Milk Bags Questions

Callie

Would like to ask mummies who expressed their BM and put it in the milk bag some question.

When you freeze it, you let the milk bag "stand" or "lie down"?

And what brand of milk bags do you use? I'm currently using Lansinoh and find it quite okay. Haven't try the lying position for it yet and wonder if it's okay.

Would like to ask mummies who expressed their breast milk and put it in the milk bag some question.

And what brand of milk bags do you use? I'm currently using Lansinoh and find it quite okay. have not't try the lying position for it yet and wonder if it's okay.

Hi Callie,

I am using Lansinoh bags too, i like the double zips and larger volume it can contain as compared to other bags, i usually fill up to 300ml.
Recentlt read in this forum that some mummies lie the bags flat to freeze so as to store in containers, i used to let it stand and realise it takes up alot of space. Now i let it lie flat to freeze after squeezing out most of the air and it works wonder in space saving. :Dancing_tongue:

Hi, i freeze mine lying down. can store a lot more that way especially if you organise in boxes. I've been using Nanny, a brand from Thailand for both my children and it works fine. I find the material to be very thick. Not problem with leakages - only on occasion when I drop the bag when it's frozen.

I would store max 200ml although it can take a lot more than that. Find it difficult to thaw out the right amount if I store too much in one bag :)

Callie

Thanks dujuanrosa.

So normally we have to squeeze all the air out as much as possible before storing. Normally how long would you keep them?

chiro

i usually thaw them under running water or a big bowl of warm water, them after tat pour in bottle then put bottle in warmer or a mug of boiled water and let it stand for 1 min
Ohyah one more question! Can milkbags be thawed or warmed by bottle warmer? I'm using Avent's one.

cheekyangel

Would like to ask mummies who expressed their breast milk and put it in the milk bag some question.

And what brand of milk bags do you use? I'm currently using Lansinoh and find it quite okay. have not't try the lying position for it yet and wonder if it's okay.
Hi Callie

For me, I wll let the milk bags 'lie down' caused it will be easier to thaw and store. Also, the organisation of the milk bags in the fridge will be neater which will translate to having more storage space in the fridge and freezer.

I am using Nanny Milk Bags, valued for money only $8.50 per box of 25 bags. As my milk production is alot, I always go for their promotion where I will get 1 box free for purchase of 12 boxes. So, my cost is $7.85 per box i.e. 0.31 cents per milk bag. I used to use Lansinoh, but cannot 'tahan' too expensive, worked out their price is 0.36 per milk bag. So far, I am very happy with my Nanny Milk Bags, BPA-free and has got double zipper like Lansinoh. No spillage, no leakage, I would strongly recommend Nanny Milk Bags to any nursing mummies :)

What I like about Nanny Milk Bags. is that their website: www.foodfortotz.com has got a tag under FAQS to answer all questions on how to use their storage bags, very informative and useful.

Callie, if you have any query, you may want to check their website out :)

cheekyangel

Hi Callie

Another link you may want to read is http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/birth/828.html

I hope it helps :)

Last edited:

allycat

I usually lie it flat when freezing it and its easier to organise and takes up less space in the freezer. Have used Blue Egg and am using Joy Angel currently. Both brands are fine. The zip lock of Joy Angel is narrower than Blue Egg but the plastic seems to be thicker.

Ohyah one more question! Can milkbags be thawed or warmed by bottle warmer? I'm using Avent's one.
I thaw the forzen EBM in the fridge and warm the milk in a bowl of warm water.

allycat

Hi, i freeze mine lying down. can store a lot more that way especially if you organise in boxes. I've been using Nanny, a brand from Thailand for both my children and it works fine. I find the material to be very thick. Not problem with leakages - only on occasion when I drop the bag when it's frozen.

I would store max 200ml although it can take a lot more than that. Find it difficult to thaw out the right amount if I store too much in one bag :)
I thought the capacity is only 170ml?

angelblue

Hi allycat

Nanny Milk Bags capacity is 180ml, same as Lansinoh. But sometimes, I do cheated and went up to 200ml with no spillage or leakage problems. Personally, I used both Blue Egg and Lansinoh before but I still prefers Nanny Milk Bags because of the price factor and reliability! I agreed with dujuanrosa. In terms of quality, Nanny and Lansinoh are about the same and are both made in Thailand. But Lansinoh and Blue Egg are very expensive. For regular user like me, my choice is Nanny Milk Bags. And what draws me to Nanny Milk Bag is that is good and the most economical milk bags you can find on the internet. So far, I have never encountered any problems and the services provided by Food For Totz are efficient and prompt. Without hesitation, I would recommend Nanny Milk Bags to current nursing mummies :)

Last edited:
Thanks dujuanrosa.

