milk intake for 1 yr old

hi mummies

my boy turning 1 yr soon. Should i still feed him milk as per normal like 4 hours 180ml and 2 meal per day? or i should reduce the milk and give him more solid food? how much milk does a 1 yr old need?

thanks!

Priya Diva

Hi

For my girl who is 16mths, we give her early morn milk like 180ml, then 3 main meals. Then in between tea time we give her milk[some time bottle some time add to cornflacks' biscuits/cereals ]

then night before bed one more feed of milk 180ml-220ml [range deoends on how heavy her dinner at 6pm is. If her meals are not too heavy then sometime my nanny will give her like 90ml-150ml. depends on how much she can drink

cmeilim

my boy is also coming to one year old very soon. currently he has been nursing four to five times a day plus another 2.5 bottles of 120ml EBM, in addition to 3 solids meals (breakfast cereal is combined with 0.5 bottle of 120ml EBM). i am also wondering if i should change this schedule in any way, or try to consolidate his milk feeds to more volume but fewer sessions. Eg increase breakfast EBM to 120ml and and tea-time EBM to 200ml, so that my mum needs to warm up chilled EBM only twice a day.

PinkDiamonds

Right now my girl takes a morning milk intake of around 240ml, which sometimes she only drinks 200ml, at around 8am. We give her a light breakfast like a slice of bread or pancake arnd 10am. Then lunch at 12noon. She takes her nap shortly after and when she wakes up, she gets some biscuits 1-2 hours before dinner. For nighttime milk it depends on how much she has eaten throughout the day, but we usually give her anything between 120ml - 180ml.

esta_837

I thought by 1 yr old, infants sould only need to drink milk 3-4 times a day?? Thought they should be eating mainly solids and milk as complementary? Still need to drink milk but not the main source of nutrients?

apollo

ds is reaching 1yo next week. and i've alrdy started him with 3meals solid food recently. here's his current schedule:

7am - 180ml milk
ard 10am - breakfast
ard 1.30pm - lunch
ard 3pm - 180ml milk
7pm - dinner
9.30pm - 240ml

in btwn will gif him some snack lik biscuits and also water.

esta_837

dear son is reaching 1yo next week. and i've alrdy started him with 3meals solid food recently. here's his current schedule:

7am - 180ml milk
around 10am - breakfast
around 1.30pm - lunch
around 3pm - 180ml milk
7pm - dinner
9.30pm - 240ml

in btwn will give him some snack lik biscuits and also water.

Yup, that's what I mean, sounds about right. Milk is more of a complementary from 1 yr onwards right (but still the main milk drink)? But I guess every baby is different. Do you all serve proper food by then - i.e same food that we eat bu bite sized? Even if they haven't got teeth yet? I'm just wondering, because my daughter is 6 & 1/2 months and still no teeth yet...

apollo

Yup, that's what I mean, sounds about right. Milk is more of a complementary from 1 yr onwards right (but still the main milk drink)? But I guess every baby is different. Do you all serve proper food by then - i.e same food that we eat bu bite sized? Even if they have not't got teeth yet? I'm just wondering, because my daughter is 6 & 1/2 months and still no teeth yet...
actu i think from 1yo ONWARDS, main food source shd be solid food, milk is just to 'supple' them the other nutrients tt are diffi to find from solid food. in fact my pd told me to focus on solid food aft ds turn 6-7 mths old cos he was drinking alot. but i didnt, cos ds somehow prefer milk to solid food and i feel tt below 1yo, milk is more impt..

currently ds is having food portion something lik tt:

brekkie - if is bread or pancake, ard half slice, if cereal will be ard 5 - 7 tablespoon
lunch - usually btwn 6 - 8 tablespn of porridge or ad 5-6 tablespoon mee sua/kuay tiao..
dinner - for dinner mostly will be rice, ard 6-8 tablespn too, cos rice is more fulling so he cant eat alot. if gi porridge, he will eat more)

LoVeS

1yr old main source of food is the solid nt milk anymore but u still can gif at least 2-3 times per day N if ur kid aint taking or refusing solids at times PLS DUN REPLACE it wif milk...even if u wan to replace wif milk i will recommend u to replace wif pediasure as they haf the nutrients tat ur kid need for a meal~

shiyi

180ml every 4 hrs, 2 porridge meals, and lotsa adhoc snacks inbetween. my girl is always hungry!

ast0212

I guess it depends what your baby is ready for. My 1 year old son is taking 3 solid meals plus 5-6 breastfeeds in 24 hours...sometimes more or less depending on whether he wants it. His solids consist of oat porridge & fruit for brekkie, or Vegemite sandwich, rice or pasta with veggies & meat for lunch and dinner. He doesn't snack much at all. If he snacks it's often a breastfeed.

I reckon it's alright if they are still taking many milk feeds as long as they are growing well :)