Lost Wife...

lelecy0305

Dear all

Im glad that i chanced upon this forum while surfing.

Newly married for 6 mths, and already thinking of divorcing + seriously wonder how did i ever land myself with such a guy!

Background:

Courtship for 3 years, 6 months into marriage.

My husband is 4 years older than me, only son with two old aged parents, own car but no roof <parents married late and was contented with living in rental flat from hdb>. He is an introvert person with good temper, loving guy and filial son.

I am elder daughter living with parents and younger sister. Bad tempered girl, 脾气 is 三分钟热度, loves hopping around exploring and learning new thing, love the sun and sea and everything outdoor and under the bright sun.

I categorised him as: secretive, disrespectful, MCP ignore other people's feeling.

Reason:
1) when we're still in relationship, he doesn't talk about his family, until I asked then he will briefly say how are his parents right now.
2) he doesn't introduce me to his parents not until when we are about to ROM
3) never tell me where he stay until i accidentally came across his ic
4) he never bother to keep me informed of his departure and arrival date when he go holidays with his parents, nor did he bother to update me
upon his safe arrival.
5) when he is looking for me, he expects me to answer/return his calls or messages, but he has never done so when i'm looking for him.
6) he went total MIA when his granddad passed away, not even a single call or message to inform. I called several times, sent smses but no replies until
1 week later. Reason being he was too busy that he doesn't even have that few mins to return call or sms.
7) his promises are meant to be broken and not kept.
8) totally ignore when i highlighted we are facing some issues

When we are in courtship, we used to meet every weekend, he will arrange to meet on weekdays evening if he has to work on weekends. I cherish all the time spent together. He would pop by my place visit my parents as and when he is free, attend my family gathering and events. My parents and relatives have good impressions of him and i was warned not to bully him, because they said he is an innocent guy but kinda quiet. They are the ones who find topics to chat with him. From the beginning before we started, he already know what kind of family i grew up in, how much i value family gatherings etc.
I tried asking more about him, he only revealed that he is an only son and parents are of very old aged. As days pass by, i thought he would openly tell me when we are more stable in the relationship. Can you imagine I don't even know where he stay until i chanced upon his ic. He never took the initiative to bring me to his house, i asked and was rejected few times. He only introduces me to his parents officially after he proposed (i think i must have gone crazy to accept his proposal at that time). I was at the shock of my life when i first went and saw he actually stayed in a one room rental flat. My parents felt that, he could have felt inferior which was why he kept quiet about this house. His mother seems to be a very understanding and friendly lady when i first met her (that was before she started talking). The moment she talked about buying house near where they are currently staying or near the son's workplace (-_-"") kinda pissed me off, what seriously pissed me off was she is someone who shows favouritism, as she mentioned having grandSON next time. Well, i was pissed but i understand where is she coming from.

Things got worst when we were planning for wedding stuff. My family and myself wanted a simple affair (save cost at the same time), while they wanted a grand affair. I compromised but having him to promise a simple ROM (have to separate due to not a gd year to get married). He gave his promise to me for a simple ROM which i asked for, but things changed. 5 days before ROM, he told me we have to change venue as there are more people coming. From a simple ROM of 10 pax (immediate family only), it expanded to 30 pax. Reason given was his mother merely "informed but never invite" those relatives, plus he invited his friends. Though i'm the bride, the main for that day, i was the last person to know everything. No discussions, they open their mouth and I have to accept it. Where's the promise he had given to me? I highlighted to him, and he apologised and promised that there won't be next time and will discuss before making decisions.

