Milk ducts blocked?

Hi mummies,

My mum has been telling me that towards the end of the pregnancy there might be some "white residue" coming out from the nipples and advised me to clean it or else the milk cannot flow out when i have given birth.

I'm at week 37 now and recently notices my nipple skin is reddish and soft and in between the creases of the nipple there are some white white things which is not alot but can be scrape off using fingernails. I find that i cannot exactly clean it very throughly. How should i clean my nipples and will it really cause the milk ducts to be blocked? I dont think they are colostrum as there's no milk coming out.

lyra

Hi mummies,

My mum has been telling me that towards the end of the pregnancy there might be some "white residue" coming out from the nipples and advised me to clean it or else the milk cannot flow out when i have given birth.

I'm at week 37 now and recently notices my nipple skin is reddish and soft and in between the creases of the nipple there are some white white things which is not alot but can be scrape off using fingernails. I find that i cannot exactly clean it very throughly. How should i clean my nipples and will it really cause the milk ducts to be blocked? I dont think they are colostrum as there's no milk coming out.
Try not to stimulate the nipples as that will cause contraction of the uterus. Hmm I never had this when I was pregnant, and at my 3rd tri. I just clean the nipple naturally as I shower. Excessive cleaning will make nipples even more vulnerable and sensitive later when baby start to suckle.

You saw white residue? Maybe u r already producing milk. Have to squeeze quite hard to get the colostrum. I didn't know im producing milk too when i just gave birth, coz i thought milk dont come in after few days for first time mummies but the nurse squeezed my nipple really hard and i saw milk coming out. But don't try it now eh? Try squeezing ur nipples after childbirth :)

Hi Lyra

Thanks for reply! I asked my anentenal class teacher she also said just wash with clean water. But I don't mind contraction cos I'm 38 weeks plus but baby no signs of labour and 3.2kg. Hope to give birth soon! :)

ast0212

You'll start producing milk while pregnant so its normal for some mummies to leak colostrum before baby is born. Don't worry, holes won't be blocked with the residue..just wash with water as per usual :)

mummy0001

You don't ask your gynea about this? better you ask that's the best important maybe there is cream against this thing.