Maid's salaries and dayoff

Celinecatheirne

Dear all mummies,

Recently I tried to find a Filipno maid to replace my current maid. However, I really feel that some transfer maid/ex-sin Filipino maids are very demanding. Their salaries increase from $380 to $500. They insists to have day-off at least twice a month/every sunday include public holiday. Our living cost is increasing dramatically. Now we need to bear more maid's cost too. Recently, some people discuss maid's day off. I do agree that employers have to give them one a month day off but subject to case to case. I really feel that government protect maids more than employers. Some employers also need to work during weekend without day off and salaries increase. Why government don't protect us? Anyway, I hope MOM can set the salaries
ceiling and day off guideline. Otherwise, maids will abuse use their right.

pixie

Hi, I am looking to hire a Filipina maid with some working experience. As far as I know Indonesian maids will accept no day off if you are willing to pay an extra of $20 on top of her current pay. However, almost 90% of the filipina maids will insist of having at least 2 days off in each month (some will request 1 day off weekly). So if you do not like the idea of giving maid day off, you might want to consider maids of other nationality.

As for pay, filipina maids with some experience, usually they expect their pay to be slightly higher. I've know a few friends whose filipina maids are degree holders in the Philippines and some even have nursing degree. So for them to request at least $100-200 more from say Indo maids, I suppose it is reasonable.

I am currently having my confinement and will only go back to work in October, so I still have some time to hunt/interview the right helper to take care of my baby. My family is small (just 3 persons) so we do not need the maid to do cooking; her main duties are taking care of the baby and do housework.

Best of luck to you in hiring a good maid.

hpc

Install a cctv before ur maid come.It is not advisable to let maid take care of infant unless someone is at home,think twice before getting a maid.Employing a maid is to help us n not giving us problems.