Mixing bm and fm in same bottle

bigstar

Like to know if we can mix bm and fm in the same bottle to feed baby? My supply of bm is really very little now (less than half feed) and hence nd fm to supplement. so thinking of mixing both tog to feed

NeSSa

u cannot mix it..but what u can do is if not enuff after latching u can bottle feed...but do NOT mix FM and BM together....

NeSSa

As copied from babycenter :
While there's nothing wrong with mixing breast milk and formula in the same container, it's not recommended simply because you don't want to waste a single drop of your precious breast milk. Formula from a bottle that your baby has drunk from must be discarded within an hour of preparation. Breast milk, on the other hand, will "keep," refrigerated, for a number of hours in a bottle that's been fed.

So, for example, if you mix 2 ounces of expressed breast milk with 2 ounces of formula, and your baby only drinks 2 ounces altogether, you'll have to throw the leftovers out, wasting some of the breast milk. To avoid this kind of waste, a good plan is to feed your baby whatever breast milk you've expressed, and then follow that up with couple of ounces of formula if you need it.

Some mothers mix powdered formula with their breast milk in order to increase the calories their baby gets during a feeding. Please do not do this! Not only does it change the composition of the breast milk, but the micronutrients in the formula will become so much more concentrated that it can be very hard on your baby's immature kidneys. Always follow the exact directions on the can of powdered or concentrated formula, and never mix formula with anything but distilled water.

Last edited:

ajcy

My pd did not say why but told us not to mix, can feed bm then not enough feed formula but don't mix.

Wendy1982

It's not okay to mix in bottle but its okay to use in different ways, if you like to know more, ask your pedia. you can get the reason :0

Cupidlovesme

I'm thinking to wean my boy from BM soon. I tried giving him FM but he rejected, so I'm thinking to mixed bm n fm in the same bottle to let him get used to the taste gradually.. But after reading the comments above, looks like it's not a good idea.
Any mummy who actually mix it? Need advice!