Lots of ques regards to BM...

Feliz

I jus bought Avent breast pump got lots of question regarding to storing of breastmilk n etc.. anyone can help??

-keep in freezer or normal fridge?
-How much to pump?
-If want to use e breast milk to feed dd, how to warm it up?
-How long can i keep my breast milk in e fridge/freezer?
-how many time should i pump in one day?
-Can i mix FM & BM for dd? if yes, how much amt each??

Thanks in advance..

PinkDiamonds

Hi dear, if you keep your BM in the fridge, you should use it within 48 hours. In Singapore's weather, I will use it by the next day. For freezer it can last 2-3 weeks I think, but I try to use them in a week.

How much to pump will depend on your supply. A general rule is to pump around 15min - 30min, or until your breasts are empty (they feel so soft like they've been deflated).

I use a warmer to warm up the milk when needed. It takes me about 10 - 15minutes to warm up the milk.

Since you have u've just given birth, I assume you are exclusively latching on your baby. Thus you should pump if you've skipped a feeding.

If you need to supplement with FM, feed her BM first (through your breasts or bottle), followed by FM. Don't mix the 2.

Finally, try to latch on your daughter at every feeding as it will be essential to establish your milk supply. You may, however, wish to pump 3-4 times a day after a feed to help boost the supply. But this is optional.

snowbear

-keep in freezer or normal fridge?-How long can i keep my breast milk in e fridge/freezer?
Keep in fridge can only keep for up to 48hrs and that's if you put the bottle of ebm deep in the fridge and not at the fridge door.
Keep in normal freezer can last 3mths.
Keep in chest freezer can last 6mths or longer.

-How much to pump?
Pump out as much as you can! How much is she drinking now? If you can pump more, just store the rest in the freezer.

-If want to use e breast milk to feed dear daughter, how to warm it up?
You can use a bottle warmer or just a cup of hot water and place the bottle in it. I prefer to use the bottle warmer coz can control the temp (ideal temp for drinking is 40degC).

Ideally, you shld pump for every feed if your supply=demand now.

-Can i mix FM & breast milk for dear daughter? if yes, how much amt each??
I've never mixed FM and bm so can't help you with this...

Feliz

Hi dear, if you keep your breast milk in the fridge, you should use it within 48 hours. In Singapore's weather, I will use it by the next day. For freezer it can last 2-3 weeks I think, but I try to use them in a week.

How much to pump will depend on your supply. A general rule is to pump around 15min - 30min, or until your breasts are empty (they feel so soft like they've been deflated).

I use a warmer to warm up the milk when needed. It takes me about 10 - 15minutes to warm up the milk.

Since you have you've just given birth, I assume you are exclusively latching on your baby. Thus you should pump if you've skipped a feeding.

If you need to supplement with FM, feed her breast milk first (through your breasts or bottle), followed by FM. dont't mix the 2.

Finally, try to latch on your daughter at every feeding as it will be essential to establish your milk supply. You may, however, wish to pump 3-4 times a day after a feed to help boost the supply. But this is optional.

Thanks pinkdiamonds.. I cant latch dd too much as my nipple are sore n bleeding too.. Yest my first pump, my milk supply was 100ml.. follow by that is 60ml but today only 40ml.. so sad!..

anyway if for example, in e afternoon i pump 40ml den i store in e fridge, after that evening i pump another 40ml.. can i mix both for bb to drink or hav to feed in diff bottle?

Thanks pinkdiamonds.. I cant latch dear daughter too much as my nipple are sore n bleeding too.. Yest my first pump, my milk supply was 100ml.. follow by that is 60ml but today only 40ml.. so sad!..

anyway if for example, in e afternoon i pump 40ml then i store in e fridge, after that evening i pump another 40ml.. can i mix both for baby to drink or hav to feed in diff bottle?
Hi Felzdown,

actually you can wear nipple shield when your nipples are sore and bleeding. It can be bought in Kiddy Palace or any store of sort. Nipple shield comes in a pair and is cheap within $10.00.

Yes, you can combine milk pump from different sessions to feed your baby. But, they have to be of the same temperature before you combine them. I will usually put the latter in the fridge and wait for an hour or so. After that, combine with the 1st bottle.

jojoki

Thanks pinkdiamonds.. I cant latch dear daughter too much as my nipple are sore n bleeding too.. Yest my first pump, my milk supply was 100ml.. follow by that is 60ml but today only 40ml.. so sad!..

anyway if for example, in e afternoon i pump 40ml then i store in e fridge, after that evening i pump another 40ml.. can i mix both for baby to drink or hav to feed in diff bottle?
hi felzdown, v cute baby btw. make sure u r eating well (protein from meat. etc) n drinking enuf (soup, juices, etc) to keep ur bm supply well. remember the more u pump/ latch the more bm u will have. cheers n gambate!!

