Maternity leave

shahshah

hi can anyone help me?i am in the government sector and have been on hospitalisation leave eversince i got warded in feb due to complications,am giving birth mid april,doctor has given me mc till my due date,does anyone know if i continue to take this mc,how many days before i give birth is it converted to maternity leave?has anyone been in my situation when you were on mc until you give birth and they convery that c to maternity leave before you give birth?

Sweetoothz

Hey babe, for all I know u can take the maternity leave right after u give birth. Meaning to say on the day or after u gave birth then will chg to maternity leave?
Correct me if I'm wrong...

shahshah

hi thanks for replying,the thing is there is a certain ruling like if you were on long mc and during mc you give birth,they will change the mc a few days before you give birth because you never went back to work.but i dont know how many days before the actual due date,they will convert to ml.am so confused with this rulng.

ks76mummy

Hi shahshah,

I used to have this colleague who went on 2 weeks leave before she was due as she wanted to rest at home and get ready. I recalled (few years back though) my company treated that as maternity leave. But am not too sure with MC though. Would you be able to clarify with your HR? Would be the safest I guess as some of the ruling are indeed very confusing haha.

polopolo

Hi Shahshah,

I was given hospitalisation leave(what they called mc) for about 2 months. It's all the way to the day i gave birth. My company's ruling was I am entitled to 60 days of hospitalisation leave including mc... After i have used up these 60 days, it will automatically be maternity leave. If however you took less than 60 days of hospitalisation leave including mc, the maternity leave starts from the day u gave birth. U gota check with ur company on their leave policy, u can ask the HR dept regarding this issue, they shud be able to advise u.
Hope this info is helpful.

rosemummy

It depends on individual company policy. For my company, maternity leave starts the day we are hospitalized. If you wish to rest earlier, we take our own annual leave. Think Mc given only for special case? Best to check with your HR:)

hi thanks for replying,the thing is there is a certain ruling like if you were on long mc and during mc you give birth,they will change the mc a few days before you give birth because you never went back to work.but i dont know how many days before the actual due date,they will convert to ml.am so confused with this rulng.

Jenni

hi can anyone help me?i am in the government sector and have been on hospitalisation leave eversince i got warded in feb due to complications,am giving birth mid april,doctor has given me mc till my due date,does anyone know if i continue to take this mc,how many days before i give birth is it converted to maternity leave?has anyone been in my situation when you were on mc until you give birth and they convery that c to maternity leave before you give birth?
you can take Maternity leave 4 weeks before your due date... Over all still need to see how you tell your company...

Addee

Singaporean Citizen giving birth to Singaporean Children, MOM website states that "An eligible employee is entitled to absent herself from work four weeks immediately before and 12 weeks immediately after delivery, totalling 16 weeks."
(http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/employment-rights-conditions/leave-and-holiday/Pages/maternity-leave.aspx)

Some companies are flexible about the conversion to ML (maternity leave). However there are companies who do not want their staff to max out their hospitalization leave so they will want you to take your ML earlier. For this you've got to discuss with your boss and HR.

4months ML + 2months hospitalization leave is half a year gone from office

diza

I guess you have given birth by now.. Anyway, I'm working in the govt sector too and my friend told me if I ever want to take ML before giving birth, I somehow need to "break" the ML or it will be converted to maternity leave.... So better check with ur respective HR side.

xuezhen09

hi there,

i have the same concern as shah shah too..
i have been given mc and hospitalization leave since january and i am only due in July..
I am also worried that i won't be entitled to the maternity leave as in the employment act it states the following..

Under the Child Development Co-Savings Act, an employee is entitled to maternity leave benefits if:
  1. The child is a Singapore Citizen;
  2. The child's parents are lawfully married; and
  3. The employee has served her employer for at least 90 days before the child's birth
so if we are given long hospitalization leave (exceeding the 60 days of course), does that mean we are not entitled for the maternity leave privilege of 16 weeks??

Addee

If you are under employment 90 days before child birth, you are entitled to ML. 60 days hospitalization is 'medical benefit', part of employment.
Non Singapore citizen will have 8 weeks paid ML

xuezhen09

If you are under employment 90 days before child birth, you are entitled to ML. 60 days hospitalization is 'medical benefit', part of employment.
Non Singapore citizen will have 8 weeks paid ML
oh.. but lets say if i used up my hospitalization leave entitlement.. and i am only due in another 2.5 mths.. so the rest is considered unpaid hospitalization leave.. am i still entitled for the 4 mths maternity leave??

coz i am concern about "The employee has served her employer for at least 90 days before the child's birth"
i am afraid in the end i am not entitled to the maternity leave..

Jenni

oh.. but lets say if i used up my hospitalization leave entitlement.. and i am only due in another 2.5 mths.. so the rest is considered unpaid hospitalization leave.. am i still entitled for the 4 mths maternity leave??

coz i am concern about "The employee has served her employer for at least 90 days before the child's birth"
i am afraid in the end i am not entitled to the maternity leave..
The employee has served her employer for at least 90 days before the child's birth - as long as u have serve the company more then 90 days u are entitle to the maternity leave... How u going to use for the leave u have to talk to ur HR...

xuezhen09

yea.. i called MOM and clarify it.. they say as long as u r not terminated from the company.. you are still entitled for the 4 mths maternity leave..

ilurve

how about those single MTB, which mean not lawfully married?
They are only untitled for 12 weeks ML?

xuezhen09

how about those single MTB, which mean not lawfully married?
They are only untitled for 12 weeks ML?
this is wat i found on MOM's website:

Single (unmarried) employees
A single (unmarried) employee is entitled to 12 weeks of maternity leave if she is covered under the Employment Act. She will be paid by her employer for the first eight weeks of maternity leave if she has fewer than two living children (excluding the newborn), and she has served her employer for at least 90 days before the birth of the child. Beyond the first eight weeks, maternity payment from the employer is voluntary and the employer is not entitled to claim any reimbursement from the government.

ilurve

this is wat i found on MOM's website:

Single (unmarried) employees
A single (unmarried) employee is entitled to 12 weeks of maternity leave if she is covered under the Employment Act. She will be paid by her employer for the first eight weeks of maternity leave if she has fewer than two living children (excluding the newborn), and she has served her employer for at least 90 days before the birth of the child. Beyond the first eight weeks, maternity payment from the employer is voluntary and the employer is not entitled to claim any reimbursement from the government.
why like not fair? married or unmarried also giving birth, right? why only married get 16 weeks whereas unmarried only 12 weeks?

Addee

Cos the additional 4 weeks is Child Development Co-saving Act, not Employment Act. This is to encourage married couples to have children. Employment Act covers the basic.

ilurve

Those unmarried also don't want to be not married ma.
married couple don't want children. those wanted children yet unmarried.

babyIsaac

Anybody know if we can serve resignation notice at e same time as the last 2 months of ml? cant seem to find any clear regulations on this.