Need help please - milk intake

tinklish

Hi mummies!! I'm a first time mummy and would like to seek your advises..

My daughter just turn 2 weeks old and was told by PD she should be feeding 75-90ml every 2-4hours. Is that too much for a 2weeks old 3.265kg baby? From birth, we used to give her 45ml every 2 hours.. Gradually increasing to 50ml every 2 hours early this week and now we just increased it to 60ml. But, with the 60ml, she seems to be asking for milk every 1.5-2hours. Should I be feeding her more or less? Am I doing the right thing. I'm lost. Btw, she is being fed with EBM.

Also, is it too early for them to play with their saliva ?? Lately, she started to play with her saliva and sticking out her tongue. Should I be concern?

Many thanks in advance for your replies. Please help.

Coly

When my daughter was 2 wks old, her milk intake was +-90ml every 3hrs. Probably you can try to give her more because if she's full, she will stop drinking.

tinklish

Hi coly! Thank you for your reply. Im glad im not over-feeding her. We just increased her intake to 75ml every 2-2.5 hourly. She has been asking for milk every 1-1.5 hourly lately when fed with 60ml :) I guess you are right. She will stop drinking if she is full. So I guess I shall use her as my gauge.

ast0212

I think paeds forget that every baby is different. A textbook baby will feed x amount every x hours. Some babies will drink lots and maybe feed every 3 hours, while some babies fill up quickly but drink more frequently. You'll know your baby best and your baby knows when she is full. You can continue to feed on demand, letting your baby drink how much she wants, whenever. That way your baby is happy and you are stress free :)

summertime

agree with ast. Cos my bb now is 1mth, he only drink about 90ml every 2 hr sometime onli 6oml.. weight still increasing so i suppose is okay..

tinklish

Summertime, mine (1 month old) drinking 75ml ebm only every 2 hours. Wanted to increase, but she seems o be spitting out milk after every feed of 75ml.

summertime

Summertime, mine (1 month old) drinking 75ml ebm only every 2 hours. Wanted to increase, but she seems o be spitting out milk after every feed of 75ml.

hmm for my bb now almost 7wk drinking 100ml , i slowly increase by 10ml.. so far he is still gaining wt so i guess it ok... if u still worry, it better check wit doc.. =D

tinklish

Summertime, my bb so far is gaining weight too..probably I should start increasing slowly. By the way, I'm feeding fm too at times cos bm supply can't catch up :( I should more or less follow the stated amount of the tin right? It states 120ml (5feeds a day).. So I'm feeding her 60ml every 2 hourly (12 feeds a day) should be fine right?

elbarc81

my bb is more than 3 months old and is drinking 100ml every 3hrs. Guess it varies and depend on the bb weight. Mine weighs 2.5kg during birth n we gave her 90ml when she was 1 month. She started puking n PD said we over fed her.. there is a formula to calculate how much milk to give..n that is based on the weight.. hope this helps =)

shuzhen

My son is 6 weeks old, he drinks 70-90ml every 2 hrs. He was borned with the weight of 2.895kg.In week 4, we brought him to PD for check up and he was 4.24kg. The PD said he was growing slow and have to increase his feeding to 120ml which will last him for 3-4 hrs and 150ml by beginning of 3rd mth. We tried to feed him 120ml but he at most can drink 100ml only. Is his amount of feeding normal during this 6th week old?

ast0212

My son is 6 weeks old, he drinks 70-90ml every 2 hrs. He was borned with the weight of 2.895kg.In week 4, we brought him to PD for check up and he was 4.24kg. The PD said he was growing slow and have to increase his feeding to 120ml which will last him for 3-4 hrs and 150ml by beginning of 3rd mth. We tried to feed him 120ml but he at most can drink 100ml only. Is his amount of feeding normal during this 6th week old?
It is normal :) There is no fixed amount of how much a baby should drink and how often. Your baby has gained significant weight in 4 weeks, I wouldn't be worried as he seems to be growing really well. If your baby does lots of poos and pees, looks content, is gaining some weight - you and your baby are doing a great job!

shuzhen

It is normal :) There is no fixed amount of how much a baby should drink and how often. Your baby has gained significant weight in 4 weeks, I wouldn't be worried as he seems to be growing really well. If your baby does lots of poos and pees, looks content, is gaining some weight - you and your baby are doing a great job!
My son poos and pees daily. Recently his gas released quite stink and also his always seems like forcing himself to poo which causes his face to turn red. Does this happen to all babies?

shuzhen

My son poos and pees daily. Recently his gas released quite stink and also his always seems like forcing himself to poo which causes his face to turn red. Does this happen to all babies?

ast0212

Is he drinking breastmilk or formula? For 6 weeks it normally doesn't happen with breastfed babies but I am not sure for formula fed babies. It sounds like constipation but at the same time newborns are still trying to get their bodies used to pooing.. Hopefully someone here will know :)