Medications from Gynae

Carisella

Hi All,

I'm a first time mommy.

I've asked my mom and my 2 sisters abt their pregnancy and they all didn't take their prenavit or folic acid or the pill that helps to stablise pregnancy.

Reason they gave me was because it made their body temperature rise a lot.

Any other mommies also not taking the meds from the gynae?

Anyone has any opinion on this?

apollo

1st tri i was given folid acid and another type of med (forgot what is it call) but i know not all mummies are given this. folid acid is a supplement while another one is something like hormonse tablet?? cos i had MC b4 thus gynae gave me that. Folic acid is pretty impt during the 1st tri when the fetus is still forming.

2nd tri onwards i was given multivit & fish oil too. I took whatever was given to me. the so-called 'heaty' is actually becos those sup lik multivit contains calcium and iron and some ppl might get constipated easily after taking them. Just drink more water and take more fruits like kiwi, dragonfruits, papaya to prevent constipation. =)

Carisella

another thing o.o I've been having diarrhea instead of the constipation that everyone has warned me .. is this normal?

pixie

I am also a first time mother.
Like many mum-to-be, in my 1st trimester, I was prescribed with Folic Acid. I take it faithfully without questioning the gynae. Into 2nd trimester, and I'm still taking it. My blood count is slightly low, so I am also taking Iron pills which cause a little constipation from time to time.

I recall that I do suffered a bit diarrhoea during 1st trimester but it wasn't severe enough for me to be bothered. If you are still in doubt, you may check with your gynae your condition.

Take care :)

Last edited:

Carisella

I'm not actually questioning he gynae why he gave me those medicines rather I'm actually asking if anyone else had their moms or sisters not eat the meds at all?

For myself I'm taking the meds faithfully and under close supervision by hubby as my health has never been pink, so I know it's suppose to be good for me..

So mainly I just wanna hear why you would or wouldn't eat the gynae's meds :)

pixie

During my mum's time, she was never prescribed folic acid. As for my sister, she did take it.
I have never come across any mum-to-be so far who will not take folic acid since it has no side effect at all.

Gem2505

im one of the stubborn mum-to-be i suppose. =X
i only took folic acid during 1st tri. other than that, whatever gynae gave, i nv take..
i had phobia taking any pills that are of panadol size or even capsules. will vomit it out each time.
well, my mum said as long as we eat as per normal, dont really need to take supplements all that which i do agree with her. well, in the past, when technology wasnt so advance, people still gave birth to healthy babies without all these.
so i dont really see a need to take so much supplements. Well, at the end of the day, it all depends on each individual and making your mind at ease.
so far, i didnt really have extremely healthy lifestyle or eating habits. i still take mcdonalds weekly.. cold drinks, etc. =X
bb still doing fine and i will see her nx month! hehe!
well, there are gynae whom are not pushy or thinks that taking sup will actually improves one's pregnancy. my gynae was ok about it. only thing is he asked me to drink more milk, which i diligently drank each day without fail =)

kchiah

Folic acid is very important 3 mths before preg and during 1st tri, so it is best to take. I never take multi vit or other supplements prescribe by my doc, cos I find that those from doc are not fully natural... So I bought my own from outside. I took calcium magnesium, vit b, c and e, and fish oil too.

clearjade

I took folic acid and multivitamins in first trimester. Then multivitamins and fish oil in second and third trimester. Read that fish oil is especially important in third trimester 'cos baby's bran is developing then so I took it faithfully.

Editing post to add:
Didn't take any other supplements like calcium 'cos I drank a lot of milk and ate a lot of yoghurt, cheese & butter with bread. I cut down on white rice 'cos it gave me gas so ended up eating a lot of bread :)

Last edited:

luvjoanne

i was given folic acid and duphaston by my gynae in 1st trim.. but i suspected duphaston was giving me bad MS plus i didnt had any complications like spotting etc., so i asked my gynae if i can skipped it and he said yes.. so i only took folic acid.

was given calcium, multi vit and fish oil supplement in 2nd trim, but i had constipation since early 2nd trim, and i decided to skip calcium.. my gynae advised me to drink at least 1.5 cup of milk daily to supplement on my calcium and i did that religiously.. still taking fish oil and multi vit now in 3rd trim.
i think multi vit is impt, esp if it contains iron as we are producing alot more blood than before.

dwarfs8

Folic acid is very important 3 mths before preg and during 1st tri, so it is best to take. I never take multi vit or other supplements prescribe by my doc, cos I find that those from doc are not fully natural... So I bought my own from outside. I took calcium magnesium, vit b, c and e, and fish oil too.
hi kchiah, wld like to know how much vit c and magnesium (which form) were you taking back then? and were you taking them throughout pregnancy since trimester 1? Also, what do you mean that those given by your doc are not natural?

kchiah

hi kchiah, wld like to know how much vit c and magnesium (which form) were you taking back then? and were you taking them throughout pregnancy since trimester 1? Also, what do you mean that those given by your doc are not natural?

Hi, I took tablet type, n took these vit n min long b4 I pregnant . Y I said gynae supplement not natural bcos those r cheap stuff, is synthetic, they mix man made material on it that's y lor. So for the sake of me n baby health, I nv take eventhough my gynae do gave me FOC (is in the package actually).

Dilys

Hi, I took tablet type, n took these vit n min long before I pregnant . Y I said gynae supplement not natural bcos those r cheap stuff, is synthetic, they mix man made material on it that's y . So for the sake of me n baby health, I never take eventhough my gynae do gave me free of charge (is in the package actually).
haha funny ! Why you visit a gynae when you dont't trust them with the medicine... they are giving you ?? Doesn't mean that expensive = to natural . Sometimes some gynae want you to buy those tablet seperately not included in package .. Just to con .. mummies who have such mindset !

Last edited:

kchiah

haha funny ! Why you visit a gynae when you dont't trust them with the medicine... they are giving you ?? Doesn't mean that expensive = to natural . Sometimes some gynae want you to buy those tablet seperately not included in package .. Just to con .. mummies who have such mindset !
I go to him bcos I need his service, I also know what supplement r important n what to take during pregnancy , n those that I ate r much more worth lor.

Btw supplements r not medicine.

dwarfs8

Hi, I took tablet type, n took these vit n min long b4 I pregnant . Y I said gynae supplement not natural bcos those r cheap stuff, is synthetic, they mix man made material on it that's y lor. So for the sake of me n baby health, I nv take eventhough my gynae do gave me FOC (is in the package actually).
ic... how much magnesium and vit c did you take per day throughout ur pregnancy then?

kchiah

ic... how much magnesium and vit c did you take per day throughout ur pregnancy then?
Recommended RDI for normal adult for C is 1000mg, but I took 1500mg, n RDI for Calcium Mag is 600mg n I took double of it. That's y I said natural ingredients r important.

U r how many mths preg now? I advise u take B complex too as very gd in reduce water retention, N it contains Folic as well.

I go to him bcos I need his service, I also know what supplement r important n what to take during pregnancy , n those that I ate r much more worth lor.

Btw supplements r not medicine.
Kelly, i like what u say.... Some people r jus plain ignorant.

dwarfs8

Recommended RDI for normal adult for C is 1000mg, but I took 1500mg, n RDI for Calcium Mag is 600mg n I took double of it. That's y I said natural ingredients r important.

U r how many mths preg now? I advise u take B complex too as very gd in reduce water retention, N it contains Folic as well.
hi there, thanks for the info :) I'm not preggy yet, but am TTC. Thot i'll do my homework first :)