Low Lying Placenta

Worrywort

had my detailed scan last week and all was good, no mention of any low lying placenta or anything.

just today i went to a gynae nearest to my home (wasn't feeling too well) and was told that placenta was low (can't remember the exact words, but low, definitely mentioned). i asked the doc if it was anything to be worried about as i had read in forums before there were issues about this, but doc told me not to worry... but of course i started worrying :( i've read that most placentas move up as the pregnancy progresses. I looked at the u/s pic he gave me but i can't quite tell where's the placenta and how to see if it's low, but my baby girl does look quite cramped in there :S doesnt look like she has much room to move....

anyone had similar experiences?

kams

All my 4 pregnancies have low-lying placentas & dey moved up by 3rd trimester in my 1st 3 pregnancies.

As for my 4th pregnancy, the placenta didn't move up by 28wks scan & gynae scheduled me for more frequent scans as I neared my due date. Mine is partial placenta previa, meaning the placenta is is very near or covers part of the cervical opening. If I can recall correctly, if the placenta is less than 2cm away from cervix, I won't be allowed to have a normal delivery. Luckily mine was 3.5cm away from cervix at my 39wk scan. So I was able to go for normal delivery :)

i'm 22 weeks and placenta is lowlying...doc say hopefully it moves up otherwise say hi to c section which i do not want

XenXuan

I had low lying placenta during my detail scan too.. Now in my 29weeks,doctor said it have moved up n I can still go for my natural birth..oso have asked back then as I was quite worried,doctor said it's quite common among pregnancy to have low placenta,most of them will move up as u reach 3rd trimester,if not will have to go for c-section birth..Dun worry too much,relax urself..

Worrywort

Thank u all for your replies :) am 24 weeks now and during my last visit last fri my placenta is now back to normal! Am so happy :) hopefully it doesn't go back low again.

pipilili

I also went for DS and gynae also say its normal to be low now...he says only need to worry in 3rd trimester.

Hope you are less worried now..

I also have low placenta now...in 21 weeks.:001_302::001_302:

crazycat

I just found out that i have a low lying placenta too... 20weeks now.. is there anything we can do??? Search form the net.. they say nothing much to do... *some of the elder generations told me... not to walk, stand and squat to much... lay down more.... does it helps?

XenXuan

I oso heard lying down more,more bed rest,dun walk/sit/stand too long will help but not sure if it really works..I was only massaging my tummy gently when lyin down on bed n sleeping on my sides more.. It's usual in 2nd trimester to have low placenta,dun worry too much.. Usually will move up b4 u reach 3rd trimester..

KC28

Hello everyone!
I also have low lying placenta which was first noticed in my 20 week scan. Now I'm 29 weeks and my placenta is 1cm away from cervix opening from my scan last Thurs (Apr 7). Have been put to bed rest for a week due to spotting/bleeding last Thurs.
This is my first baby (boy) after waiting for almost 6 years so I am very much tormented of the spotting.
My baby is very active though which helps to re-assure and console me.
Anyone has the same experience? Appreciate your inputs.
God Bless us all!

azzzima

Hi

I had low lying placenta when I was in my 29th week. My placenta was normal for the previous check ups. When I went for my next check up, my placenta shifted upwards. Dont worry too much. Usually it ll move up. But try not to overexert yourself as a precaution. Take care!

KC28

Hi Azzzima,

Thank you for the response, it gives me more hope.

