need advise for fully breast feeding to bottle formula feeding

malibu

Hello, i'm new here and my baby girl is 14 weeks old.
For the first two month, when she was still hungry after breast feeding, she accept bottle formula.
But for pass whole month she's on fully breast feeding and reject bottle feeding, both express out breast milk and formula.
As my maternity leave is ending soon, i'm totally at lost , do not know what to do to let her accept bottle.
Any mummy facing the same problem?​

Vivic

My baby also having the same prob like you. I gave him bottle just one week before I return to work. because of unsuccessful for the first week, I extended my leave. I tried to change from Avent teat to Nuk teat, silicon to rubber but still the same. My hubby and mother in law also tried to distract him, I hide myself during feeding time, gave him expressed breast milk...still no improvement.
Lucky we went to NTUC and saw the first years brand bottle, the teat design like mum's breast. At first my hubby hesitate to buy, lucky I make the right decision to try. It really work.
I just extended for two weeks.

Vivic

That time he just keeps crying, rather go to sleep also don't want to drink bottle. He also not gaining weight much that time.

malibu

Thank you Vivic, i'll search NTUC tomorrow for it and will look for you if i encounter any problem on the way :)

malibu

My baby also having the same prob like you. I gave him bottle just one week before I return to work. because of unsuccessful for the first week, I extended my leave. I tried to change from Avent teat to Nuk teat, silicon to rubber but still the same. My hubby and mother in law also tried to distract him, I hide myself during feeding time, gave him expressed breast milk...still no improvement.
Lucky we went to NTUC and saw the first years brand bottle, the teat design like mum's breast. At first my hubby hesitate to buy, lucky I make the right decision to try. It really work.
I just extended for two weeks.
Hi Vivic, which NTUC did you get the first years brand bottle, don't see any of it at Yishun area.
Did you just bottle feed your baby through out the whole day or got let your baby latch on?

Vivic

Hi Vivic, which NTUC did you get the first years brand bottle, don't see any of it at Yishun area.
Did you just bottle feed your baby through out the whole day or got let your baby latch on?
Hi Malibu, I bought from AMK fairprice Xtra at AMK hub. Day time I use bottle and night time let my baby latch on. Because I want my baby to get use to it. Baby is smart, everyday after I returned from work, he will wait for me to feed him, do not want to drink bottle.

malibu

How's your baby now? Still bottle refusal? When will you return to work?
Thank you Vivic, will try to get it these few day when it's not rainning.
On mon, 3rd and 4th feeding i express out and try bottle feed, she will just chew on the teat. Latch her on as she keep crying for last feed.
Tue, 2nd to 5th bottle feed, still the same, but i try to press the teat head sideway n she chew and drank 10ml.
Today, still the same, try let her latch on and pull out half way and change to bottle, still fail:(

Shiawase

hi mummies, my baby is 10 weeks old... i have been giving my baby ebm since day one as he was born premature and i had nipple issues but recently i have been trying to learn how to latch him on... i find that he is used to bottle feeding and is unable to suck well on the breast... it seemed to me that he cant really extract milk well from the breast and after latching on, i end up having to give him some more milk in bottle to satisfy him... i am going back to work in another month or so... issit still worth the effort to continue working on latch on? will appreciate any advices...

lyra

Hi! 10 weeks old is pretty young and its possible to learn to relactate. I think its worth it to try to latch on because you can latch him on when you return from work and enjoy the closeness, and directing feeding baby just feels different from pumping and feeding. At night, you can just nurse baby to sleep when he wakes up for night feeds. You don't need to warm milk which takes time and is tiring. Its good that you have been giving baby the bottle since the day he was born because I stopped when mine was about 5 or 6 weeks and he doesn't want bottle anymore now. The best scenario is of course baby drinking from bottle in the day and then you breastfeed him when you return and during night feeds. Hope you can achieve that! Kelly mom has an article on relactation. Don't wait till too late to do relactation because my friend didn't have patience to teach baby to suck from her breasts again and her baby don't want to do that anymore at 4+ months. Pump couldn't empty her breasts as efficiently as baby.

hi mummies, my baby is 10 weeks old... i have been giving my baby ebm since day one as he was born premature and i had nipple issues but recently i have been trying to learn how to latch him on... i find that he is used to bottle feeding and is unable to suck well on the breast... it seemed to me that he cant really extract milk well from the breast and after latching on, i end up having to give him some more milk in bottle to satisfy him... i am going back to work in another month or so... issit still worth the effort to continue working on latch on? will appreciate any advices...

zc31

It's easier to drink from bottle compared to nipple. Baby if day 1 latch on properly, will only have good milk flow after 5mins and milk flow comes faster as the baby latches on more.

