Natural Tear or Episiotomy during delivery.

Hi,

This is probably a question for ladies who have already had kids.

I had a natural tear under when my boy (he was only 2.88kg) was delivered, resulted in stitches and also took a while to heal cos I got infection. Dont even know what degree tear that was as gynae didnt elaborate.

Just wondering how many of you either had a natural tear or have to have an episiotomy (meaning surgical cut by gynae). Or how many of you did not even have a tear/cut? (lucky you!)

Is it better to have a natural tear or episiotomy? Did it take a long time for you to heal?

Thanks.

bingbing

hi hi,

i epxerience that and as far i know , the reason is due to while we push out the bb, we might have lifted up our buttock unconsiciously. we have to push in a while which we press down our buttock and not lift up. It will make us tear. another reasons is due to big size bb.

I had natural tear for my 1st child (3kg). Took quite some time to heal. I remembered that i feared going to the toilet to pee coz it was painful.

For my 2nd and 3rd child, I had episiotomy. Wound healed very fast in under a week. And I could pee without fear :)

Your baby and my baby werent very big but we got tears. I hope I wont get it this time. Mine took a while to heal too... I didnt know cut by dr healed so fast.

i read somewhere in a magazine that natural tears can be jagged thus longer healing time. Cut by doc is clean and neat so healing time is faster.

verieying

Hi mummy, i got epi (cut) as gynae said it is much safer than having a tear half way thru' delivery which is more painful and take longer to heal like mummies shared... so... u might wanna consider.. have a talk w ur gynae and see what he sayd! ;)

zaclin29

My Gynae said I had 2nd degree natural tear. Had 7 stitches & healed within 2 wks.
Was sore for abt 1+wk.

At least your gynae told you what degree...I was blur blur and she only said i have a natural tear...good that you healed in 2 weeks...i took a while and kena infection but apply fungal cream for a while. I asked this new gynae yesterday he says healing for natural tear or cut is about the same...and first pregnancy high chance tear occurs...hope I wont get this round...been doing pelvic floor exercise though not super religiously hope it will help. :)

For mine, the first gynae didnt tell me what degree either. First one was delivered by midwife coz gynae cldnt n b there in time. In fact, when i returned for my post natal appt, gynae told me it didnt heal tht well. I can still remember the pain. I think mine took more than 2wks to heal.

Mummy2TwoSoon- hope u hv smooth delivery with no tears :)

Hi twinnie, i didnt take epi or any pain reliever. So to ans ur qn, epi is not painful at all. In fact, i didnt even realise the gynae has done epi coz the pain of labour is much more painful. Hope it doesnt scare u :)

I don't know if it will be painful cos I didn't feel anything being on epi. But I doubt I can take labour pains wo epi so hooray for it.

Mreow Mreow

Really?
So an episiotomy heals faster?

Sigh.
I was all for natural tear cuz I read that if u year naturally, u only tear where u need to.
Whereas an episiotomy cuts through the entire muscle, cutting more than necessary... :(

Read somewhere that some Docs do a routine episiotomy for first time mummies.
Don't wish that to happen!!

Maybe Perineal massage will help?

Actually my dr told me there's no difference in healing rate. He says slower gentler pushes can help prevent any tear. Think I push too hard with my boy. This time I will try his method m see if it works.

diza

I think I had both! I asked my gynae how many stitches I have. Gynae told me she did episiotomy but I had a natural tear when baby was out. Baby's head was too big and gynae also said baby is bigger than average for my size.