Never Married - Adoption w/o Father consent

Dear all, writing to seek help on my case. I am really lost and could not find any information from google.

To cut short the whole story, my EX was in and out of prison since my pregnancy till recently released in Dec 2011.
We have not contacted for the past almost 1.5 years till his released.
I have since married and requested for him to consent to the adoption to my husband as his name is in the BC.
He refused and requested for a large amount of money, which we reject.

Consulted a lawyer and he told me not possible without the father consent unless he is uncontacted. Instead asked to do sole custody, care and control.

Anybody can advise if that is the only thing I can do? With his criminal records since 2005(in his teens years) with the police, medical report to prove his abusive and of cuz obvious proof that he have not paid a single cent towards the child, nor even bothering about the child at all(never request to see the child since released) and not writing to us in the past years he is in prison, can I still not fight for dispense of consent?

An adoption order shall not be made except with the consent of every person or body who is a parent or guardian of the infant in respect of whom the application is made or who has the actual custody of the infant or who is liable to contribute to the support of the infant: Provided that the court may dispense with any consent required by this subsection if the court is satisfied that the person whose consent is to be dispensed with —
(a) has abandoned, neglected, persistently ill-treated the infant or cannot be found and that reasonable notice of the application for an adoption order has been given to the parent or guardian where the parent or guardian can be found;

Amulet

sorry babe, no solution for you on this on my side..

But i just have to say this, UR EX IS FREAKING SHAMELESS! walao.. the skin TMD thicker than elephant.. still got face to ask u all for $$$.. Asshole!

thanks babe.
i guess really nobody can help me with it.
im just too lost thus come and ask. but anyway it'sokie. ive come to term with it.

hoping that now the court will grant me full custody and deny visitation.

Ting

can try recording down him asking u for money to give up his parental rights? maybe can use it against him..? i not sure either. i also gg to do this as well. btw, how much ur lawyer charging u ah?? i checking arnd for quotes. =) my ex tt time say he wil sign, but dont know if his words r for real.. or if he will let us "off" so easily. maybe u can try calling up family court n ask for advices as well.

Amulet

I'm wondering, if the father's name is not is the birth cert, would we need his signature too?

Ting: my lawyer charging me $3.5k - $8k depending on the complexity of the case. Cuz my ex won't corporate. Won't even corporate to be home to receive the writs from the court. Therefore have to spend additional legal fee to go court apply permit to paste on his door, go for additional court session etc.
but I've a friend whose ex is willing to give up for adoption, my lawyer charge her flat $3.5k cuz is a straight forward case.
he very smart, knowing that if he say again we will record or save it as hard evidence. Therefore now he will just say 'clean job', 'I've Said my piece' or 'go and think what u wan'. Hais.

Amulet: I think if not inside BC no need to have father consent. No father under law means 'don't know or unsure who the father of the child is'

Ting

amulet: i think no need leh, unless the bio father finds out n contest against it? but i doubt he would ba.

lynn: thanks babe. cos i hv been told by a few it will be in the range of 3-4K, so wanna dbl cfm it LOL! in case i kena chopped! but i havent decide which lawyer yet, waiting for them to give me final quote first~

xiaodaisy

I'm wondering, if the father's name is not is the birth cert, would we need his signature too?
no need =) my eldest son changed to my hubby's surname after we ROM , simple n easy bcos no father's name included in birth cert LOL ! am glad i nvr allowed him to put his name haha

cloudstardust5

no need =) my eldest son changed to my hubby's surname after we ROM , simple n easy bcos no father's name included in birth cert LOL ! am glad i never allowed him to put his name haha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glad to hear it, xiaodaisy. I am now trying to change my wife daughter's surname to mine. Hopefully the adoption will go smoothly too and the court won't ask for that man consent since no father name included in the birth cert too....worried

xiaodaisy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glad to hear it, xiaodaisy. I am now trying to change my wife daughter's surname to mine. Hopefully the adoption will go smoothly too and the court won't ask for that man consent since no father name included in the birth cert too....worried
good luck !! =)

-SRI-

I checked with MCYS. There's no need to ask for the father consent if on the child birth cert didnt insert his name. We (u & husband) can so called adopt ur own child but need to come dwn personally to MCYS. And they said, the baby bonus will be given (pro-rated) as long as the child is below 6 yrs old. Contemplating shld I adopt juz to benefit on the baby bonus since they extend it till the child 12 yrs old?

Ting

baby bonus is til the child turn 6 yo only. it is CDA that is extended til 12yo. =)

cloudstardust5

good luck !! =)
Hi xiaodaisy - Can you recommend me the adoption lawyer you went to? I just went to one and was quote 8K-15K.

The lawyer insisted that we (me and my wife) have to try to contact her Ex to inform him that we are going to adopt the child and write the affiliate stating the whole history of how she met the man, got pregnant-ed, and so on and that she had tried to find the Ex but in vain. The lawyer even say we need to co-adopt the child even though my wife is the natural mother of the child.

The thing is the man name is not even in the child birth cert and I had thought it will be a straight forward process. Also, I didn't want my wife to go through the pain of bringing up the past again.....I really need a good adoption lawyer that can help us

hapieger

baby bonus is til the child turn 6 yo only. it is CDA that is extended til 12yo. =)
Hi ting,

I couldnt find any info on the extended baby bonus.
My gal just turned 2 and i have just settled my adoption case.

Hopefully i could get part of the baby bonus as her cc fee.

chairhugger

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope it all gets completely resolved soon.

Also, another thing you may wish to consider is what happens if something happens to you (touchwood!). I understand from your post that your husband has no parental rights over your child at the moment. Have you got that covered? That is, your husband is able to get parental rights and guardianship if something happens to you.

Not trying to add more worry for you, just something for you to think of after this entire issue is settled. Good luck babe. Hugs.