Newborn feeding time

Juz17

Dear all,
I would like to check whether do you feed your newborn at a certain intervals (ie every 3 hours) or simply wait till baby cry for milk? How about do you wake baby up for night feed or wait for baby to cry? If you feed your baby at an interval, when do you stop doing that and let baby sleep thru?

Thank you. :)

ast0212

Hi, I have a 2 week old. Whenever she wakes or fusses I put booby in her mouth, if she wants it she'll take it. Can be any time, even half hour after previous feed, or 1-3 hours.

For night feeds I wait for her to grizzle (she hardly ever cries!) since I'm in deep sleep I need her to wake me hahah. For the past couple of days she cluster feeds between 8pm-12 and then feeds 3-5 hourly at night between 12am-8am. Sleeping through means sleeping for 5 hours so I guess she's getting there but I'm not fussed...she'll do it when she's ready :)

Juz17

Hi, I have a 2 week old. Whenever she wakes or fusses I put booby in her mouth, if she wants it she'll take it. Can be any time, even half hour after previous feed, or 1-3 hours.

For night feeds I wait for her to grizzle (she hardly ever cries!) since I'm in deep sleep I need her to wake me hahah. For the past couple of days she cluster feeds between 8pm-12 and then feeds 3-5 hourly at night between 12am-8am. Sleeping through means sleeping for 5 hours so I guess she's getting there but I'm not fussed...she'll do it when she's ready :)
Wow, i wish i got your energy and patience. :X I am so tired whenever i wake up at wee timing just for feeding...and i am giving her formula...not BF...can teach me how u stay alert at the wee hours? Did you put yr baby beside u in bed? :) I wanted to so it's easier for me to observe my girl but my hubby scare he hit her accidentally so i got to wake up physically when she makes some noise...sigh...super tiring for me....

ast0212

I go online to stay awake hahaha...reading articles and facebooking and stuff...otherwise yeah it is soooo hard to stay awake! I often find myself nodding off if I am not doing anything else.

My baby sleeps in a bassinet next to our bed. I'm not confident in bed sharing even though I sleep like a log and hardly move. If you co-sleep as a safety precaution don't put baby in between you and hubby :)

marshmallows

My boy had jaundice so for the whole of first month, I woke him up for night feeds cos jaundice babies are usually very sleepy but they need to feed more to wash out the bilbrulin from their body. I was breastfeeding him totally but to me I was feeling quite ok, not that dead tired. I'm a naturally light sleeper, and the thought of clearing his jaundice was way more important than my sleep haha.

Anyway after first month, I didn't wake him for night feeds cos his jaundice was clearing. I just fed on demand during night when he cries for milk, and every 2.5 - 3 hourly in the day. He slept through the night at 6 weeks old (6-7hrs straight).

Last edited:

Juz17

I go online to stay awake hahaha...reading articles and facebooking and stuff...otherwise yeah it is soooo hard to stay awake! I often find myself nodding off if I am not doing anything else.

My baby sleeps in a bassinet next to our bed. I'm not confident in bed sharing even though I sleep like a log and hardly move. If you co-sleep as a safety precaution don't put baby in between you and hubby :)
How do you feed and surf at the same time? erm...i try to do that but i cant hold the bottle and hold the baby and hold my iphone...lol...unless i use my face to support the bottle? :p lol

Juz17

My boy had jaundice so for the whole of first month, I woke him up for night feeds cos jaundice babies are usually very sleepy but they need to feed more to wash out the bilbrulin from their body. I was breastfeeding him totally but to me I was feeling quite ok, not that dead tired. I'm a naturally light sleeper, and the thought of clearing his jaundice was way more important than my sleep haha.

Anyway after first month, I didn't wake him for night feeds cos his jaundice was clearing. I just fed on demand during night when he cries for milk, and every 2.5 - 3 hourly in the day. He slept through the night at 6 weeks old (6-7hrs straight).
REALLY? I wish my girl can do that...she is now 5 weeks old...the longest wee hours she stay asleep is only 4 hours...else she is super prompt is telling us she is hungry...and a hungry girl is an angry girl...she scream for milk...scary...

ast0212

I breastfeed so I usually have one hand free to surf the net...over the past 2 years I have become faster at typing with one hand hahaha... but I have yet to master cooking while breastfeeding..

hmmm..otherwise can you support baby with your forearm so your other hand is free? Not sure how bottle-feeding positioning works but like with breastfeeding baby is resting on my forearm so I can use my hand for texting on phone while other arm is free to do anything else.

