff job before I got married) but when I went to work, my boy was asleep and when I returned my boy was also asleep. It was hard. I missed him so much.

Believing the formative years of a child's life is key, I decided to work freelance (not as stable or high paying some months) and cut corners. There were of course things that I would like but could not afford, but then again there were priceless things in my life that I would lose if I could afford those "wants". =)

Find that work-life balance with your child, and you will feel happier.

I know of single mums who go on to take on jobs they never thought they'd ever take on- being a doula, being a life coach etc.... that afford them the time and the money they need to lead a good life with their kid.

Happiness cannot be measured by dollars and cents.... as long as you have some sense and sensibilities, love and determination you will find your own journey through this experience & find the greatest reward in your relationship with your child. =)

HUGS! All the best!

mummy85

Hi !! Thx for sharing ur stories. Glad u haf found someone dat u cn share ur life wif. I have learnt dat theres a diff between wants n needs.

Hungribunni

Hiya!

That's great. =) Yea, knowing the diff btw wants and needs really makes a huge difference to how one spends eh? ^.^"

BTW I meant "digital imaging" not "digital imagining". My autospell corrected it without me realising it. Lol.

How are things going for you right now? =)