Medicine for cold

Shirix

Hi all,

I'm a working mother of a 4.5month old baby. My baby is having a cold and so do i. I told my doc that i'm still bf, so he gave me lighter medicie but i still don't really like the idea of I'm having med while i'm bf.. so after taking the med once, i stop coz i really wanted to bf my baby.. and sad to say my supply is just enough for him. If i throw away my bm now, tomorrow it will not be enough for him.
anyone got any good advice to give??

snowbear

Hi all,

I'm a working mother of a 4.5month old baby. My baby is having a cold and so do i. I told my doc that i'm still bf, so he gave me lighter medicie but i still dont't really like the idea of I'm having med while i'm bf.. so after taking the med once, i stop coz i really wanted to bf my baby.. and sad to say my supply is just enough for him. If i throw away my breast milk now, tomorrow it will not be enough for him.
anyone got any good advice to give??
If it's bfding-safe med, it's perfectly fine to give your bb the milk. What I usually do to make doubly sure it's fine is to eat the med only after bfding. By the next nursing session it shld be fine already. It's impt to get well quickly. Also, your bm now also contains antibodies that's impt for your bb so i wouldn't suggest that you throw the milk away unless you have eaten med not safe for bfding.

Shirix

you mean if i pump before i have my med... the next time i pump, there will be no medicine in my milk??? i thought our body keep producing milk so even if i pump before having the med, the next moment when my body absorb the med, it will still go into our milk, so it will still be in the milk in the next pump...

snowbear

you mean if i pump before i have my med... the next time i pump, there will be no medicine in my milk??? i thought our body keep producing milk so even if i pump before having the med, the next moment when my body absorb the med, it will still go into our milk, so it will still be in the milk in the next pump...
Like I said, if you're taking bf-safe med, there's no need to worry at all. Even if you eat it before bfding it's ok. Dun need to worry too much dearie! :) Now the most impt thing is to get well and nurse your little one back to health!

Better to refer also your doctor, if maybe u can take the medicine because he will feed also to you,so what you eat he can feed ;0