Mother in law Allowance

Hi all,

Do you (daughter-in-laws) contributed to your mother in law allowance? How much do you and your hubby give to your in laws? Or is it just your hubby contributed to the mother in law allowance?

Some food for thoughts..

Gem2505

Hi all,

Do you (daughter-in-laws) contributed to your mother in law allowance? How much do you and your hubby give to your in laws? Or is it just your hubby contributed to the mother in law allowance?

Some food for thoughts..
hmm. i nv give a single cent to mil. hubby gave her $300 per month. we are not staying with inlaws. we have our own place.
im giving my mum $600 per month ( monthly allowance was $500. gave her additional $100 for looking aft my bb temp. bb going infant care in sept. so by sept, every month will give my mum $500 )

so each give each parents lor. so he cannot make comments on the amount i give my mum coz its my own $. so i dont interfere with how much he gives his mum.

hmm.. really depends on how much u earn n weigh ur expenses. some people dont give a single cent despite they earn quite a sum. well, as a child, its our duty to provide for our parents. like in future, i would want my kids to do the same to me. sometimes its not the amount of $ u give, but the "heart n effort" of providing to your parents.

my mum dont need my $ at all. but she just take coz its a child duty to give n parents duty to accept. =)

rainbow123

My hubby will give money to his parents .I guess around 800 or more .
For myself , i give $$$ to my own parents ..

No interference in how much we give to our own parents as we have a common understanding is that we should be fillial to parents while they are still on this earth.

angiebaby

used to give in law 200 a month when staying together, after stay our own nvr give any money, only hubby will give her, also nvr give money to my parents as they still giving me money for my baby...:shyxxx:

jessmummy

my hubby and I give us approx $800 a month each because we live with them and everything is taken care of by them.. but my hubby doesnt give his own parents :p

noelsmum

Hubby gives his parents money but I dont know how much and I don't care because it's his money and it's between him and his parents. For my parents, I don't give them money. But I'll bring them out for dinners and when they visit me in Hong Kong, everything is paid by us. Sure, we'll give them money over CNY. But that's about it.

im jus wondering if stay under one roof with the in-laws and also th in-laws help taking care of your child, how much should one give at least?

ihmdweh

im jus wondering if stay under one roof with the in-laws and also th in-laws help taking care of your child, how much should one give at least?
I'm considering to give 800 - 1k. Hubby is currently giving 400 as monthly allowance so the additional 400 or 600 is to take care of baby. This is much cheaper than getting a maid or putting your child in infant care.

Come to think of it, I think my in laws will also Lugi even with the additional $$ cos bills will go up with the new baby n they sure buy clothes n better food for baby as well.

noelsmum

Shouldn't this be discussed before marriage how much to give for 'rent' without kids and with kids? I believe that misunderstandings arises when things were not discussed beforehand and both parties have different expectations. I look at it as, how much are you expected to pay if you're renting a room somewhere? Then add on the utilities. And how much are you expected to pay at the infant care or pay for a helper. Take these into consideration and pay your in laws accordingly. And don't shortchange them. Just because they are family, don't take advantage of them. Or reverse it, if it were your parents, how much will you pay them?

Carlisle

of course actual income is the first thing to consider when you can give an allowance to your mother, but it also depends on the situation on how thoughtful you are towards your mother.

Last edited:

Triquetra

Husband is paying most of the utility and my in laws' debt. $700/month
This excludes the times when they ask for additional.
I dont pay those directly but I give my husband $$$

My mom is taking care of my daughter and she doesnt take a single cent from us.

I'm staying with my inlaws, and my mil will be taking care of my little boy after my maternity leave.. We do not give my inlaws allowance, but my fil has a supplementary card from my hubby..

pipilili

Allowance should be given by different partners.

My hubby will give his parents based on how much he earned and I will give to my parents based on how much I earned. In that way, both of us (hubby and I) wont need to quarrel over why his/my parents rec'd more/less.

:Dancing_wub::Dancing_wub:

If you are a SAHM then it's better to make sure both in laws are receiving same amount. I think it will be more fair. That's just my suggestion.

ast0212

Nothing to both sides. We're really low on finances as I am a SAHM so MIL & FIL can wait till things are better for us financially, they're working anyway, and my parents refuse to accept anything from us.