Loose Stools

Ashbaby

I intro Frisocream rice based cereal and Happy Bellies brown rice cereal to DS. Both make him have loose stools. He is okay with purees. Anyone have similar encounter?

meiteoh

Are both cereals new items that have never been introduced to him? He could be having a reaction to something in the cereal - milk is usually the culprit.

Ashbaby

Are both cereals new items that have never been introduced to him? He could be having a reaction to something in the cereal - milk is usually the culprit.
Both cereal is newly intro. Frisocream have milk but Happy Bellies do not have milk. PD say initally when taking cereal will have loose stools, not sure how many mummy agree with this.

meiteoh

Urm, that didn't happen to me. I usually tell new mummies to not introduce two new items at the same time because if baby has an allergy (rash, loose stool/constipation, etc), you wouldn't know which item s/he is allergic to.

Perhaps you could stop Friscocrem and just give the Happy Bellies cereal on its own first. Also note that Frisocrem is quite sweet so when you do introduce to your boy, mix it with unsweetened cereal (I usually do that with sweetened cereal - 1 part sweetened mixed with 2 parts unsweetened) coz I'm scared he may prefer sweetened cereal over non-sweetened ones.

Ashbaby

Both items were not intro at the same time. Initially I thought he was allergy to frisocream therefore I switch to happybellies but its still the same.

meiteoh

Hm....I'm confused now. LOL...sorry.

First things first - how loose is loose? Also, is this his first solid food?

Ashbaby

Hm....I'm confused now. LOL...sorry.

First things first - how loose is loose? Also, is this his first solid food?
Its watery type of stools, last time his stools is like "toothpaste" type. Yes this is his first semi solid food.

I intro Frisocream to him than we realise watery stools than changed to fruit purees stools back to normal. I intro Happy Bellies, watery stools come back again.

meiteoh

Hm...that didn't happen to me. I started Eva on Heinz Rice cereal and then HT cereals. What my friends who BF told me was that transition poo (from 100% BM to solids) is slightly different - it'll be stickier like toothpaste but shouldn't be watery. It is possible that he's intolerant to something in the cereal - with Friso, it could be the milk; with Happy Bellies, it could be the source of the DHA (algal). Can't say for sure.

I have a radical idea - have you tried giving a tiny bit of cereal mixed in with a lot of fruit puree? Maybe see how the texture is like?

Last edited:

Ashbaby

Hm...that didn't happen to me. I started Eva on Heinz Rice cereal and then HT cereals. What my friends who BF told me was that transition poo (from 100% breast milk to solids) is slightly different - it'll be stickier like toothpaste but shouldn't be watery. It is possible that he's intolerant to something in the cereal - with Friso, it could be the milk; with Happy Bellies, it could be the source of the DHA (algal). Can't say for sure.

I have a radical idea - have you tried giving a tiny bit of cereal mixed in with a lot of fruit puree? Maybe see how the texture is like?

Tks for your advice. My mom just tt he dont pass out watery stools everyday although still have. I guess my son stomach trying to get use to the cereal.