My 2yr 4mths old daughter refused to drink milk .............. HELP !

Dear Mummies ,

I have no idea what is wrong with my daughter . She has been refusing to drink her milk since she turned 2 yrs old. during her 2 yr assessment @ e PD we did informed him regarding this matter but he doesn't really provide us with an explanation nor a probable solution to solve this prob. he just kept telling us her milk intake each day must @ least be 500ml. OMG i think my daughter's milk intake per day is not even half. she is eating well on her solids even though @ times she may not finish her porridge or rice. her daily feeding schedule is as follows :

9am - B/Fast of milk 120/ 160ml + slice of bread or chwee kueh or small bread etc.

1pm- Lunch of porridge

5.30 pm- after nap- 60ml milk intake

8 pm- dinner of rice w soup fish etc

10.30pm - 60ml

she has been drinking friso since birth n now on friso 3. my caregiver n i have been struggling with these 3 milk feeds eveyday.

we either have to coax her to finish it or if nt only 3/4 will be consumed. sometimes she will cry upon seeing the milk bott n refused to drink

we are really tired trying to repeat the same thing everyday .

we have tried changing her teat to the quick flow n for thick liquid teat so e milk flow is faster ( using event both ) n also tired chaining milk powder brand but no use ........

Pls share / advise what went wrong ............millions thks

ast0212

Hello, my son doesn't drink much milk either...maybe 200ml a day, or less than that I'm not sure as we've never measured it... Some days he can drink a lot and other days we end up finishing it for him. For us milk isn't important. If your daughter is eating a balanced and healthy diet, milk is not that important :) Try to get her to eat more dairy if she isn't already. Foods like yoghurt and cheese are good sources of calcium. Otherwise you can add dairy to meals, such as milk and cereal for breakfast, creamy cheesy pasta, fruit smoothies with milk or plain yoghurt, avocado smoothie (my son's favourite!) If you can hide it, they wouldn't know :)

Perhaps you can try upgrading her from a bottle to cup? It can be a sippy cup, straw cup or open cup, depending which one your daughter likes best. Every child is different so sometimes it takes some time to find what they like. Maybe at 28 months she'd like those cups with cartoon characters. My son likes open cups since he was 6 months so I ditched bottles and sippy cups. When he was about 16 months he started to like straws and at 21 months he got into sippy cups. It's always changing :p

Another thing you could try is switching her to plain cow's milk? Toddlers don't need formula after 12 months....it's just a marketing scam by formula companies to get parents to keep their kids on formula...but if they are eating well, cow's milk is fine :)

Hope this helps

Hi, my 2yr old girl also does not drink as much milk as she should. I give her pediasure n she wil take it if she wants it. She still breastfeed At nite. In the day, i give her yoghurt n plain cow's milk too. I i give her cheese occassionally. I think if u cannot force them, then juz find other alternatives :)

DodoTan

My girl from birth don't like milk. Breastmilk, reg formula (various brands), hypoallergic formula, soy formula, all tried with similar results. Tried almost all the milk bottles on the market (after latching on did not result in her drinking enough) tried all the different types of cups and straws. Some will work for a while but then later reject again. Tell doctor also no use, they only say must keep trying.
Ironically, after she started on solids, it became a little bit better. But ever now and then she will go on a milk strike again.

DodoTan

That time I breastfeed her until I lost it. She would drink for 5 min then don't want already. (5 min drink what??) Then 10 min later hungry and want to drink again. But again drink for 5-10 min only. I end up latched on and off almost 24/7. Nearly went crazy.

DodoTan

And when my girl say she don't want she really means it. If I angry and tell her she must drink some milk, she will purposely make herself throw up.