Most challenging task.

elaine01

Mummies(& daddies) with 2 kids,

How do you juggle/what is the most challenging task when you have a toddler & a NB comes? Breastfeeding apart.

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
keeping the toddler occupied and happy...

thank goodness for my father who came by every day for the first month just to play with ds1! otherwise things would have been really bad. It gave me time to adjust and cope with #2.

3Rs

hmm, think for me is how to not let the older child feel neglected and loved the 2 kids equally.

Err, is your no.2 on the way liao? :p

xiaodaisy

er... i juz concentrate on e newborn loh cos to mi i tink eldest wan can take care of himself liao loh.. den also ask him to help by doing stuffs he can do de loh.. haha

vion

My 2 dds r 14 mths apart. Thus when younger dd was born, older dd is oni 14 mths. She's very independent n oredi walk well without help. In fact I dun tink infant tk up lots of time cos they sleep a lot. I'm quite lucky tt my older dd help out oso, if not sure die, hehehe, cos younger dd very cranky in her 1st yr.

bluechin

BMSG Moderator
Hi Elaine,

When i was pregnant with Janelle, i would prepare Javier for janelle's arrival. Allow him to talk to Janelle prenatally and also let him listen to Janelle's heartbeat (i had this gadget). And bring him for my visit to gynae so he can see Meimei. Let him feel my tummy and i recalled Janelle actually kick him when he was nursing... hahaha... then he went talking to my tummy, hey mei mei why u kick me ehhh? hahaha

Before Delivery, i bought toys for him and pack it in my hospital bag. When he visits me and Janelle, i would tell him it's janelle's gift for him. This will make him feel.. wow.. i got a mei mei and now she got me a present. :) My DH and javier also slept in with us on the sofa bed at the hospital just so Javier can nurse as well.

Then at home, always tell him i Love him before saying it to Janelle. He would be more sensitive so i just had to show him that even with janelle's arrival, he is still my darling boy... :)

I can tell how much he loves janelle now. This morning he was telling me why he loves his little sister. and i thot it was very sweet. better blog it down..hehe

Last edited:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
Yes you should Bluechin... blog blog blog... hmm... got something new to blog too...

when I was preggy with #2, I talked alot about the bb especially while nursing. I explained that mei mei would need a lot more attention because she wouldn't be able to do anything for herself. Told him she only could drink bm so he needed to share... then listed out everything he loved to eat that mei mei couldn't. He understood and was very helpful and caring when he finally met mei mei.

all three of my kids are developing strong bonds with each other. When I see how they share stuff and care for each other when accidents happen... I really couldn't ask for anything more.

elaine01

hmm, think for me is how to not let the older child feel neglected and loved the 2 kids equally.

Err, is your no.2 on the way liao? :p
Nope. My niece whose 9 mths older than DS had a new little brother. My cousin-in-law was saying she was very possessive the 1st few days. Didnt allow my cousin-in-law to breastfeed. Insist that she feed & gve her full attention to her. So for that particular day, she gave her NB FM.

Want to be more prepared should #2 comes.

For myself, having been experienced once where breastfeeding is concerned, I have a clearer picture of what to expect & what to do. :tlaugh:

elaine01

My 2 dds r 14 mths apart. Thus when younger dd was born, older dd is oni 14 mths. She's very independent n oredi walk well without help. In fact I dun tink infant tk up lots of time cos they sleep a lot. I'm quite lucky tt my older dd help out oso, if not sure die, hehehe, cos younger dd very cranky in her 1st yr.
I guess it's a natral trait for girls to be more "helpful"?

But not for my niece le.........:err:

Many many people who sees my son keep telling me that my son is so obedient & disciplined. MIL said subsequent kids will be worse(telling us we cant do w/o her lor...........LOL).

elaine01

Hi Elaine,

When i was pregnant with Janelle, i would prepare Javier for janelle's arrival. Allow him to talk to Janelle prenatally and also let him listen to Janelle's heartbeat (i had this gadget). And bring him for my visit to gynae so he can see Meimei. Let him feel my tummy and i recalled Janelle actually kick him when he was nursing... hahaha... then he went talking to my tummy, hey mei mei why u kick me ehhh? hahaha

Before Delivery, i bought toys for him and pack it in my hospital bag. When he visits me and Janelle, i would tell him it's janelle's gift for him. This will make him feel.. wow.. i got a mei mei and now she got me a present. :) My DH and javier also slept in with us on the sofa bed at the hospital just so Javier can nurse as well.

Then at home, always tell him i Love him before saying it to Janelle. He would be more sensitive so i just had to show him that even with janelle's arrival, he is still my darling boy... :)

I can tell how much he loves janelle now. This morning he was telling me why he loves his little sister. and i thot it was very sweet. better blog it down..hehe
That's so sweet. I also mentioned the "present from NB" thing to my cousin-in-law.

She did likewise but I guess it's becos of the fact that she away from home for a few nights & hence the attention grabber once she's back from hospital.

I also hope to have a private room if I deliver my #2 so that I can do tandem.:tlaugh:

jedamum

my ds1 is already a preschooler when my ds2 comes along. not much of an issue cos he is very sensible. but at this stage, my only headache is prevent my crawling infant from messing up his elder bro's toys as well as sharing the limited living room floor space between two kids playing different stuff (elder prefer sitting down and do quiet play while younger one crawl here and there and is pretty adventurous and noisy).