Nipples after expressing

pmcheng

My nipples feel super sore after expressing. I'm using the Medela Mini Electric Plus and the breastshield is a standard size. Not sure if the soreness I'm feeling is because of: (1) I maxed out the suction power as the Medela manual says this is most efficient mode of expression, i.e. draws out more milk in less time, or (2) the breastshield is not suitable. This is my first baby so I have no idea how our nipples should rightly feel like after expression. Should it feel absolutely comfortable like how we BF our babies, or is the soreness normal 'aftermath' of expressing?

Because of this discomfort, I prefer baby to latch. However this is not sustainable, esp if we bring baby out or when I return to work..

Any tips mummies?

ast0212

I wasn't a frequent expresser but I think that max is really strong! Maybe some women can take it but I found it really painful like someone was dragging me around by the nipples! It might be best to adjust it to your comfort level? Or start soft and increase it gradually so it doesn't feel like your nipples are being yanked out straight away.

I didn't like expressing...mostly because I could never express much, it felt uncomfortable and unnatural. If you can latch baby on that's the best....baby will drink better this way and you both benefit from skin to skin bonding - helps your milk supply and let down reflex.

Don't worry right now about not being able to feed baby out and about or going back to work. It does get easier feeding baby outside once you get the hang of it. You can find a nursing room or a nice comfy cafe to sit and feed. If you feel uncomfortable when in public you can use a blanket to cover :) But I found covers useful till they get to the distracted stage...then I did without a cover. Just had to be quick to cover myself when baby pulls off to look what's going on around! :001_302:

pmcheng

Wow, you're an expert at BF in public! I tried once with the nursing cover while bringing my son to the PD, and my arms were aching from carrying him for so long cos he latched for a long time. As for expressing, maybe need to play around with the suction power again. My supply is terribly low - only one side that generates 30ml and other side just a few drops. :( Taking Fenugreek now hoping to increase milk supply...

ast0212

haha not an expert but it does take lots of practice. Easier when baby is older and knows exactly where nipple is...yet they can get easily distracted. Sometimes it can get very tiring especially when they go through growth spurts and can feed for an hour or more per feed...

As for pumping, it's not a very good indicator of how much your baby is actually drinking because babies are best at extracting milk. I've heard of some mothers who can't even express a drop but their babies are thriving soley on breastmilk! Like you I could only extract 30ml from one side and much less than that from another...lucky if I could get 40ml in total from both breasts! Yet baby was content and growing well, lots of wet nappies and very alert. Those are the best indicators of whether baby has enough milk when latching on :)

Latching on baby as often as possible is really the best way to increase milk supply. Another great and natural way would be to have your baby close to you most of the time, preferrably skin to skin as this affects the hormones in your body and tells your breasts to produce more milk.

lyra

Try using a sling. I use a sling which has a flap to use as nursing cover when I nurse in public or when there are visitors in my home and i want to chat with them while i nurse baby. Direct latching is the best way when bringing baby out. No heavy barang barangs to bring out, nothing to sterilize or wash... can just pop baby to breast and both baby and I are happy. haha. I saw my friend bring lots of stuff out coz she's used to feeding baby bottled ebm. Poor thing.

Wow, you're an expert at BF in public! I tried once with the nursing cover while bringing my son to the PD, and my arms were aching from carrying him for so long cos he latched for a long time. As for expressing, maybe need to play around with the suction power again. My supply is terribly low - only one side that generates 30ml and other side just a few drops. :( Taking Fenugreek now hoping to increase milk supply...

STmummy

I dont recommend medela mini electric. Used that for my 1st pregnancy and have the same problem as you. sore nipples and very little milk supply when expressed.
A lactaction consultant who taught me on the proper latching, also suggested for me to try a better breast pump. She loan one to me with a stronger motor (cant recall which brand), I tried for a week and the milk supply really increases and no more sore nipples. Went to buy a better pump after that. Medela Swing. Breastfed my son exclusively for 13 months, both direct and bottle.
Now for my 2nd baby (6 month old), still using the same pump - Medela Swing, and still breastfeeding exclusively.

Yes, direct latch increases the milk supply, I am also taking fernugreek at the same time to increase the milk supply, but getting a good pump will definitely help too.

Jode

I have tried the medela mini electric before and my nipples hurt after expressing too. in comparison, the medela PISA and freestyle is gentler on the nipples. perhaps you may want to invest a bit more and get a better one. you can then continue to bf after you return to work.

for me, i dare not bf my baby in public. so i made sure that i meet my friends in malls or places where there are nursing rooms available. :p

pmcheng

wow, thanks mummies! that's a great deal of gd advice! yah i'm kind of regretting purchasing the medela mini electric plus. i tried a lower pump pressure on the mini electric plus and it hurts less - which is gd news. i also tried to pump while my son is latching on one side so that i don't 'waste' the let down on the other side. this seems to help, though i would've preferred to see much more ebm in the bottle. haha!

as for bf in public, i think i'll be like Jode when i'm out and done with confinement. i don't think i'm that confident to bf in public so it's places with nursing rooms for now. :)

verarone

hi mummies, i realised that ive sm black dots on my nipples after expressing... is that norm? wil it go off by itself?