As discussed before, in order to save costs, he agreed and promise that we will be putting up temporary at my parent's place after customary, because there's seriously no room for us to sleep in that envt. My parents offered us and he accepted. As days passed by, customary wedding is coming soon in July 2015 and more arguments arise when discussing. During these period, again things happened with him making own decisions with his mother to have this and that done their ways. The mother and son, decided to go for 4/5room whole unit rental which would cost $2400-2800 per month, excluding all other necessary expenses to maintain a home and other individual expenses. I was the last to know again. They have decided so I have to follow. He said he will only be fetching his parents to live with us, after we have settled down and have enjoyed our one year honeymoon period. Again, he did not keep to his words. Ever since ROM, we met once or twice a month, there are bound to be little arguments whenever we meet. I understand that he is working harder for future and I never blamed him for the lesser time spent with him. It is later then i realised, he can be free if he wants to. Reason: working over the weekend is not compulsory, i only found out when he said he can choose not to go work just because i mentioned i'm planning to go staycation with friends. He chose not to work but to go staycation with me.

I told him, that we are seriously down in communications and both parties have taken things for granted from the beginning. We argued but we forgot about the problems when we are happily patched. I had a few days of quietness to myself, I asked myself, is this the kind of marriage i want? Is this the kind of marriage that will keep go on with no changes? One day, i sent him a list of things I'm unhappy about him and all the differences in our character.
When i saw those in words, then i realised we actually had nothing in common at all, not even one. Annulment of marriage came into my mind, and I told him about it. He said I'm stupid to think of separating, we should learn to be forgiving and understanding. No matter what differences we have, he has never thought of separation because he loves me, and accepts me for who I am.

I had the whole house to myself when my parents and sis went holidays with other relatives. I applied leave staying home alone and started thinking of the problems we had. Problems were highlighted in the past but none was resolved, which ended up rolling like a big snowball now. His reply to me whenever i highlighted problems was "you are thinking too much, my dear." "we are doing fine, no worries". Main problem with us: Lack of communication. It is always a one-way traffic in this relationship. He doesn't call, he just sms/whatsapp. I called but he has never answered. He told me that he was afraid that we may end up quarrelling or him getting scolded if he answered the call. Despite the arguments, i still bought stuff like food, supplements, clothes etc for his parents, and he told me to mail it to him. He don't dare to meet me for the time being because he is afraid of seeing me, feared that will he get scolding from me, will we ended up quarrelling with each of us going back separately. I researched for marriage workshops, which he poured cold water over it by saying there is no need for that, we are perfectly fine. I highlighted that I do not enjoy the intimacy we had since day one. He went ahead when i said im not ready. When he only sleeps at my place for that few hours when he wants sex. 1) Dating till late night 2) have sex 3) rest for 2-3 hours 4) leave before dawn. These made me feel as though im a prostitute, not his wife. He then said he has to go because he can't leave his parents at home alone. I understood that because they are old, but it triggered my mind after our staycation trip! Why didn't he leave the hotel before dawn to go home?
Arguments started. He said if he is the wife, he would be very happy that the husband actually sacrificed his time with his parents to spend time with the wife, so i should be appreciative. That has never came across my mind all these years, because i need to weigh the importance, he is my husband, my lifetime companion, someone whom i should spend time with to keep this relationship going. It occurred and i questioned myself have i ever demanded him to spend time with me? I never expect him to stay at my place for all days without going home, i only asked for 1-2 nights. Am i asking for too much?

I felt that I have no more energy to continue in this anymore. Whatever i highlighted, whatever i said seems like my own problem and has nothing to do with him. I have never ever expect a husband to say he has to sacrifice his time with parents in order to be with the wife. He said things i said such as they never show respect for me, I have phobia to live with in-laws are hurting and not respecting him. Do i deserve this sort of treatment? Just because of his "innocent & honesty look" just like what his mother has.. they are the innocent parties, while i created this whole mess.

I am seriously lost.. Are we able to continue this marriage or should we just end it? People around me has told me to leave this person, when he doesn't even bother when he was informed that i met with an accident. Reason: i chose to go home myself, if i had taken his car, I would not have met with accident. It still boils down to my fault. Whenever i highlight problems, i always put it up front where my own mistakes are, the areas i have overlooked. He advised me to go counselling for anger/ stress management and he will get me the best psychiatrist.

