Mummies, can share info about your toddler?

Hello mummies! My son is 18 mths old now n having a big headache with him. Anyway can anyone share any advice or info with your toddler ard this age? K I've some issues here:

Firstly, i have problem squeezing in breakfast for him coz he wakes at 8-9am.I only feed him 2 full meals per day coz he refuses to eat cereal with milk. Even if without milk he takes only 5-6 pcs of cereals.tried bread n other stuff but he refuse. So I went to buy pediasure n feed him once in the morning. His appetite did increase a little. For snack, I made pancakes n fruits for him he reject too. Lunch n dinner muz distract him w phone or toys else he refuse to open mouth. When I'm desperate to get some food into his mouth I give in to him.

Secondly, he's not talking yet. Not even distinctive papa or mama. However recently he tried to repeat some of the words I'm teaching him now.wanna send him to cc or 2hrs play group but I can't send him to n fro coz I've another5 mth old baby at home. I'm a Sahm. Husband needs to wrk n can't send him at weird timings too. Reason of sending him to PG is coz I dun want him to do nothing ard the house climbing up n down coz I need to handle his little brother too. However after he was hospitalized for a week for Kawasaki
disease, he became very clingy. His heart was a little affected so I will be worried if he's in cc too.

And lastly, he refuses to let me brush his teeth too. He has 12 teeth aldy. Think 13-14th one growing out soon. What should I do ?

Any mummies have any suggestions?

DodoTan

Wow, it looks like you have a lot on your hands. Sorry to hear that your son is not well.

Tooth brushing
Maybe try those training tooth brush with silicon bristles and let him 'brush' or 'chew' on it when you bath him. Use those toothpaste that he can swallow. For now, get him interested in brushing first.
Or you could try the tooth wipes if he really won't let you brush. (I think it's 'Spiffles' or something like that. Watsons and Gaurdian have. Kiddy palace have too.)

Feeding
Kids all go through a phase where they won't eat this or that. My girl went thru a phase where she won't drink milk. My boy still going thru his phase of not eating meat. The idea is to keep trying and hope the phase passes soon. Try to get a pretty plate and separate the diff. food items (try abt 3-4 types) for a meal. (Eg: a small lump of bread, a small portion of fruit, a small portion of cheese.) Then see what he eats/tries. Sometimes, it's colour, sometimes it's texture. Feeding kids ain't easy. And just cos he will only eat cheese this wk, don't get excited or worried. He might decide next wk that he hates cheese now and will only eat apples.
I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much. At the end of the day, if he's hungry, he'll ask for food. (Not worrying is easier said than done. :p I still struggle with this everyday.)

DodoTan

Playgroup
He is still young and not talking much yet. Unless the playgroup has very small class size, I really think it's not worth it for you or your child. He prob won't learn very much. Better to wait till he can talk a bit more, perhaps around 2 years old, then send him. Meanwhile, you could try to arrange playdates for him with other kids, or send him to those parent-accompained classes like MyGym, so he can learn to interact with other kids.

No offence to anyone, but I'm not a fan of childcare for kids this young. Not because they are bad or anything, but simply because there are too many kids in 1 class and not enough adults to look after them. They are at that age where they are active and curious and is likely to try anything and everything they can think of. A very tough age to look after. If we as parents, find it hard to handle 2 of them, imagine a (granted trained) teacher handling 5-10. How to keep an eye on everyone?

Dodotan, thanks alot for your advice! Actually I do agree that at 18 mths he may be too young to be in cc. Unless like some mummies who r wrking with no one to help take care of kids then no choice but to place in cc. Can't imagine my #2 starting solid food in couple of weeks' time n gotta handle one fussy eater n one new eater! Oh no...

As for the talking part, I tell myself to stop comparing him with other kids . Hopefully I can get thru this =)

DodoTan

Be strong! You can do it. :) I was in your shoes not very long ago. But my kids are 18mths apart and my girl just turned 2. I can't even compare the 2 of them. My boy 18mth then call 'mummy', my girl 18mth said 'This is soup. I drink soup!' See the difference? hahaha....

Julin

Hi Pinkymummy,

It is not easy to handle 2 kids at home.. I have good experience in sending kids to child care..
I am a working mother and got no family support in carrying for my kids..
Currently, I have a 28mths old gal and 5mths old boy..both goes thru infant care.. My experience with my gal when she was 18mths was that she speaks up very fast and can interact with me when 2yrs old.. I strongly believe that kids need to expose to interaction at young age..I can understand the risks of falling sick.. My gal does fall sick at times but she grows stronger each time.. Going CC at young age also prevent them from getting cranky in school each day. My gal is very independent now and can help me to care for my boy.. As my boy, he went infant care for 2mths..he loves it very much and reaches his milestones very early..he can speak baby language with us or teachers..roll over and even trying to crawl now..
In CC or infant care, the teachers sure to have some tools or skills to equip our kids to learn.. And they learn to have their own time without parents.. They also learn better with peer presence..

As for eating,my gal doesnt like meat.. So I will encourage her to cook the meal with me and we eat together... She usually will eat whatever she prepare for herself.. She treats it like a game.. Fun and no stress!!
I believe that kids love fun and imitate adults..if we can join them, they will follow..

I hope I can give you another view of kids going Childcare at early age..
Do take great care of yourself so that you can care better for your kids..

I guess on the childcare part it really depends on the centre. My 33mths old boy is with this centre since 2mths old. He achieve all his milestones averagE 1-2mths earlier. Spoke his first word at 6mths old n talks like 3-4 years old when he was 2. now he is able to reason n debates with us.. Then again, every child is unique n different. The best is, dont le yrself drown into comparison. Keep telling yrself that yr child is special, think of his strong points, n let nature takes its course. Enjoy what he is now n cherish this moment. One day he will grow up n all the baby nonsense will past. U'll miss those days.

On the eating part, dont force. If he doesnt like one particular food use another that has same nutrients as subsitute. I think the having the child cook with u idea is great. The point is to make it fun. Let him watch u eat it too.
My son doesnt take meat, n i realise its only at hm after checking with his teachers, he has no issues with the meats in sch. Playing method doesnt work for him. N i have to reason with him for him to eat. Tell him have to eat meat to grow big n strong then he can do blablablabla. Sometimes he c things n wanna do but not suitable for his age or im not ready for him yet, i'll tell him that has to wait til he grows a lil bigger n stronger. Like taking a plane. Playing go kart etc. So i'll remind him he wants to do those things. Have to eat meat eat this eat that.

There r so many ways to help the child overcome his obstacles, the thing is understanding the reason n finding the right method that works.
Jiayou mummy!

Thank u Mummies for sharing ! He's been very keen in learning to talk recently n up till now he knows 15-20 single words. Although its still slow for his age but I'm happy enough. Pronunciation is unclear but hopefully he improves hehe thanks for all the encouragement!