4 hours sleep is really good!! A lot of babies are waking up every 2-3 hours at that age :) Your daughter sounds lot like my son too...without warning he will cry his lungs out for milk...like he wants the whole world know that he is hungry!

lyra

4 hours sleep is good! Marshmallow, your baby can sleep through the night at 6 weeks! Wow! My baby is now 5 months and wakes up every 3 hours interval at night. I tried feeding him more in the day so he is fuller and sleep more at night but he vomit instead. So I just have to accept that he will wake up every 3 hr until he's ready to sleep through. I breastfeed too and I put baby between hubby and me but closer to me with a bolster between baby and hubby. Maternal instinct kept me from accidentally hurting baby while sleeping. When I feel that I may hit baby, I'll wake up. I'm also trained to wake up every 3 hrs at night to feed him haha. We tried putting baby in cot but its too tiring for me during night feeds so we decided to have a family bed instead.

If you formula feed, maybe you can get your hubby to do some of the feeds? Hehe my friend bottle feed ebm and got her hubby or mother to do some of the night feeds so she can rest.

Juz17

I breastfeed so I usually have one hand free to surf the net...over the past 2 years I have become faster at typing with one hand hahaha... but I have yet to master cooking while breastfeeding..

hmmm..otherwise can you support baby with your forearm so your other hand is free? Not sure how bottle-feeding positioning works but like with breastfeeding baby is resting on my forearm so I can use my hand for texting on phone while other arm is free to do anything else.

4 hours sleep is really good!! A lot of babies are waking up every 2-3 hours at that age :) Your daughter sounds lot like my son too...without warning he will cry his lungs out for milk...like he wants the whole world know that he is hungry!
Ya...I can't. I usually standby alot of things to feed my girl..to prevent me falling asleep..like my iPhone drama, earphones, cushions to support my arms that is supporting her as she sometimes drinks for ard 30mins to45 mins...if I wan to change episode on my iPhone, I used my face to support the bottle! Lol....anyway no free hand. Can someone invent bottle holding device? Hahahahah

Juz17

Yaya, now my hubby let me sleeps from 9pm onwards an he will feed baby until last feed ard 12.30am...then night feed I take cos I'm still on maternity leave...if I'm lucky, baby wakes up ard 5am so I got enough sleep, else, no choice...lol

ftlad

I give formula milk on demand, my baby usually woke up every 3hourly. If she didn't cry for milk after 4hours, I will wake her up. Because a newborn needs to feed 2-3hourly for survival. As she grew I gave her more milk during the day, her night feedings gradually decrease. I am thankful she started to sleep thru the night since she was 3months plus. Now she's 6months and still sleeps thru the night. :)
I think there's always the initial struggle to deal with night wakings but I gradually get used to it and try to nap during the day while baby is napping too.

xiaodaisy

personally , i only feed on demand .. my nb feeding time is longer den most of the babies .. day time , she can last 4-5hrs and nite time she slp thro till morning which is abt 6-7hrs ..

sometimes wen she want comfort sucking , i just place her sideway near my breast n pop her , so baby slp , mummy slp too LOL !!

Juz17

Latest update, my gal can sleep thru the night from 11pm to 9am already. The only thing we did is let her sleep between me n hubby. ;)

missyqiqi

Previously my gal I feed her on demand but she quite on time 3hourly once, unless she having growth spurts which she will cry for 1-2hourly. :D

My baby girl sleep through the night when she's almost 3months old, we didn't do anything, she just sleep through, vut she drink slightly more before going to sleep.

raoul

hi mummies ,
my 3 weeks old, also sleep around 4-5 hours at night then she will cry for milk. in the day, she can last 3-4 hours. she is on formula (taking NAN PRO 1) & she is intaking around 60-90ml per feeding, occasionally she intaking 100-120ml at night.
she poo once a day & her poo coloured yellow mustard. sometimes in the day she is intaking about 30-40ml with 2 hrs interval, but sometimes she sleeping for 4 hrs & i will wake her up for milk. her feeding pattern is not regular. is it ok for baby at her age?