Come to think about it, i am so surprised that i could endure such relationship for so long. We are no longer communicating until his fears go away. The best thing of all, i just discovered i am pregnant. I tested with 3 kits and are all positive. My marriage is a big mess, i really don't know what should i do if confirm pregnant by doctor. I love this guy, but i don't wish to continue in this marriage. My promises are meant for keeping while his are meant to be broken. A man who has broken all the promises he made... does he deserve another chance?

Mashiiii

Meet your husband and iron out the issue f2f. Tell him if things are not sorted out, you will choose go separate. Let him know that you are serious. He can be a filial son and a doting husband. Is not an either or thing. Another viewpoint is you suck it up and accept who he is, his character and work around it. Since you are preggy, there's a good chance the hormones are messing with you and hence the negative thoughts. If you are going ahead with the separation, are you prepared to be a single mum. Not its just not you and your husband in the picture, but also a child. There will be much more issues to communicate about after the child is born. If you love him, and he loves you, sit down and think what is for the best. Give and take is the long way to go in a marriage.

lelecy0305

Meet your husband and iron out the issue f2f. Tell him if things are not sorted out, you will choose go separate. Let him know that you are serious. He can be a filial son and a doting husband. Is not an either or thing. Another viewpoint is you suck it up and accept who he is, his character and work around it. Since you are preggy, there's a good chance the hormones are messing with you and hence the negative thoughts. If you are going ahead with the separation, are you prepared to be a single mum. Not its just not you and your husband in the picture, but also a child. There will be much more issues to communicate about after the child is born. If you love him, and he loves you, sit down and think what is for the best. Give and take is the long way to go in a marriage.
Hi Mashiiii, thanks for advicing.

These.problems have been going on for a long time before i found out the pregnancy. He has been avoiding looking at those problems. I asked when are we going to sit down and have a good chat to cleat up the big rocks in this marriage. He set on the date, subsequently postponed 4 times saying he has to work on weekends, therefore no time, he needs to bring his parents go temple, therefore no time on both days. So it was postponed time and again. He is a total different person when in courtship and after marriage. Questions and situations were resolved very fast before proposal. Thinking back, it seems like he will do anything to get you to accept his proposal and ignores everything else after marriage. I have never stopped him from being a filial son, i compromised with all their doings, they don't feel apologetic that they did not give respect to me after highlight again and again. I did tell him before, i am prepared to be separated if things are left unsolved. He said Im stupid to even think of that. His way of showing his love, is buying expensive stuff which i dont fancy nor use at all. Throughout these years, he only held my hand twice, on the day he wanted me to be his gf, and on ROM where we have to exchange rings. im the one who goes up to him not always but occasionally. He only snuggles close when he wants sex. He used to msg everyday asking dear how is everything. He said he fears of me, so nvr bother to return msgs now. Not even answering when i was in an emergency. I do love him, tried to accept whatever way i could but I felt whatever i have done are all taken granted. He gave me the feeling, he is marrying for the sake of getting married,needs someone to share financial burden on owning a house of their own, someone to meet his sexual needs, someone to reproduce and someone to take care of his parents. He said dont go around telling people that i am the victim as though he bullied me. I love kids so i wont abort this baby. If things doesnt work out, i will be a single mom.

Mashiiii

Hi lelecy,

Seems like you got a resolution in mind! And I'm glad that your kid will be entering your life. Agreed that communication is most impt, suggest you give him one more chance, now that you are preggy. He might change for the sake of a child. Tell him if he fears you, what point is there to continue a marriage. You guys did not BTO? Maybe the issue will be a whole lot smaller if you 2 live tgt..

zaclin29

Ok, I'll just go straight to the point in my comments here. U can ignore if u want to.

