My baby refuse to drink Milk for 12 hours

JoyBliss

Hi, my son is 7plus month now. Usually, he feed every 3 hour on ISOMIL (soy milk). But 2 weeks ago, he stop feeding after coming home from my nanny. I brought him to PD and it seems that the nanny has overfed him. I have conveyed the doc's right advice (240ml=4-5hr, porridge=3-4hour) and she has reduced the feed. And my son is slimming now fast. He's okie for the last few days, start drinking 1-2 feed at night...

(my nanny: 240ml=last 3hour, porridge=last 1hour!!!!!! extra feed=180ml just 1 hour after his porridge!!!!*faint*)

However, yesterday, he is starting to display the discomfy and fussiness and refusing the night feed again.... (6pm-7.30am next day: No Milk Intake, only water...) I am very headache... what went wrong?? :embarrassed:

autumn82

Hi, my son is 7plus month now. Usually, he feed every 3 hour on ISOMIL (soy milk). But 2 weeks ago, he stop feeding after coming home from my nanny. I brought him to pediatrician and it seems that the nanny has overfed him. I have conveyed the doc's right advice (240ml=4-5hr, porridge=3-4hour) and she has reduced the feed. And my son is slimming now fast. He's okie for the last few days, start drinking 1-2 feed at night...

(my nanny: 240ml=last 3hour, porridge=last 1hour!!!!!! extra feed=180ml just 1 hour after his porridge!!!!*faint*)

However, yesterday, he is starting to display the discomfy and fussiness and refusing the night feed again.... (6pm-7.30am next day: No Milk Intake, only water...) I am very headache... what went wrong?? :embarrassed:
Actually, 7mths old can start weaning off nite feeds rite? Why not take this opportunity to start letting him sleep thru the nite w/o milk feeds? I'm feeding Iggy exactly how your nanny is feeding your son, 240ml then 2.5hrs later porridge, 1.5hr later 180ml milk. :001_302:

JoyBliss

Actually, 7mths old can start weaning off nite feeds rite? Why not take this opportunity to start letting him sleep thru the nite w/o milk feeds? I'm feeding Iggy exactly how your nanny is feeding your son, 240ml then 2.5hrs later porridge, 1.5hr later 180ml milk. :001_302:
Yes, initially i thought so too. But subsequently, he has stomach wind/bloatedness, can't sleep, whining for the last week. Hence, no choice, better bring him to pediatrician .

According to the doc, within 12 hours no food/milk intake is not very good as cause stomach wind/bloatedness (true in my son case)... I think if he take his last feed at 12pm or even 9pm, then sleep the whole night through, i think it is ok... however, usu. his last feed at 6pm-7pm..

I remember my son come home one say making the Errr... errr.. sound, later realise is because he is so full with the stomach bulging out round and hard until his rib cage there... sigh...

How about Iggy, she has great appetite! When is her last feed at night?

Last edited:

autumn82

Yes, initially i thought so too. But subsequently, he has stomach wind/bloatedness, can't sleep, whining for the last week. Hence, no choice, better bring him to pediatrician .

According to the doc, within 12 hours no food/milk intake is not very good as cause stomach wind/bloatedness (true in my son case)... I think if he take his last feed at 12pm or even 9pm, then sleep the whole night through, i think it is ok... however, usu. his last feed at 6pm-7pm..

I remember my son come home one say making the Errr... errr.. sound, later realise is because he is so full with the stomach bulging out round and hard until his rib cage there... sigh...

How about Iggy, she has great appetite! When is her last feed at night?
:err::err::err: Serious? PD didn't mentioned that to me b4.. But then maybe every baby is different. :) Iggy's been sleeping from 6.30pm-6.30am since NB, then I changed his timing to 7pm when he was about 8-9mths old to 7pm-7am. Since 3mths+ old, his last feed was 6.30pm/7pm. So far not much of a bloatedness problem.. *touch wood* :tlaugh:

uddermummy

If weight gain and discomfort aren't issues, then you could prob do away with night feeds.

My 5 mth old girl puts on weight quite slowly, and has a small stomach, so i still make it a point to feed her every 3 hours so that she won't spit out/puke out her feed. I'm keeping her night feeds so that hopefully she'll put on more! :p

But really siong man!

jellybnzw

Actually I never did really do away from night feeds. I let my baby girl progress herself. She just turned 6mths and she didn't start to sleep through the night till around 5.5mths. So I just allowed her to wake up and drink if she needed to. And see if is she just had a bad dream and woke up or is it because she is hungry. Basically, just let your baby progress the way they do. If they still need night feeds so be it. As long as they are not unhappy or grouchy that is the most important. They will know how to compensate with more naps in the day

My baby girl is really small for her size and we used to feed her every 3hours so that she won't regurgitate out her milk after. And we slowly increase once every month or so depending on whether does she still display signs of being hungry still.

But every baby is different that is what my doc told me. He is not a pd but he was my doc since I was 40days old and I was a problematic baby cos I was a preemie. and he told me not to worry, unless the baby is crying most of the time, having a fever or displays signs of discomfort then you bring back to see doc.

Probably your baby is just suddenly not used to another change in routine. Just observe him for another while. As long as he is not crying or has any serious change in bowel movement he should be just being fussy and let him get over it. My doc told me that babies are very smart.