Milk is like stored in a reservoir and when baby starts stimulating it, take awhile to reach the nipple. Latching on is tiring for both mum and baby.Bottle they just suckle alitlte and milk comes.

My experience shows that with BF, the intervals are shorter but when i bottle feed, baby can sleep about 6hours through.

Latching is vital not only for the milk but to maintain flow. Once baby stop latching, stimulation drops, so does milk flow.

Vivic

On mon, 3rd and 4th feeding i express out and try bottle feed, she will just chew on the teat. Latch her on as she keep crying for last feed.
Tue, 2nd to 5th bottle feed, still the same, but i try to press the teat head sideway n she chew and drank 10ml.
Today, still the same, try let her latch on and pull out half way and change to bottle, still fail:(
Maybe you can ask your hubby or mother in-law to feed him. Baby is smart, do not want to drink bottle when he see mum is around. Maybe you try to hide or distract him? Jia you x3

Shiawase

Hi! 10 weeks old is pretty young and its possible to learn to relactate. I think its worth it to try to latch on because you can latch him on when you return from work and enjoy the closeness, and directing feeding baby just feels different from pumping and feeding. At night, you can just nurse baby to sleep when he wakes up for night feeds. You don't need to warm milk which takes time and is tiring. Its good that you have been giving baby the bottle since the day he was born because I stopped when mine was about 5 or 6 weeks and he doesn't want bottle anymore now. The best scenario is of course baby drinking from bottle in the day and then you breastfeed him when you return and during night feeds. Hope you can achieve that! Kelly mom has an article on relactation. Don't wait till too late to do relactation because my friend didn't have patience to teach baby to suck from her breasts again and her baby don't want to do that anymore at 4+ months. Pump couldn't empty her breasts as efficiently as baby.
thanks for yr advice! i will try my best to latch him... hopefully he can latch well and i can feed directly at nite.. its definitely more time saving for me... haha

dinida

hi malibu,

are u still having the same problem? im hving the same problem with my baby now...im gng to work next week and my baby still refusing bottle this week :(

malibu

hi malibu,

are u still having the same problem? im hving the same problem with my baby now...im gng to work next week and my baby still refusing bottle this week :(
Hi Dinida, she still refuse bottle, just told my boss can't go back to work and don't know how long will she accept sipping cup which i will try in 3 week times when she turn 5month old.
How old is your baby now and is your baby fully latching on since birth?

dinida

hi malibu, my baby is now close to 4 months and he is fully latched on. I was told NUK teats are good for them...so i gonna give it a try later. But what im worried is what if its not because of the teats that the baby dun like..what if its the frozen expressed milk that he doesnt like instead...haiz

malibu

hi malibu, my baby is now close to 4 months and he is fully latched on. I was told NUK teats are good for them...so i gonna give it a try later. But what im worried is what if its not because of the teats that the baby dun like..what if its the frozen expressed milk that he doesnt like instead...haiz
I've try NUK but still the same she will just bite or chew on it and i don't really like the rubber smell from the teat.
Try express out and give him in bottle as the breast milk still warm and fresh, see does it help or not.

Alisa

u wan to try Tommee bottle? its closest to breast feeling as the teat is soft. my son can feed on bottle in Infant care and latch on at night.

dinida

hi malibu, i tried expressing and give him fresh..he still reject. then we tried giving him formula milk...still reject. so we finally conclude dat he just dun like bottle teats. i got the NUK premium latex one (so ex btw)...and he still refuse haizzz. But we found out dat we can feed him via syringe ..so dat ease my anxiety abit knowing dat he can still be fed in some way :)

hi alisa, we tried the NUK one..he doesnt one. I heard abt tommy too...hmmmz but i tink we gng to make him accustomed to NUK hahaha. hopefully by end of this week he will get used to the bottle :)

will update again!

malibu

hi malibu, i tried expressing and give him fresh..he still reject. then we tried giving him formula milk...still reject. so we finally conclude dat he just dun like bottle teats. i got the NUK premium latex one (so ex btw)...and he still refuse haizzz. But we found out dat we can feed him via syringe ..so dat ease my anxiety abit knowing dat he can still be fed in some way :)

hi alisa, we tried the NUK one..he doesnt one. I heard abt tommy too...hmmmz but i tink we gng to make him accustomed to NUK hahaha. hopefully by end of this week he will get used to the bottle :)

will update again!
Hi Dinida, thats good news :)
If he accept NUK and if you don't mind i can pass you the one i had, NUK small bottle use only 3 time and a brand new small premium latex still in the packing, the other teat use only 1 time.