Omg I agree with u that he seems to be looking for someone to share his financial burden, take care of his parents and himself. How come u didn't get bto instead to stay? And this Mother and son decision making is really going to take a big toll on your relationship with him. The MiL and DIL relationship will be very bad the moment u stay together.

And if u are going to have a son, it will probably gets worst. Ie. she might take control of yr kid. And since he sounds like a mama boy, high chance he will do whatever his mum told him to do. And u can't decide what u wanna do with yr own kid!

I have seen such relationship among my frens & really no point staying with this guy. Better to get out of it ASAP. However I'm not sure if he can fight custody of yr unborn baby. I just hope that he doesn't turn violent on u if u decide to leave him. (Cos sometimes such guy will suddenly turn violent when things doesn't go his way). Better to break the news in a crowded place or with parents Ard.

He's not marriage material and u do not want to burden yourself and yr baby by staying with such guy and his family.

U still have a chance to get out of this terrible relationship.

lelecy0305

Hi lelecy,

Seems like you got a resolution in mind! And I'm glad that your kid will be entering your life. Agreed that communication is most impt, suggest you give him one more chance, now that you are preggy. He might change for the sake of a child. Tell him if he fears you, what point is there to continue a marriage. You guys did not BTO? Maybe the issue will be a whole lot smaller if you 2 live together..
Hi Mashiiii

that was what went through my mind when i heard that he has that fear so i pondered and questioned myself did i pressure that much? I admit when i am fierce, i am really one. Looks scary i guess.. He even told me to look into the mirror when im angry. We did apply BTO and will be ready next year too. His parents will be staying.

lelecy0305

Hi Zaclin29

Our flat will be ready next year. I ever told how i feel about the way im being treated just like someone to help him take care of everything not a wife, a lifetime companion. He told me, i have thought too much, he married me because he loves me. I seriously doubted his words. He ever told me he was single for 9 yrs until we met, so he may not know how to go after a girl like what others do. Some friends told me to give him another chance, i had given umpteen chances from courtship till now. Things has never changed. He told me balancing needs time, cant be done overnight. Shouldn't he have started to learn to balance when in the relationship? Me too have seen friends around me with such husbands, some managed to patch up but majority stil spilt up after counselling. I thought he might be a different one judging the way i was treated during the relationship but it is seriously a disaster after marriage. There are several times i brought up to be separated, he refused. He said couple in a marriage must learn to be understanding and go through rough paths together. However, he is not doing what he said. As for the baby, i definitely wont let him have, i will fight all i can to get the custody. I dont wish my child to grow up as a spoil brat with ill-manners.

Mashiiii

Give him an ultimatum like either you do these or bye. If you have absolute 0% of energy to give in anymore, just try this. Also not loss. :) I hope your parents will be supportive of you being a single mom! I nearly ended up one so I know your determination. Jiayous mummy!

lelecy0305

Give him an ultimatum like either you do these or bye. If you have absolute 0% of energy to give in anymore, just try this. Also not loss. :) I hope your parents will be supportive of you being a single mom! I nearly ended up one so I know your determination. Jiayous mummy!
Actually i did that. I told him my tolerance limit has flowed out of the bottle which I could hold. I wanted to be separated but he still says im stupid to think that way. He quoted that situations will still end up the same way because of my hot temper, any other guys won't be as tolerant as he does. I said once bitten twice shy, doubt i will even reconsider remarry. Still there is no way to call for an annulment i guess. Have to wait for 4 years.. :(