Feliz

hi felzdown, very cute baby btw. make sure you are eating well (protein from meat. etc) n drinking enuf (soup, juices, etc) to keep your breast milk supply well. remember the more you pump/ latch the more breast milk you will have. cheers n gambate!!

Thanks jojoki.. :001_302: ya hav been eating lots of meat n ngon fish (i think wrong spelling) for every meal..

anyway how long mus i wait to pump again for e nex feeding.??

Feliz

Hi Felzdown,

actually you can wear nipple shield when your nipples are sore and bleeding. It can be bought in Kiddy Palace or any store of sort. Nipple shield comes in a pair and is cheap within $10.00.

Yes, you can combine milk pump from different sessions to feed your baby. But, they have to be of the same temperature before you combine them. I will usually put the latter in the fridge and wait for an hour or so. After that, combine with the 1st bottle.

WOW i didnt know nipple shield can do that.. will go get one soon.. thanks daisy12moo.. :tlaugh:

Thanks jojoki.. :001_302: ya hav been eating lots of meat n ngon fish (i think wrong spelling) for every meal..

anyway how long mus i wait to pump again for e nex feeding.??
Do you already hv a tube of nipple cream? Apply after every pump or feed. Helps sore nipple heal faster. I apply cream after every feed when i've air-dried my nipples. I continued latching my gal with my sore nipples cos i had blocked ducts and was badly engorged. Only way is to let her suckle.

Read somewhere that milk supply re-generates after every 3 hrs. I either express when my gal doesn't feed in 3 hrs or when my breasts feel full. You will feel the pain or your breasts hardening when they are full.

Hope these help. :)

cmeilim

hi felzdown, congrats on your newborn!

-keep in freezer or normal fridge?
-How long can i keep my breast milk in e fridge/freezer?
fridge for usage within 48h, tho i usu clear mine within 24h. freezer for usage within 3 months, tho i usu clear mine within 1 mth.

-How much to pump?

-If want to use e breast milk to feed dear daughter, how to warm it up?
i use hot water bath. dun overheat your EBM if you are using an electric food warmer, as excess heat will break down the milk and kill all the good antibodies. you only need to warm cold EBM till abt room temperature actually. dun worry, baby won't get a stomach ache.

overall, the daily no. of feeds your baby takes should be maintained minimally, whether thru direct latch or pump then feed EBM. this is to ensure milk supply does not drop. if u wish to start storing EBM, you can pump more but it's not necessary since you probably have a few more months of maternity leave to stay at home and nurse baby via direct latch.

do try to latch baby on as much as possible as no pump will clear the breasts like baby's suckling. breastfeeding is painful at the start; sore/cracked/bleeding nipples are the norm. so u have to be prepared that it can last between 4-6 weeks on average. if u keep having sore/bleeding nipples for another week or two, please go and see a lactation consultant at the hospital you delivered or another hospital. bring your baby along and get the LC to watch how you latch on your baby and how she suckles. ask the LC to help you correct your latch. prolonged sore nipples are a sure sign that your baby is not latching on correctly. you have to pay consultation fee (abt $50 for 1-1.5h) but it's worth it. trust me, i've been down that road. it took me four weeks to bear with the gnawing pain until i couldn't take it anymore and went to see a LC. it was a dramatic improvement.

-Can i mix FM & breast milk for dear daughter? if yes, how much amt each??
DS has been on total breastfeeding for six months. i can't advise you on this but my guess is you shouldn't mix them becos it's a waste of EBM if she can't finish the whole bottle in one feed. you can't keep leftover milk till the next feed.

cmeilim

oh yes, i recommend applying lansinoh cream after each nursing and then air-drying your nipples. in between feeds, to avoid your sore nipples coming into contact with your bra or clothes, wear breast shells. you can get these from kiddy palace - avent, medela. note that breast shells are different from nipple shields. you wear nipple shields when nursing your baby to avoid even more sore nipples. you wear breast shells to collect BM on the other breast when nursing baby on one breast, and also in between feeds to protect your nipples from abrasion. nipple shields have more pointed tips. breast shells are more gently curved. i think a pair of breast shells cost abt $15-$20.

oh, i realise i forgot to reply to u earlier on how much to pump. i've realised that during each pumping, i can achieve two let-down reflex. a let-down reflex is when your milk comes flowing faster and in bigger drops. so after you got milk from the first let-down, be patient and continue pumping for another 10-15 min. you should get your second let-down that will probably give you another couple of tens of ml of EBM. =)

gambatte!!! you can do it!!

adlieyn

Like finally sombody have given birth !
hahaha .. Very cute lah ur baby .. and I like the name ..
congrats !! Dun forget take jamu ok ..
:err:​