Hi

I had low lying placenta when I was in my 29th week. My placenta was normal for the previous check ups. When I went for my next check up, my placenta shifted upwards. Dont worry too much. Usually it ll move up. But try not to overexert yourself as a precaution. Take care!

newbiemummy

Hello fellow mummies,
i have a low lying placenta too. Found out during the 20th week scan, gynae said just don't exert myself and refrain from intercourse. I've always been spotting and few weeks after, i was bleeding. rushed to the hospital and thank God all okay but I was put on strict bed rest and had to take iron tablets and a medication that prevents my uterus from contracting. Now I am in my 27 week, still spotting but no more heavy bleeding. Going to see the gynae tmr and hopefully my placenta has moved up, i am really hoping for a natural delivery.

azzzima

Hello fellow mummies,
i have a low lying placenta too. Found out during the 20th week scan, gynae said just dont't exert myself and refrain from intercourse. I've always been spotting and few weeks after, i was bleeding. rushed to the hospital and thank God all okay but I was put on strict bed rest and had to take iron tablets and a medication that prevents my uterus from contracting. Now I am in my 27 week, still spotting but no more heavy bleeding. Going to see the gynae tomorrow and hopefully my placenta has moved up, i am really hoping for a natural delivery.
hope it does and baby's fine throughout. be strong and hope you will deliver naturally. :D

kams

Rest as much as possible & DELEGATE all chores to others, even hubby! All the best mummies!

lydiaveroni

my gynae said it have slight low lying placenta and have nthn to worry about. but i do experience pain if i walk too much and my tummy was pain when i had sex. now i dont dare to over exert any force

rysse

i also have low lying placenta when i went for checkup at 16 weeks.. any precaution tat we should take note? hopefully it will move upwards in the next checkup ..

april1130

hi just to share.my sister in law. her 2nd pregnant . her placenta also low.. during her 20 week check up.. doc say it may move up. try to rest more,
but she looking after my 3 year old kid at that time, . so still got to carry him. den on the 29 week her placenta still low. and doc say may need to go for c-section if the placenta never move up. hai. . / and if got any bleed need to come to A n E.

den on her 33 week. early morning when she wan to go to the toilet when she stand up. she saw blood running down from both leg. den was send to hospital. and she do not feel any contraction as she saw the blood make her more scare that cannot feel any other feeling.

was admin 3 day in hospital. den doc discharge her. but on the 34 week. she do bleed again. when end up stay at hospital till she give birth, ( . during the day staying at hopsital is like confinement lor. can't walk here and there . she also can't walk to bath. they all do not allow her to walk around. that was her very hard time. staying the hospital about 3 week before c-section. and during this 3 week . she have going up to delivery ward up and down dun know how many time. cos when she stay in the normal ward. when she bleed again den they send her up to delivery ward. scare that baby might come out. ( but doc do not wan her baby to come out that early as my baby only 1.8 kg when 36 weeks. which is small. den after every think check . den she was push down to normal ward again. this happen 3-4 time. hai yo.
that time very stress and also scare about the hospital bill. as staying in hospital almost going to 1 months den plus c-section. . cos her 1st baby is normal delivery at kk. and cos her about $2k( stay in kk about 3 days).
den the 2nd was at NUH. and so stress about the bill. but after every thing include the c-section u know what . the bill is much cheaper den the normal delivery . less den ($1.8K for total bill )
the doc had decide to do the c section when she is in 37 week.
as she say baby size is still small. cos she keep bleeding which also not good for her too.
so had agree to do c section and after that rest at hospital another 4 day den she can discharge. ( luckly baby was out still small but healthy at the weight or 2.2kg. hee

Last edited:

newbiemummy

April1130 - oh dear! i feel so sorry for your sis in law. I was on a week's mc on 2 occasions cos of my bleeding, one in first trimester and the other just a few weeks back and it was so scary, not knowing what's gonna happen.
saw my gynae last week and he said, the placenta is moving up so im crossing fingers. Still spotting every day and i noticed when i'm stressed, i spot more. just worried about my job cos i dont think my boss is very supportive and its just so frustrating. Wonder if any mummies experience the same thing?

Smurfete

I am now at my 22nd week. The detailed scan shows that my placenta is almost covering the entire cervic. My gynae said there is no chance that the placenta will move up, but I am hoping against hope.
Looking at the ultrasound scans, i realise that baby has turned head up. In the previous ultrasound scans, baby is head down and placenta is in normal position during then. I wonder if baby changes its position again, will the placenta move up.