Many Qns to ask!

apollo

hi mummies,

i'm going to start ds with solid food in a few weeks time. Wanna ask a few qns so tt i can get myself well prepared.. :001_302:

1. for baby 1st solid food, brown rice cereal or normal rice cereal is better? or must start with normal rice 1st? i'm thinking of getting heathy times brown rice cereal...

2. for puree, do i have to get a blender? which blender is good and affordable?

3. must blend the food immediately or can wait for the food to be cool abit?

4. aft blending, must put into the freezer immediately despit it is still hot? cos my mum said cannot put hot food into the fridge...

5. other than pumpkim, sweet potato, carrot, what type of food can i give to ds when he is only 6mths (by then) old?

Mummies, pls help me!! thks in advance!! :001_302:

PinkDiamonds

Hi Regina mummy,
I'd recommend u Heinz Organic Rice Cereal but unfortunately whole SG is out of stock. I bought Healthy Times too, but have decided to wait until DD is 6 months before I introduce her rice cereal again.

Remember to start with a small amount and make it more liquidy. if u are mixing in breastmilk u shld expect it to be VERY watery. den u can slowly increase the thickness every 3 days and the amount.

snowbear

hi mummies,

i'm going to start dear son with solid food in a few weeks time. Wanna ask a few qns so that i can get myself well prepared.. :001_302:

1. for baby 1st solid food, brown rice cereal or normal rice cereal is better? or must start with normal rice 1st? i'm thinking of getting heathy times brown rice cereal...

4. after blending, must put into the freezer immediately despit it is still hot? cos my mum said cannot put hot food into the fridge...

5. other than pumpkim, sweet potato, carrot, what type of food can i give to dear son when he is only 6mths (by then) old?

Hi, how time flies! Your ds gonna be 6mths old soon! You can start with healthy times brown rice cereal. It's suitable from 6mths onwards.

You can chk out my blog for blender recommendation under Tools.

Usually i wait for the food to cool a bit before i blend.

Whether hot food can be put into the freezer immediately depends on your fridge. Read the manual to see if it's possible.

You can give avocado, banana, applesauce. The pamphlet i got from the PD which is produced by the Health Promotion Board says it's ok to start feeding potato, fish, egg yolk (hard-boiled only)...

You can chk out www.wholesomebabyfood.com and even my blog if you like. :)

fioncess

my baby turning 4 mth can start on cereal??? my mum who is taking care of her say can start?? is it true???

PinkDiamonds

my baby turning 4 month can start on cereal??? my mum who is taking care of her say can start?? is it true???
It depends on whether your daughter is showing signs of readiness or not. I introduced rice cereal to my girl twice but I stopped and have decided to wait till she turns 6 months.

As long as your girl is gaining weight well, there is no need to start on cereal. Unless she feels hungry more often. Eg: usually you feed her every 4 hours but now you find that she wants milk before that, or if she wakes up more regularly than usual for milk, etc.

I believe it is also quite important that your baby must be able to tell if she is full or not. As you know babies who are too young will just take it whatever you give them, even if they are very full. So you may end up overfeeding her if you start now but she is unable to tell when she is full.

Doctors recommend you to start at 6 months as by then their system would be much more mature and they will be less likely to be allergic to foods. HTHs

diymummy

My reply in blue... :)

hi mummies,

i'm going to start dear son with solid food in a few weeks time. Wanna ask a few qns so that i can get myself well prepared.. :001_302:

I think the brown rice cereal is fine. Healthy Times one that is... My boy's starting to get accustomed to it. I started with white rice first then he didn't really like brown rice after I introduced it. I think white rice one tastes nicer.

I'm using Braun hand blender. 600W version. I heard that the 450W version breaks down more easily.

I blend it immediately. If wait also at most 10min.

