need help on pumping milk!

huiyin87

hi mummies, i have been pumping milk for my baby for 3 weeks.
my nipples are swollen and red, with some traces of blood strips on it. saw some skin peeling off also. and of course, it causes me so much pain while pumping. i am tinking to go back to my gynae for painkillers.
is this normal?

i m pumping up to 1hr each time, alternating between both sides on and off. but now they r swollen, i only pump 30mins 2-3times a day.

would like to check with u, how often do u pump and for how long? how much milk can u pump each time?

I pump every 2-4 hrs, 15min (Max 20min). Pump 6-9times daily. My supply not alot. 70-80ml for both side with 3 hr difference. Bb 7 weeks old. I used to pump v long as I was using single pump. But was told by other mummies I pump too long. If breast not empty I will do some hand express after pumping to empty more.

venussnow

My baby is 8 weeks old now. I pump every 3-4h in the day and 5h interval at night for 10min using dual pump. I get approximately 120-150ml each time and can go up to 200ml with a 5h interval. On average, I get up ~750ml of milk a day

huiyin87

wow, both of u got so much milk. i only get 40-60ml after 30mins pumping.
do u all get sore nipples? should i stop pumping and just give full formula for my girl?

mummies, u mentioned pump 10-15min is per side or total both sides?

MarieYeo

Hi Huiyin,

Pumping too long might get you sore/cracked nipples n tire you out, are you using a single pump? It will be better to do double as there is more stimulation and you will get better volume over time. A stronger pump will also help...

I pump ard 15-20mins(double) n split tat into 5mins cycles each with a massage in between cycles

SQ79

Hi mummies! I pump every 3-4hrs for 20 mins for 2 sessions at work. Managed to yield abt 250-300ml combined per session. But when I'm at home or not working during the weekends, I'll latch my 6 mths old. The more you latch, the more you will yield the next time you pump. Oh, don't diet yeah. Jia you! :)

Mine counted quite low supply.. Only 580ml daily. I give formula at least once if i realise my fridge low on milk else I try give ebm. I use dual pump for 15mins . Previously with 1 pump. 15mins on each side, holding a cup to catch leakage. I only manage to push my supply up by 10ml after I pump every 2 hr n latch.. Clearing the blocked milk duct very important too.. Jiayou.

huiyin87

how do u warm up the ebm from the fridge? as in how do u know when is the right temperature to feed baby?
now then i realised my supply is miserably low, maybe only 150ml per day.
how much do u get when u pump every 2hr? and do u get sore and painful nipples from the close intervals of pumping?

ling.er

I latch my girl before I work and also pump 10min using dual pump. Able to get 80-100 ml
at work I pump twice . 10.30 -11 & 4 pm .
Able to get 120-130 sometime 100 only . Night after I latch I also pump about 50-80
i also consider low supply as my bb (3month) taking 140-150ml
over all I only get 450ml plus minus

oat and milo is good for boost supply
fish also

my nipples are swollen and red, with some traces of blood strips on it. saw some skin peeling off also. and of course, it causes me so much pain while pumping. i am tinking to go back to my gynae for painkillers.
is this normal?

i m pumping up to 1hr each time, alternating between both sides on and off. but now they r swollen, i only pump 30mins 2-3times a day.

would like to check with u, how often do u pump and for how long? how much milk can u pump each time?
hi huiyin87,

from what i know, it's most ideal to pump up to 800-950ml by 14 days after delivery. 2-3 full pumps should be enough for one time feeding. Your condition doesn't sound very good to me. You might want to try out nipple shields because they can prevent more skin from peeling off. And always ensure after feeding, you wash your nipples and pat them dry so that it won't encourage bacterial growth. Do go see a doctor soon about your skin yup! Take care.

Qookie

In the prenatal class, they taught us after pumping/BFing, hand express some milk out and rub it over your nipples. That helped a lot. I didn't even need to get nipple cream.

Try that! ;)

mommom

is this normal?

would like to check with u, how often do u pump and for how long? how much milk can u pump each time?[/QUOTE

Hi huiyin87, pumping 1hr each time is too long. You'll hurt your nipples. If u want to increase your supply, nurse every 2 to 3 hrs, day n night. And pump for 10 mins each side after nursing. This will get your supply up in 2 to 3 days. If u are doing exclusive pumping, then just pump every 2 to 3 hours, 15 to 20 mins each side.

Drink more water, papaya fish soup, nursing tea etc.

Once your supply is up, u can stop the nursing/pumping marathon. Otherwise will end up with oversupply. U can reduce pumping to every 3 to 4 hours. Not longer than 20 mins each side.

For your sore or cracked nipples, u can apply nipple cream. Or express some milk n apply, allow to airdry.