my son says he wants to quit school

mader

I have a 5 yrs old son, he finished nursery last year without problem. the problem started after this sept school holidays, he doesnt want to go to school, he even "fears" and "cries" everytime we mention any thing about school. I talked to him nicely, and asked what the problem is...he said 1. classmate slap him and 2. they are forced to eat even if they dont want the food or is not hungry. He said he wants to move in the afternoon class. I talked to the teacher and said she will talk to the class as a whole (which I believe she did) but even so, my boy still doesnt want to go inside the classroom. So I talked to the principal to ask if its possible to move him to the afternoon class. Yesterday (Monday) he went to the afternoon class and met his old nursery friends, we thought it should be ok....but today, again he doesnt want to go to school and keeps on crying! I dont know what to do anymore! Please help....

EnFlor

Read your entry with interest and wonder if my humble suggestions may help :

1) Can you request to sit in temporarily when he has his lessons until he settles down in class ?

2) Talk to the parent of the kid who slapped your son. Not to confront the matter in hostility but arrange for your son and the so-called bully to have some playtime together. This gives your son and the other kid a chance to bond, in a way your child actually confronts his 'fear' and slowly the fear diminishes, hopefully.

3) Discuss with his teacher about his eating habits. If it is possible for you to bring some of his fav food/utensils from home to be used in school, in order to entice him. And for the issue on food, ask the teacher if it is possible to introduce the food that your son dislikes slowly. Who knows in time to come, he'll learn to enjoy the food from school.

The important thing is, you shouldn't get weakened down by your kid's cries and tantrums. Good luck!

priscilla

When we were in Singapore, my boy has a terrible experience too and got so frightening of going to school as he was hit by a old lady when he went to press the button for the traffic light and her grandson made noise. I think the good part was I witnessed the whole incident and confronted the old lady who denied that she hit my son. As my boy is the very mild and friendly type, he cried non-stop for a long time and his arm was really red.

I was really upset then since he did nothing wrong and just press the button of the traffic light once and after the incident, he was so wary about going back from school if we were taking public transport and would make sure we do not see the terrible old lady. I think it is important to let the school knows which I did even through the grandson of the old lady was from another kindergarten next door to my boy's kindergarten. The teachers in his kindergarten was really nice to comfort and watch out for him during the week that followed.

Now being away from Singapore, he is looking forward to kindergarten next year in a Primary School near our place.

I think the important thing is to find out what is bothering him and to reassure him. Like my case, I stood out for him and demand the old lady apologise to him and warn her that if it happens again, I will file a report of child abuse to the police regarding her as she has no right to discipline my boy who did not do anything wrong by pressing the traffic light only once.

Last edited:

shopaholic

If you ask me, I would request to sit in the class (or observe from outside) to seek confirmation on the child's problems. Is there really a bully in class? Does he really hate the food? Sometimes, it may be they are ok in class but once back home, they cry for parent's attention by saying they dont want to go school. Observing the situation by yourself is best, and thereafter, speak to the teachers to work out the best arrangement for your child.

gzifa

The school may wish to protect the identity of the child who may have hit your child. The teacher however should have spoken to the child, your child, and the child's parents.

She/he has to investigate the reason behind to the child hitting yours. Even if your child switches classrooms, it is best the teacher (working together with you and the other child's parent/s) finds out the causes/reasons which lead to such behaviours.

Your child may also be refusing to eat due to his unhappiness/dis-comfort after this incident, rather than his/her dislike or lack of appetite. (this is of course provided he/she has been eating well all these while)

Hope you manage to solve the issue!

LWP6998

Alpha Male
I have a 5 yrs old son, he finished nursery last year without problem. the problem started after this sept school holidays, he doesnt want to go to school, he even "fears" and "cries" everytime we mention any thing about school. I talked to him nicely, and asked what the problem is...he said 1. classmate slap him and 2. they are forced to eat even if they dont want the food or is not hungry. He said he wants to move in the afternoon class. I talked to the teacher and said she will talk to the class as a whole (which I believe she did) but even so, my boy still doesnt want to go inside the classroom. So I talked to the principal to ask if its possible to move him to the afternoon class. Yesterday (Monday) he went to the afternoon class and met his old nursery friends, we thought it should be ok....but today, again he doesnt want to go to school and keeps on crying! I dont know what to do anymore! Please help....
Hi,

when you say that the 5yr old slap him, could it be out of wild play time they had? i find that they might both be playing instead of slapping each.. perhaps like to find out more before concluding it...

for the forcing them to eat, ........... I find that it's more of ensuring that they have the energy instead of not eating and just leave them to be...

imagine 15 more yrs down the road, he will be serving ns... what will you do if he says he does not want to do his NS? maybe is time for him to learn...

Ting

mader, for the "slapping" case, i think might be a misunderstanding.
u shld talk to the teacher abt it, n inform the other kid's parents n talk it out.
if their son is really gg arnd slapping ppl, they shld discipline him right now!
n for the food part, in pin's CC, they will also train the kids to eat ALL kinds of food, but they dont force.
perhaps u ask your son what kinda food he dun like n introduce to him slowly.
work with the teachers to help your son cope better in the sch. JMHO. :)