Joeychen85

To be straight forward . If im u , i will straight divorce tis guys asap with out letting him know tat his going to be a father . A relationship nids more communication between ech other , respect is very important in relationship . Since ur rom still with in a year , if u really wish to seperated wif him . Den u shld act fast b4 he kno ur pregnant n b4 ur rom pass 1 yr . As if ur rom not more den 1 yr , speration can b very fast . But once it pass more den a yr , den u will have to tk 3 yrs time or more to settle n get divorce approval by law . Ur husband is those mama boy , only listen to his parent . Tat mean even both of u gt d chance to sit dwn , face to face . I beg it wont turns up to solve ur problem . Unless u really file a divorce against him , den he will realise tat his wrong tat didnt even give both of u a chance to listen . So i will suggest u file a divorce against him wif out letting him kno tat ur pregnant . Cos i tin he will change for d sake of d child . But once ur child is born , he might end up b d 1 file divorce against u . Fight for ur child custody if ur having a son.. but if let say ur having a girl , he might still fight for it , b cos his mother say so .

lelecy0305

Hi JoeyChen85, I have asked ard and was told i have no grounds to call for an annulment. none of e grounds like adultery etc fits our situations, and was told we will be asked to go for counselling first if applying for divorce. I wont want myself nor my kid to grow up in that kinda envt. Now he doesnt even msg at all just bcoz he said he fears me. what a lousy wife i have been throughout these while. good intentions to salvage a marriage turned things out. some ppl said i might be too harsh in forcing him to think.out of his comfort zone. if i dont persist, he will just leave things as it as thinking i will forget it soon

Mashiiii

http://www.divorcelawyerinsingapore.net/how-to-obtain-an-annulment-of-marriage-in-singapore

I think you can try to apply for annulment on the ground that you 2 have not been staying together since rom. I heard my friends annul their <1 year marriage based on this b4. But they were not preggy la..

Poppui

Hi,

Does he know ur pregnant?

If I were u I will informed him and then silent (not giving him update at all) like what he did to u.

I would try to trigger his Anger and then talk nicely to him slowly. If he don't listen to u at all, you can tell him f2f u want a divorce and u can see his true face. Guys also tend to give up if u keep repeating u want a divorce.

It won't be easy to be a single mother, especially for ur child.

My point of view, he don't know how to be a good husband and avoid u is the best way otherwise he may lose u. I believe he still love u that's why he keep asking his mom opinion.

Note: after ur child born, the problem will become very big for such a small matter.

Lynn23

Hi,

In my opinion, I will leave this guy because I truly believe that marriage would turn out to be a disaster since there is no proper communication. It is obviously that he is making use of you to support his family etc. Guys who cannot keep his promises would not make a good husband. Since you had already seen his true colours, I would feel is better to leave him asap, do NOT expect guys to change his character for the sake of you after marriage as the chances is slim. You will suffer even more esp when your child is born.

Joeychen85

Yes , without communication tins will turn out worst . And if he doesnt give both of u chance by settle dwn n tok . Den no point . Yes nw might b very difficult , nid go tru alot of tins to get divorce . But at least u still get . N some more tis is d only way tat he can go tru counselling wif u . So if d counselling does wrk for both of u . Den tats great , cos at least ur child will have a complete family . But if it dun , den u have to b a single mum . But better den stay wif a guy , which he dunno is love or fear to b wif u . If fear u more , den tats not love . Cos to him u might b his support to get to rent a bigger hse for his parent . Of cos sex partner . But if he let u go , he will lose d support n of cos sex partner .

lynnliew

It sounds like he doesnt really care about you which is sad. It will definitely get worst when your child is born...when there are more responsibilities..you will be more frustrated & helpless when you see how he siam all de responsibilities. A man doesnt change until he wants to... if you have family & frens to support you, then its better for you to move on if dis guy really doesnt care.

lovemum

think hard..

Hi, I m divorced. My ex-husband wanted the divorce. At first, I couldn't accept nor come to terms with that! I was depressed. I had problems with in-laws as well. They were selfish to only think of their own.
Now it's almost 2 years since my divorce. I moved back to stay with my mum as she helped me looked after my daughter. My ex-husband only sees her once every 2 weeks/once a month.
Although initially i cannot accept, I think I now feel happier on my own. Don't have the burden of living or having to put up with frustrations alone. Now I work a normal job that doesn't pay very well, but enough for myself and child.