So normally we have to squeeze all the air out as much as possible before storing. Normally how long would you keep them?
yeah, i would push the air bubbles out and then organise them in big transparent boxes in the freezer by date.

now my two babies are both on EMB in the day so they clear the stock in about 2.5months cycle (e.g. they are now drinking milk pumped in mid-June).

Previously when I was pregnant with no.2 and stopped pumping for a few months, my no. 1 was drinking milk stored about 4-5 months ago and no stomach upset or anything. (Usual guidelines is to keep no more than 3 months in regular freezer and 6months in deep freeze). The milk looked and smelled the same so I guess it was no problem to keep it for that long. A note though is that I keep nothing in the freezer but milk so there's minimal opening and closing of freezer, and temperature is kept pretty constant which is probably why.

that's about where the marking ends but the bag is quite a lot bigger. there was once i ran out of bags at work and had to store 260ml in one bag and no problem too. but won't suggest it be done often since most babies prob won't down 260ml in one feed! ;)

allycat

that's about where the marking ends but the bag is quite a lot bigger. there was once i ran out of bags at work and had to store 260ml in one bag and no problem too. but won't suggest it be done often since most babies prob won't down 260ml in one feed! ;)
Thx. I've just bought some Nanny milk bags n they are bigger than e other brands that I've used. I only store 150 ml of milk per bag as tt is what Quan ids drinking during e day.

hapieger

hi Mummy,

would like to know where can i buy the nanny milkbag? kiddy palace?

i need it urgently as i run out of the glass bottles....

another qn, you guys pump straight to the milkbag or pump into the bottle first then pour into the milk bag? If i thaw 180ml and my gal drink only 80ml, can i keep the remaining 100ml in the fridge for another 24hrs?

appreciate reply from all the experienced mummy...

hi Mummy,

would like to know where can i buy the nanny milkbag? kiddy palace?

i need it urgently as i run out of the glass bottles....

another qn, you guys pump straight to the milkbag or pump into the bottle first then pour into the milk bag? If i thaw 180ml and my gal drink only 80ml, can i keep the remaining 100ml in the fridge for another 24hrs?

appreciate reply from all the experienced mummy...
can get from ebay eBay.com.sg: Nanny Milkbag 25 pcs per box (item 300468689963 end time Sep 23, 2010 15:07:09 SGT)

there's a lady who's posted on this forum too - food for tots - is her website. Her sister used to sell at $8.50 a box with one free box for every dozen purchased.

i just bought some from another mommy over the weekend. can give you her number if you like. just pm me.

All three sellers above do delivery and they are usually quite fast.

i pump into bottle then transfer. it's hard to get accurate volume just by looking at the markings on the bag. also, only medela bags (that i know of) allows you to pump direct because of the special design.

if you thaw the milk by sitting it in the fridge, just make sure everything's consumed within 24hours. but if you put it under running water, then it shouldn't be heading back into the fridge.

hapieger

can get from ebay eBay.com.sg: Nanny Milkbag 25 pcs per box (item 300468689963 end time Sep 23, 2010 15:07:09 SGT)

there's a lady who's posted on this forum too - food for tots - is her website. Her sister used to sell at $8.50 a box with one free box for every dozen purchased.

i just bought some from another mommy over the weekend. can give you her number if you like. just pm me.

All three sellers above do delivery and they are usually quite fast.

i pump into bottle then transfer. it's hard to get accurate volume just by looking at the markings on the bag. also, only medela bags (that i know of) allows you to pump direct because of the special design.

if you thaw the milk by sitting it in the fridge, just make sure everything's consumed within 24hours. but if you put it under running water, then it shouldn't be heading back into the fridge.
Hi

oh no, my gal has been drinking thaw-and-fridge EBM since birth cos my fridge takes about 2days to thaw a bottle of milk... :elvis::elvis:

Hi

oh no, my gal has been drinking thaw-and-fridge EBM since birth cos my fridge takes about 2days to thaw a bottle of milk... :elvis::elvis:
woah! adjust the settings for your fridge? also, the milk does not need to be completely in liquid form - even if it's semi-thawed with some bits still icy, can sit in warm water bath. sometimes i cheat and use hot water (not supposed to because it destroys the antibodies...)

Amulet

i used Pigeon and i freeze it lying down so that it's flat when frozen.. this ensure that it won't take up excess space while storing.. looks neater too..