4. after blending, must put into the freezer immediately despit it is still hot? cos my mum said cannot put hot food into the fridge...
Yes I put it in when it's still hot. Usually people wait for it to cool as it might spoil the freezer. But I believe that's the case for older fridges. I think newer fridges/freezers would not be so "fragile"

5. other than pumpkim, sweet potato, carrot, what type of food can i give to dear son when he is only 6mths (by then) old?
I also gave banana, pear, brocolli and potato. You can visit www.wholesomebabyfood.com They have a list of vege and fruits which you can feed and the age appropriateness of each.

snowbear

I also gave banana, pear, brocolli and potato. You can visit www.wholesomebabyfood.com They have a list of vege and fruits which you can feed and the age appropriateness of each.
diymummy, you gave broccoli at 6mths? wow... did your bb have any bad reaction to it? Coz it's not easily digested and may cause bb painful gas in tummy so it's usually recommended to give broccoli only after 8mths. Even then, some babies have problems with it! :001_302:

diymummy

Hi snowbear, yeah I gave my baby at 6mths.. He seems ok with it... Hahaha.. I didn't know only can give after 8mths...

But after a while he didn't like it anymore... :( So I'm not sure if it's coz of the smell or that it causes him to be gassy...

apollo

thks mummies!!! ur have anw my qns!! haha!!

but may i know hw much ur bought for ur blender?? is phillips one good??

Snowbear mummy, i read ur blog, i have the tollyjoy tools, but is other brand.. the tools useful??

apollo

my baby turning 4 month can start on cereal??? my mum who is taking care of her say can start?? is it true???
pinkdiamonds mummy is right, must see if ur baby is ready anot.. ds has been wanting milk more frequently, my mum also suggest me to give him brown rice cereal.. but i feel that ds still cant really sit well in his bumbo chair so didnt start.. might be strting him on cereal when he is ard 5mth+.. my pd said 5.5mth can slowly start giving alrdy... =)

snowbear

thks mummies!!! your have anw my qns!! haha!!

but may i know hw much your bought for your blender?? is phillips one good??

Snowbear mummy, i read your blog, i have the tollyjoy tools, but is other brand.. the tools useful??
I didn't buy that blender. The blender in my blog's the one that autumn82's using. She says it's good worr. :)

I find the sieve and the thing for pressing food thru the sieve very useful! :) Still using the bowl and spoon for feeding.

diymummy

Sorry, just confused and curious.
Blend what kind of food? Why is there cold and hot?
Hi Triquetra, usually the first foods that babies start on are rice cereals and vege puree. So usually I would steam the vegetables and then blend it so that it becomes puree (like a paste). After steam is piping hot. So question is to blend it straight out from the steamer or wait for it to cool before blending and putting it into the freezer. :)

apollo

I didn't buy that blender. The blender in my blog's the one that autumn82's using. She says it's good worr. :)

I find the sieve and the thing for pressing food thru the sieve very useful! :) Still using the bowl and spoon for feeding.
the sieve izzit the wooden one?? the wooden stick?? tt time tot of giving away that set, lucky i didnt! haha!!

apollo

Hi mummies,

i just bought a box of Healthy Time cereal but realised that the instructions only started to add in BM or FM but did non start hw many ml to add in. usually how much milk do u add in for 1 tablespoon of cereal?

and can i add in puree into his brown rice cereal??

as for vege puree, other than carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, what other vege can i intro him aft tt?? hw abt fruits? which fruits to give??

PinkDiamonds

Hey mummy, they didn't tell you how much to add because you supposed to start with a thin consistency and slowing increasing it to be thicker. So it's pretty much your own gauge. Depends on how much your son is taking also.

snowbear

Hi mummies,

i just bought a box of Healthy Time cereal but realised that the instructions only started to add in breast milk or FM but did non start hw many ml to add in. usually how much milk do you add in for 1 tablespoon of cereal?

and can i add in puree into his brown rice cereal??

as for vege puree, other than carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, what other vege can i intro him after that?? hw about fruits? which fruits to give??
I used to add ebm into the cereal. How much milk/liquid to put depends on the consistency you want. Add slowly and stir and see if it's too watery/thick. When just starting out, dun make too thick.

Yes, you can add puree into the cereal. But after he's gotten used to eating cereal first.

You can try peas as well. Fruits you can give avocado, banana, papaya, applesauce (steamed apples).

apollo

I used to add ebm into the cereal. How much milk/liquid to put depends on the consistency you want. Add slowly and stir and see if it's too watery/thick. When just starting out, dont make too thick.

Yes, you can add puree into the cereal. But after he's gotten used to eating cereal first.

You can try peas as well. Fruits you can give avocado, banana, papaya, applesauce (steamed apples).
thks snowbear mummy.. btw how to choose & prepare acovada?? mind sharing =D